The Calling Bluff

6a6yJIbkO_o

6a6yJIbkO_o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know the kind of bluff I'm talking about? Where you don't really have anything yourself but you do have position on your opponent and you suspect he is weak. So you call his possible C-bet on the flop to see what he does on the turn. If he checks, you bet. If he bets, you fold.

Is this a weapon you include in your arsenal? If so, how often do you use it? What kind of opponent do you want to use it against? What kind of a read should you have on him?

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually play freerolls, and it happens very often, opponent c-bet on the flop and on the turn he checks to fold my bet.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's called a float.

Do it when you have a read on the villain or some sort of a draw for best results.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, sometimes I do it. But not too often since you can lose a lot if opponents realize what u do. ;)

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Floating

Works well with players that cbet with the "one then done" mentality. ie they cbet and just give up on the turn if you call.

E

Elena81

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With these weapons need to be careful because the opponent is getting used to this game, and often need to change tactics.

T

tim10pak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You usually do not want to call the bluff even if it is a bluff unless you have a draw on the turn since depending on the player the bluff can be 50/50. If you have a read it is a bluff you usually want to 3bet calling isn't the best idea because they may be drawing for a straight/flush or even two pair.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont use that strategy very often but sometimes is payful,I Need to risk and there is no need for that,when I use that only against player who like to bet on everythink.....

P

Poker247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Smart play is to only do this when you have position, have possible draws to improve your hand, and have a good read that your villain will fold if bet on turn... otherwise just asking for trouble imo.

Zia

Zia

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is definitely one of the tools in my toolbox that I pull out and put to use when the player gives me the tells to do so.

luiaguila

luiaguila

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is no weapon lanterns are useless if you get the profits that are not worth it , another rule always have to raise or fold , and online at low levels almost never gonna make three bet after you did a Three bet

D

dturner100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a guy in a mid level SNG raise me preflop out of position the other day. Had a feeling it was BS. I call with J3s. I mean the BB is 20 and he raises 200. I feel it's a donk over playing AJ so I call it.
Flop comes 6/3/Q. Could have been wrong. He could have been holding AQ, but I had a feeling he was holding AJ. So he checks, I check. Turn rag, River rag.
He pushes all but 100 of his 1500 chips...
I hit my timer button. How confident am I he's hold AJ?
I call. He shows AJo beaten by my J3s...

I don't consider what I did a good play, but it's just so often that these new SNG players overplay AJ I had him pegged to it.

Sorry for the rambling. This post just reminded me of that hand.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a guy in a mid level SNG raise me preflop out of position the other day. Had a feeling it was BS. I call with J3s. I mean the BB is 20 and he raises 200. I feel it's a donk over playing AJ so I call it.
Flop comes 6/3/Q. Could have been wrong. He could have been holding AQ, but I had a feeling he was holding AJ. So he checks, I check. Turn rag, River rag.

I don't consider what I did a good play, but it's just so often that these new SNG players overplay AJ I had him pegged to it.

Lol, this is gold

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you suspect that your opponent is Cbetting with air, you have 2 options:
- Float the flop and take it away on the turn (what you've described in the OP)
- Raise the flop

piney

piney

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is hard to know if it is a bluff if the player stays tight. The same bet reeels you in for the call just when you do they have you. It is better to min reraise them and see if it is for sure a bluff or fold and get out of the hand til you have them then make your move.

Jrbobdobbs64

Jrbobdobbs64

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you suspect that your opponent is Cbetting with air, you have 2 options:
- Float the flop and take it away on the turn (what you've described in the OP)
- Raise the flop

Beware idiots like me that call with air lol

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do this in tournaments when I have a big enough stack or when I'm sure that the opp

I do this in tournaments when I have a big enough stack or when I'm sure that the opponent is bluffing or he has a small pair. In the cache, I do this much less often, because I risk real money there. It makes sense to call if you are looking for some combination or you have a prospect, but just so to call, in order to see what the opponent will do next, it's foolish to mine. As a result, if you often do this, you will lose more money than you win, what this means to understand it, you do not need to read books or watch videos. You always need to play with a good card and then sooner or later you will succeed.

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I have nice cards then I can call there is a lot of blarira and catch me and I'm losing all my money

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fell into such a trap today
although I had 8% equity to the river