Bomb Pots Strategy

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are any of you playing the Bomb Pots at ACR? Just curious if anyone has any suggestions for strategy on these tables when everyone sees the flop with any two cards. It definitely seems like being able to read the board is of the utmost importance. I've been a bit surprised that top pair takes down these pots a fair amount of time. I expected it to be always two pair plus similar to Omaha and anything less was a simple toss into the muck.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Once upon a time i did a simulation of a game when 6-9 people played without bets and everyone goes to the showdown. It seems that the number of pairs was slightly less than the number of two pairs. And because in a real game there are folds on various boards, then the number of winning combinations with pairs can outweighs...

J

Julez97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have not played many myself, but you might want to check our Andrew Neeme and Brad Owen on YouTube. From what I can tell, you generally want to be fairly tight, and very aggressive in bomb pots. If you have a nutted draw, or 2 pair, its not a bad idea to get the money in try and stack players. Its going to be really high variance though so you will lose quite often, so when you do win, you want to win a big pot.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bomb pots at ACR

Been playing these tables at Omaha Hi/lo tables. Kind of like it as they add more $ to the pot and keep players in that should be folding. With 1 Bomb pot about every 10 minutes it makes the game a tad more interesting.

Good Luck All! :D

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is helpful context. It would indicate that more often than not, top pair on the flop would be the best hand and worth proceeding with. Even up against two pair, you have a good number of draws to catch up.
Once upon a time i did a simulation of a game when 6-9 people played without bets and everyone goes to the showdown. It seems that the number of pairs was slightly less than the number of two pairs. And because in a real game there are folds on various boards, then the number of winning combinations with pairs can outweighs...

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have noticed that even on tight tables, the action explodes on the bomb pots. I can see being the aggressor with a draw, but it's still surprising to see so many calls with draws where the odds are clearly not in the caller's favor. People seem to go crazy and just want to get lucky with all kinds of draws including gutshot straight draws on a monotone board. These games are clearly not for the faint-hearted.
Have not played many myself, but you might want to check our Andrew Neeme and Brad Owen on YouTube. From what I can tell, you generally want to be fairly tight, and very aggressive in bomb pots. If you have a nutted draw, or 2 pair, its not a bad idea to get the money in try and stack players. Its going to be really high variance though so you will lose quite often, so when you do win, you want to win a big pot.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are any of you playing the Bomb Pots at ACR? Just curious if anyone has any suggestions for strategy on these tables when everyone sees the flop with any two cards. It definitely seems like being able to read the board is of the utmost importance. I've been a bit surprised that top pair takes down these pots a fair amount of time. I expected it to be always two pair plus similar to Omaha and anything less was a simple toss into the muck.

Wait - there's strategy??? LOL

I've been on 9-handed micro tables and they seemed pretty tight - with little action.

I had to keep reminding myself that almost half the deck is out there and if I don't have something pretty good - then it is a good chance that somebody else does.

Honestly out of a dozen bomb pots I have only had one good hand that flopped top top and I won the pot.

On a 6-handed table I was able to steal the bloated pot a couple of times OOP with total air.

Good luck !

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have noticed that even on tight tables, the action explodes on the bomb pots. I can see being the aggressor with a draw, but it's still surprising to see so many calls with draws where the odds are clearly not in the caller's favor. People seem to go crazy and just want to get lucky with all kinds of draws including gutshot straight draws on a monotone board. These games are clearly not for the faint-hearted.

Ha ha! Your description reminds me of splash pots in live cash games.

An extra $50 or $100 on the table just turns the table mental!

Good luck !

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mike, you're right about the extra money in the pot making players go crazy. Even a blind straddle in a cash game seems to turn up the action quite a bit. I do like these Bomb Pot tables, even if only for the added entertainment value of watching everyone go nuts when the bomb goes off.

Ha ha! Your description reminds me of splash pots in live cash games.

An extra $50 or $100 on the table just turns the table mental!

Good luck !

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't experimented, I play Texas hold'em and Omaha for me and that's enough.