Auto topup.

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've seen numerous members advise to do this.
I dont do this because I generally chip up slowly to lose most of it quickly. So my "strategy" for now is to not topup because i mostly win money from other peoples folds. If I would topup I feel like I would have lost more.

It seems to work for now. I have made 4-5$ from cash games. I started 3 days ago and I play 2NL zoom. So I'm really new.

So why do you do it?

Keith_MM

Keith_MM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you are new to cash games stop playing zoom , play regular tables so that you can get reads on players and learn how to play profitable cash game poker. Its even more important if you don't have a HUD.
you don't topup to minimise the amount you lose , i auto topup to maximise the amount i can win.we play poker to win money , why limit the amount you can win?

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keith’s post is on the mark 100%

There is a special case when not auto topping is correct imo, and that is when the likelihood to lose is larger than winning. Now, the problem lies that if you don’t be prepared to lose more with full stack, you won’t learn that efficiently and fast and ALSO you learn wrong things too. For getting your boots wet though, why not?

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kieth has said it all. Plus I'd like to add when you don't top up, it kind of means that you are more scared of loosing money than the wanting to make money. It's too much towards the conservative side & will limit your ranges as well

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I'll admit I'm scared of losing my bankroll. But I'm not scared of losing 2$. So I think I can keep playing reasonably comfortably untill I'm not brand new to cash anymore. Once I'm comfortable enough to topup I'll definitely try it out.

For now I'm not trying to make money I'm just getting comfortable playing something else than MTT's.

Thanks for the input guys!

Keith_MM

Keith_MM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont do this because I generally chip up slowly to lose most of it quickly. So my "strategy" for now is to not topup because i mostly win money from other peoples folds. If I would topup I feel like I would have lost more.

This looks like you are either betting to big and getting weak hands to fold until you run into a big hand a lose a stack or getting sticky with your weak hands and opponent continues.

record half an hours play on OBS and post it to youtube and you will get some
good general advice about the way you play.

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For now im on vacation and im only playing on my phone. No trackers, no recording. Ive made 6.3$ from zoom so far. I dont play a lot. Maybe like 500-1000 hands. So it definitely might be variance. But it's a good sign for now.
I do play mediocre hands sometimes and bluff them to a fold. Especially on wet boards. They either fold or hit something and then I fold.
I play 1 table and it makes me look sure of my raise I think when I bet quickly.

I played around 15-20 sessions of half an hour. Sometimes less. Ive lost only once or twice, because I generally quit before I lose it all. We'll see how it keeps going.

Grinderella

Grinderella

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Auto-Topup

The main reason I use Autotop is that it ensures that you have the maximum amount available to win when you're dealt a monster. If I pick up Aces or Kings and there's a huge agg-fish at the table who will barrell off 3 streets with air, then I want to extract as much of his roll as I can. You can't do that if you've only got 37bb in front of you cause you switched off AutoTop up. Don't be "That guy" :D

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys!
Ive thought about this some more.

Would you agree with the following statement?

If you're a losing player, do not auto topup. If you're a winning player, do it?

Keith_MM

Keith_MM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
here's how i look at it ...

player doesn't auto topup - likely a losing player without much strategy and doesn't have much idea how to play. exploit them to the max

player does auto top up - likely to have some idea of strategy and more understanding of fold equity and could know what they are doing. be a bit more cautious.

which impression do you want to portray.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here's how i look at it ...

player doesn't auto topup - likely a losing player without much strategy and doesn't have much idea how to play. exploit them to the max

player does auto top up - likely to have some idea of strategy and more understanding of fold equity and could know what they are doing. be a bit more cautious.

which impression do you want to portray.

To add a small thing to this from my short experience at online poker at 2NL, I'd usually note all the players who doesn't top up or come to the tables under the maximum buyin, easily as recs/fish/donks and target them specially than the other players.

It's not that hard to get a player who comes with 80 cents buy in to a 100BB max 2NL table and get them pot committed with a bad hand and get the chips away easily.

But I know you to be be a good player from what I've seen. :)

O

Orin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there a recommended setting for auto-top up? I have it set to top up to max (100BB) when I get below 50BB. I've been wondering if i should change it to always top-up when below 100BB. Sounds like that's what people recommend.

Grinderella

Grinderella

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there a recommended setting for auto-top up? I have it set to top up to max (100BB) when I get below 50BB. I've been wondering if i should change it to always top-up when below 100BB. Sounds like that's what people recommend.

I would have it set to always top up to 100bb yes. As I was explaining earlier we want to have the most that we can available during the hand. We don't know when we are going to have a monster so we must be prepared to extract max value at the start of every hand. This requires a full stack. The reply from Keith_MM earlier was very relevant. There's some game theory to consider here. His question "What image do you want to portray?" is the best one to ask. While I stand by my full stack recommendation, there is merit in using a weird number of chips, that doesn't automatically re-fill. Think about the impression that this is giving off. Most regs who spot this will think "Well he's obviously a fish with a donk range so I'm happy to shove AJo here". The smaller stack size also encourages looser calls due to incorrect assumptions about what kind of player you are. For me personally, I choose to stack up because any regs i'm against will know I'm a reg anyway so the element of surprise isn't there, and it's not profitable for me to try and look fishy to a fish cause they're not thinking about my hand anyway. So overall, it goes back to that same question again "What image do you want to portray?

O

Orin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm, thank you - that's good food for thought. I did change to always top up to 100bb after the original note and it worked out really well for me when I got a good hand and was able to double-up (after a few blinds & a couple of small losses). So I like the advice but the point about image is good too. At the moment I think I want to look like a reg as I'm still learning. But it's worth knowing this if/when I want to change later on.

Thank you for your help on this and the other leak-buster thread! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen numerous members advise to do this.

It seems to work for now. I have made 4-5$ from cash games. I started 3 days ago and I play 2NL zoom. So I'm really new.

So why do you do it?

I used to think just like you and was against auto topup until I finally realized why it is such a crucial thing to have. Biggest reasons have already been mentioned here: maximizing winnings and improving your image, but I have one reason to add: controlling tilt. I realized that I am not that angry anymore when I lose a big pot 'cause my stack pops up to maximum as soon as I lose. Even though I know in my head that I lost a good chunk of my stack, that auto topup helps me to get back on track right away, kind of like starting all over again and not thinking about that loss. When I didn't have auto topup, I saw my short stack and was desperate to win my losses back, started to shove easily etc. Not anymore.

Definitely worth of trying for you as well. Don't fear about losing, you don't just suddenly lose your whole bankroll at once even with auto topup as soon as you have your bankroll management in control and keep your head clear by playing your A-game. If you are losing, you still subconsiously know how much you have approximately lost so you can always quit if you think that's enough for one session.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never thought about it b4, but fully agree after reading: always top-up.
Thanks, I'll apply this when I think I'm ready for cash game (as newby I'm still trying too many different things to make any money in a cash game)

Keith_MM

Keith_MM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why not just post hands to Hand Analysis folder ?

because you just get general advice on one hand and generally beginners don't know which hands to post , it will usually be hands where they got sucked out on . It won't be the hands where they are calling raises with junk and folding when they miss the flop , nor hands where winning players will have noted hands going to showdown and can give advice on how to exploit those players and it certainly won't be the hands where they won by playing badly which are short term winners but which give negative reinforcement so that players keep doing those things that will lose them a lot over the long term because they selectively remember the times they won doing it .