Bluffing

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was wondering. When is it a good time to bluff? I'm intrested in your opinions.

Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best time to bluff is when the other guy will fold ;]

it does vary in the games and limits you play at

low limit poker bluffing is rarely worthwhile

The Silencer

The Silencer

The Nearly Man
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best time to bluff!!!

The best time to bluff must be with out a doubt when is worth the bluff,you have to study your opponents and know when is the rigth time.Another thing special is how much gonna cost you the bluff if they call you and how much is the stack of your opponent.

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If players will call you down no matter what, DONT BLUFF. If you are playing in a game where your opponents dont notice that you only play good hands, don't even attempt to bluff.

Normally in loose games, don't waste your time and money trying to pull off a bluff.

In home tournaments/ sit-n-gos, I almost NEVER bluff early on...I play straight poker and wait till the table gets shorthanded.

You also have to be smart as to when you might think your opponent might be bluffing.

For example if you hold A4 of diamonds and you call a small raise preflop and the pot is 3 handed, and the flop comes:

2-2-6 rainbow

and the player in first position bets a lot and everyone folds to you, you should think about what this player would bet here. Would he bet trip twos? Would he have called preflop with a 2 or a 6 in his hand? Also, if I re-raise him what is the likely hood that he will fold? etc.

In this situation I would raise over the top and if your opponent is bluffing, he will throw it away almost every time.

S

smilerkyle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i love to bluff and if i win with a weak hand, i love to show them that they should have won.
on a big table i do this 2 or 3 times and try to make them think i bluff, then never do it again. only bet big hands and get called all the time. this is the best way to make lots of money from big hands. multi table tournys r hard cos people leave and come to ur table to u cant keep a rep for bluffing. i always raise big blind if i am small blind and no1 calls him. i dont like people checking. i make them buy the flop.

2bithoe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel you can only bluff a good player. Someone that is thinking about what cards you and willing to give up a quality hand. There are so many willy nilly players out there that don't care. They will be calling stations to the end so be careful.

M

mikekac

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe its best bluffing at the end of a tourney rite after a low bet and then a check on the next round of betting... at the end of the tourney u may want to bluff all in if u cover him by a lot

S

scratch_man

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well bluff when you know your opponent can get scared by you. If he usually calls your bets, dont bluff.

T

treesap21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing

When I bluff I usually bet then if somebody raises I will reraise its a risk but it works if your confident

C

Crock65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me the best time to bluff is when you are the big stack and can afford to lose to the smaller chipped player. I try not to bet more than I can afford to llose.

U

uetzb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely need to have some cash that you can afford to lose to be able to bluff convincingly. I usually will bluff once I have picked up the other players tendencies and I am pretty confident in what they will do in reaction to my bet.

B

Bke20

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
BLUFFING

I bluff the most on the dealer button or big blind. Those are the positions I feel that if people dont have a strong hand they are most likey to fold to you.

P

paradocks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to agree with chicubs1616, early on I will almost never bluff unless I am
absolutely sure they will fold, randomly stabbing at the pot is so uneffective
when I could save the bet for a much more favourable hand. On the other hand I also like to try and call down the loose bluff type player as best I can.. even if I'm wrong for a smell bet it may save me getting bluffed next time by him when he decides he'll try it on a supposedly tighter player.

S

SteveMagic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the only time i lose money is when i bluff.

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be succesful at the bluffing you need luck, skill, judgement and bravery

If you are a tight player and are very selective then you will be a succesful bluffer late tourney, as more attention is paid to what you are doing by your opponents. A huge raise when the blinds are big on a 6-8 player table, will normally win you the blinds unlesss another player is sitting with AA AK KK etc

I love it when I raise, a player calls to see the flop, I hit them with another huge raise, especially if low cards come down. It nearly always wins me the pot.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Late position, 1st round of betting after the flop if checked around to you by one or two oponents. Don't try to bluff if someone has invested a lot in the pot. Calling will be like an itch they must scratch.

V

VegasGrinder

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never show your hand. That is a BIG rookie Mistake. You are giving information every time you show your cards. Why give free info?

The idea of you sow 3 times than never bluff again and get called when you have big hands is rediculous. What are you going to do when your cards run dry? Can't Bluff or you will get called.

What you are doing is taking a game of skill and turning it in to gambling. You can no longer out play anyone at the Table, you can only hope that you have the Goods.

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience, the only profitable times to bluff are when you are fairly certain that your opponent will fold, and when playing experienced players that don't chase cards. Low-limit games rarely present a bluffing situation. Also, as a side note, I have only shown my hand on a small handfull of occasions in cash games. I don't really see the benefit of giving that information as a rule.

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At low limit tables or I suspect in freerolls, it's almost never going to work. The only time I'll try is if I see an EXTREMELY tight player at a table. If the flop is all suited for example I might push hard to represent the flush. It rarely works but feels REAL good when it does. When you get caught, just fold and smile. I will sometimes play a bad hand and get caught just to make folks think I'm loose and easy to beat...

H

Heshkak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely ston cold bluff. Blufiing with nothing is usually pointless. Playing posiiton is quite another thing, also semi-bluffing works well as well. Say for instance you have a flush draw, in position, and it's checked to you. That's a good time to put a bet out there. (good case = everyone folds and u win the pot, best case = you get called and hit your flush, worst case = you get called or re-raised and you miss your draw)

P

Paterik66

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is something that you rarelily do, if you got the tight image and everyone respect your bet, then its ok to pull a bluff from time to time, also if the oppurtunity is right... but never bluff into more than one player.

woodsy44

woodsy44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also agree with chicubs1616, i dont try to bluff at the beginning of a big tourney. I find the best time to bluff is when the flop is naff - off suite n low numbers. If they check and you are not too short stacked, i try then.
Also, if there are several rounds of checking and no money is going into the pot then i raise, as the majority of players have nothing.
Draws are always good to try and bluff as you feel confident enough to raise and if you are called, there is a chance you will hit your card.

B

bluedoggg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best time is when your in good position and the stack is worth bluffing for.:vroam:

T

tdp05

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the experts on this one. BLuffing is a skill that has to be controlled. I personally tend to shy away from the skills of bluffing, but I have used it in a few games and certain hands and it has paid off a few times, but lost moreover. I have read just about every book on bluffing in poker, but I am just not the bluffing type unless I know for a fact that I will scrape the chips in the hand. Calling out bluffers has been an interest of mine recently in tourneys. Any player that shows me their hand of nothing whether on my fold or on the showdown when I called their bluff told me what kind of player they are.

BTW, why do so many people think they had a better hand then you did when they loose to their bluff???

CHeers
TDP05

M

marcocroc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
who bluffs is caught long the tournaments