Check Raising is a Deadly Weapon.
I read an article today by DANIEL NEGREANU about how check raising can be used as a deadly weapon. It creates deception. "The key thing about the check-raise is that it helps neutralize a positional disadvantage. While you should understand that it's better to act last, the check-raise is a weapon that can help an out-of-position player defend himself."
To paraphase, here's some ways how check raising can help you:
• It negates the positional advantage or disadvantage.
• You can trap aggressive opponents for more chips.
• It adds deception. It mixes up your game and it becomes less predictable.
• It makes your opponents think twice and once your opponents know that you're capable of raising after you've checked, it will fool them into checking the best hand behind you, and could earn you a valuable free card.
• It knocks out players of the pot becuase a check-raise can help you force an opponent to fold a hand that he'd likely call for one bet not two bets.
• It's another bluffing
option because the check-raise is usually a powerful ploy played with a powerful hand. But, you can also can use it as a sophisticated bluff against thinking opponents.