Checking the nuts on the river (specific situation)

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There have been topics on this rule before, but is it against the rules or discouraged in cash games, as well as tournaments? Because if so I can think of a rather unlikely, but extremely problematic scenario:

Let's say you're in live play at a venue that offers a bad beat jackpot. You hold the A of clubs, villain holds the 9...let's say pocket 9s. On the river, the board hits to give you a royal flush and villain a straight flush at the same time. Villain checks his straight flush, but he's been checking the whole way--not having anything but an underpair until the river--so you can't suspect that's what he actually has--but you do know that on the slight chance he does, you win the jackpot. I'm almost 100% sure bad beat jackpots have a rule that the hand has to go to showdown or it's doesn't count. In such a situation, NOT checking the royal here would be UNBELIEVABLY stupid...but if there is a rule against checking the nuts, would someone have to screw themselves out of the jackpot?

I mean...I don't even know that the rule even applies in cash games. Even if it's just "frowned upon" I guess people would be pretty understanding in a scenario like that.

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most bbj's also indicate needing to use both hole cards.

Not to mention why you would think he is going to fold given if he has the sf and suspects you might have the rf then he is going to get the better part of the bbj if it was applicable since he was the one with the losing hand and gets the biggest share.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, both hole cards. I still dont get why we check back? He isnt folding a straight flush. Maybe I am misunderstanding

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most bbj's also indicate needing to use both hole cards.

Not to mention why you would think he is going to fold given if he has the sf and suspects you might have the rf then he is going to get the better part of the bbj if it was applicable since he was the one with the losing hand and gets the biggest share.

Oh right, forgot about that bit. The scenario can be tweaked to still allow for a low end straight flush being beat by a royal using both hole cards, but I forgot about the...well, basically the whole point of there being a bad beat jackpot. >_<

Yup, both hole cards. I still dont get why we check back? He isnt folding a straight flush. Maybe I am misunderstanding

Hmm... (egg lands on face)

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you ever find yourself in any bad beat jackpot situation that you think some drunk/crazy might fold a straight flush to your royal (laughing really hard right now) and want to check the nuts feel free it will just be a penalty. Don't stress about it. :)