Originally Posted by micromachine
I have 3 questions:
1) Do you guys think the numbers given below are reasonable?
2) I want to move up to 25NL or even 50NL when I have 40BI for the relevant level but I was thinking of cashing out some along the way. So my idea was to cash out half of the profit each month (unless that amount is less than $100) and use the other half to increase my bankroll. What do you think about that as an idea? I know some of you will say that I should use it all for BR building until I can play 200NL or something. But it would be nice to have a bit of extra cash each month and it would mean that I don't reach a level before I am ready for it in terms of my skill/ability.
3) I'm not really comfortable leaving more than $500 or so online. Maybe I'm being overly worried about this, but I was thinking of either getting a Neteller account and keeping part of my BR there, or just withdrawing to my current account and leaving it in an unused online savings account I have. What do you guys do about this?
1) no, they are not reasonable, i think. 6bb/hour is like 6bb/100 in 6max (perhaps slightly more), and you would probably not average that; otherwise you would not be playing 10nl for long, and then you would be making less bb/100 on the level above. all i am saying is this winrate implies a good skill edge, which probably will not happen for you or for most people on this site (me included), don't take it personally.... personally, i would say you should be happy with about 4bb/100, but be prepared for the variance.
2) it is your money, you do what you want with it. moving up is awesome (read: better for everything) if you are going to win there, but as anyone who has ever failed a shot will tell you, do not count on that happening right away and every time.
so if you think you are not ready to move up yet, sure, withdraw some and build it again. but i would suggest to keep your money in your BR until you reach some level and just then withdraw, so as not to have your "pocket money" hinder your development as a player.
3) perhaps i am not the best person to give advice about this, as i have/had about 2.6k on tilt once that closed, but imo it is absolutely impossible to play any level above 25nl with only 500 in your account/immediately available funds. it is perfectly fine for now to keep some of your funds outside the poker site
as a precaution, but be prepared to change that view once you move up stakes a couple times. (also, even if the money is not on the site, make sure you count it as bankroll and not as spending money)
one final note:
by the tone of your writing i guess this realization has not hit you yet, and once it does it will be an epiphany of a sort. i also know there is absolutely no point in saying this since whatever your reaction is, you will not have grasped the point. yet, here it is: money in your bankroll is a lot more like play money than any sort of real funds. you MUST think of it this way to play any level above 25 (maybe 50) with success. if a couple hundred matter to you, you have already lost the mental game at those levels. this is similar but slightly different from the "scared money" concept, which calls for solid BRM and which it seems you already have incorporated to a degree. good luck!