Calling 3 streets with top pair

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was a hand that I recently played vs a villain. My question is regarding to his play. How often would you call 3 streets with top pair and a decent kicker? can villain ever fold here?

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $3.32 (166 bb)
MP: $2.28 (114 bb)
CO: $1.75 (88 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)
SB: $5.15 (258 bb)
BB: $3.82 (191 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with A K
UTG raises to $0.06, 2 players fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.17, 2 players fold, UTG calls $0.11

Flop: ($0.37) K A 2 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.27, UTG calls $0.27

Turn: ($0.91) 6 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.72, UTG calls $0.72

River: ($2.35) 8 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.84 (all-in), UTG calls $0.84

Total pot: $4.03 (Rake: $0.20)

Showdown:
BU (Hero) shows A K (two pair, Aces and Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 71%, Flop: 98%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

UTG shows Q A (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 29%, Flop: 2%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

BU (Hero) wins $3.83

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty shitty spot for AQ. Against some players maybe I find a fold on the turn, but I think, its normal for AQ to go broke here.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
you make a correct cbet with this AKd, but, this villain is probably inexperienced, this AQ is in a bad spot after 3x Cbet, a regular player would fold this hand in my opinion

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
regular player would fold this hand in my opinion
Ok if we're folding this hand then why are calling the flop in the first place? It's hard to understand, like what is the indication that we're beat given that we have top pair and a decent kicker.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Against a nit I fold.

Against a loose aggressive player I call.

Against most players at 2nl I fold. There is not enough bluffs that they do after that flop. And few are overvaluing worse Ax these days.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This was a hand that I recently played vs a villain. My question is regarding to his play. How often would you call 3 streets with top pair and a decent kicker? can villain ever fold here?

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $3.32 (166 bb)
MP: $2.28 (114 bb)
CO: $1.75 (88 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)
SB: $5.15 (258 bb)
BB: $3.82 (191 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with A K
UTG raises to $0.06, 2 players fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.17, 2 players fold, UTG calls $0.11

Flop: ($0.37) K A 2 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.27, UTG calls $0.27

Turn: ($0.91) 6 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.72, UTG calls $0.72

River: ($2.35) 8 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.84 (all-in), UTG calls $0.84

Total pot: $4.03 (Rake: $0.20)

Showdown:
BU (Hero) shows A K (two pair, Aces and Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 71%, Flop: 98%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

UTG shows Q A (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 29%, Flop: 2%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

BU (Hero) wins $3.83

You have two pair and turn the nut flush draw. For your opponent, it's micro stakes and they tend to call a lot with top pairs with a good kicker, especially when the flush draw missed the river.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
You have two pair and turn the nut flush draw. For your opponent, it's micro stakes and they tend to call a lot with top pairs with a good kicker, especially when the flush draw missed the river.

As I understand it: the OP ask what you would do in villains shoes. Do you call three streets with AQ here?

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As I understand it: the OP ask what you would do in villains shoes. Do you call three streets with AQ here?

It's honestly a coin-flip for me. The top pair almost top kicker could be good, but to a shove just feels rough. It could go either way for me.

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it really depends on what reads you have on UTG, or in their case, what reads they have on you in the session. If a good tight-aggressive player raises from UTG, chances are, they are only doing it with the strongest hands. If they see you playing smartly, then they also would know that in your position, you’d really only 3bet if you have a hand that beats AQ+ and probably QQ+. And if they think you are a bit aggressive, then maybe the range expands to high connectors and TT+. So when they see AK on the flop, villain should think that there is a high likelihood that they are beat.

He could call one street if they he thought you were bluffing, and maybe a smallish donk bet on the turn or check raise all in on the turn if he thinks you were bluffing or trying to draw for a flush. But I don’t know if I’d call all the way down like that from UTG unless I really thought you were bluffing and trying to catch one.

I think with AQ, it’d be hard not to lose your stack here. But for me, it’s about how you lose that stack more than that you lose your stack. The way villain played that hand, the only ways he could have won is by bluff catching (or on your bad play and overvaluing a decent hand). If he played a bit more aggressively, he could have at least won by being too aggressive and at least make you sweat a little. If he check raised on the turn, would you think that he had AA or KK. Or would his decision to simply call your 3bet OOP be enough for you to conclude that he didn’t have one of those two holdings? How would this have affected your play?

Then again, it’s NL2, and I don’t know if we can really give villains that much credit. 🤷*♂️

My son’s basketball coach would tell my son’s team that he is okay with mistakes made if they are made because of aggressiveness, but he gets angry if he makes them by playing too passively. I think that idea applies here too.

My 2c.

Last edited:
Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Recall that in those micro levels is where many players start their first experiences at the cash tables ... and do not have enough experience to make the relevant analyzes ... therefore this specific situation ... the villain (UTG) connects the top pair and has a high kicker ... so make a simple decision and play check - call ... without doing any other valuation of the hand ...!

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t see a flaw with calling with AQ here. Especially against an opponent who is betting a lot or very predictable. Top pair with a good kicker wins quite often. Obviously against a tight player or a nitty one finding a fold is easy.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If it is min raises, yes I will call with an AQ. I would not risk my roll with calling a shove though.

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA and q kicker is pretty good. I don't know about all in though