lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Late in a quarter tourney, I've got about 5k in chips and the blinds are 200/400. I haven't played for about 10 hands (lots of 3/8 offsuit). Dealt pocket Aces. Big stack (20k) raised to 800. 3 of us go along. Flop is 10, 4, 4 all off suited. Big stack puts in 800. I call, the other 2 fold. Next card is a 6 (another suit). He raised to 1800. I call. River is another 10. He puts me all in and I call. His 10, 6 os takes me out (full boat).

So, should I have raised pre-flop, or slow-play and fold after the turn or river? Or, should I have raised after the flop? He was playing loose, and probably would have called with his pair of 10s.

N

nldbull

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
don't hold me to this but

With pocket aces i think the general strategy is to isolate yourself with another player. You don't want to get into a pot w/ 3 or 4 players, too many chances to be beat. I think the only way you could have avoided his 10/6 would have been to make a large raise pre-flop, when he wouldn't have been able to call with 10/6, and if he did... more power to him.

TheUndertaker

TheUndertaker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played it well but I would have reraise preflop and reraised again postflop and as for folding I never would think about it because you're short stacked.

J

jcbdx33

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with undertaker: you should have raised pre-flop to play heads up with him. But your slowplay to get more chips is also good because he doesn't fold and comes in with a trash hand which is good for you.
But on the flop you were ahead and should have raised, i think.

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you could have played this hand worse.

As for the idea that goal with aces is to isolate against one player, the math doesn't support that. Against one player, you are about 80% to win about even money. Against 4 players, you are about 45% to win 3-1. So your expected value is higher against 3-4 players.

T

thepokerjunky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have definitly raised preflop. You dont have so much money with
you and you cant afford to be slow playing. High pocket pairs are definitly
preflop raising hands cause u dont want anyone to catch just like they did
in your hand there. And i mean, if you know he was a loose player, you
should reraise him preflop, making him pay as much as he can if he's going
with those bad cards...

S

Skidmark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its not about aces its about the stacks with 12bbs you should just shove or fold (and clearly u wouldnt want to fold aces) in that spot. at worst on the flop no matter what.

M

munkie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Always play Aces aggressively preflop, cuz that's the only time they are for sure the strongest. Instead of just calling, raise and reraise, then be happy taking the antes and blinds.

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What were you doing preflop? After his raise, all your chips should have been in the middle, and this is coming from someone who always hates overbetting with aces. But with 3 others in the hand, there's a lot of dead money and people are getting decent odds even on your all in.

Janon

Janon

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
the way u played that hand would work better if u were the big stack. when ur the big stack u get alot of options to play a hand but when the pot was already 3.6k which is pretty close to ur chip stack 4.2 u should have pushed on the flop i dont mind you atleast seeing a flop b4 raising it up, that is an option you have but slow playing is something a chip leader dose. sorry if im not making much sense been drinking zzzzzz

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What were you doing preflop? After his raise, all your chips should have been in the middle, and this is coming from someone who always hates overbetting with aces. But with 3 others in the hand, there's a lot of dead money and people are getting decent odds even on your all in.

Definately. Reraise all in preflop. With 400bb I'm assuming there were ante's, and with only 5k in chips, you're getting pretty short. If you just reraised a little and he caught his 10, he's probably in it for the showdown, so shove and hope to get his initial chips.

J

jrosekcs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most definetly u played the hand WRONG. all in after his pre flop raise...1 u were short stacked and 2 u know u were ahead of him...if he called then he would have just been rolling the dice hpoing for luck(which he would have got) but more likely he would have folded there:cool:

begley01

begley01

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if you let him see the flop cheaply, your flop shove would have failed. anyway. He would have most likely called with his 10's thinking they were good and would end up rivering you. You didn't say what position you were in on the table but with 3 others putting 800 in, is an easy shove. Just hope someone calls and it holds up.

D

deumsac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is re-raising all-in after the opponent's initial raise post-flop since he is an loose player good?

10 4 4 seems harmless to me if the opponent were playing a strong hand?

J

JD Dirty

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always feel that AA is the hand that kills me. If I cant win with it preflop or right after the flop I'm done. Showdowns make me go broke.

R

RA2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reraise before the flop with so many callers!
You just want to play against one player and avoid those hands hitting these flops!

W

weirdhotshot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket aces are a strong starting hand, but when you allow large stacks to bully their way into a flop, they have the automatic advantage. Street by street you saw yourself calling down, hoping more to just see the showdown rather than bet into him.

Comes back to the piece of advice that you should either raise or fold. Calling can demonstrate a lot to a talented player, just as with checking. Raising puts the pressure back on him and tells you what he has. If he calls, he probably isn't completely bluffing, but probably doesn't have the nuts, if he raises, he's pressuring you with his stack or has the nuts, and if he folds...well...you know.

E

ElTrain

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have definitly raised preflop. You dont have so much money with
you and you cant afford to be slow playing.

This. I would have made a large raise on the flop as well. You're basically pot committed by the river so you had to call, but if you had more chips I would have folded on the river as played.

P

PokerJoeAAAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have raised preflop and pushed all in after the flop. I think winning a small pot is better the losing a big pot. You risk losing all of your chips by slow playing.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you could have played this hand worse.

As for the idea that goal with aces is to isolate against one player, the math doesn't support that. Against one player, you are about 80% to win about even money. Against 4 players, you are about 45% to win 3-1. So your expected value is higher against 3-4 players.

This may be true in a cash game, but when it comes to tourneys that is an awful way to look at it. In a tourney you want to survive, you can't reload ( at least not in this one).
You should always isolate in a tourney with aces, You have you're 80% and be happy with it, if you purposely keep people in to improve your expected value, you're gonna go all in and all out after someone make a boat with 10 - 6.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Late in a quarter tourney, I've got about 5k in chips and the blinds are 200/400. I haven't played for about 10 hands (lots of 3/8 offsuit). Dealt pocket Aces. Big stack (20k) raised to 800. 3 of us go along. Flop is 10, 4, 4 all off suited. Big stack puts in 800. I call, the other 2 fold. Next card is a 6 (another suit). He raised to 1800. I call. River is another 10. He puts me all in and I call. His 10, 6 os takes me out (full boat).

So, should I have raised pre-flop, or slow-play and fold after the turn or river? Or, should I have raised after the flop? He was playing loose, and probably would have called with his pair of 10s.
It justs shows slow playing does not work alot of the time, i quit slow playing for the same reason, I tend to think you lose more on slow playing AA, then raising with them preflop....

B

billyth3kid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DO not slow play aces if you know that theres next to no way you will ever fold... if you know that ur never going to fold aces then push...but if your not able to fold them slow playing is the dumbest thin you can do.... leting them cheaply see the flop and get your whole stack if they hit... its a gamble where the numbers are way out of your favor...but if your good at putting other players on hands and are able to fold when you think ur beat then slow playing them is more for you (PS imnot a pro so... maybe im wrong)

D

deumsac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Billy, I have a hard time folding pocket Aces too, can't do anything but push, unless I hit my set and there aren't straights or flushes on there.

N

newbie10107

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AA

I never want to see the flop with more than two other players when holding AA if possible so I definetely would have re-raised preflop. There might not have been a way to get him off his hand after the flop but i would have tried to take the pot down on the flop and turn if you couldn't put him on a 4. Playing aces to the river is not profitable over time.

CrossCrucificio

CrossCrucificio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should never slow play pocket Aces. Especially i this case the big stack raised preflop, you should have raised at least 4x his bet. If he decides to be a donk and call you with his 10 6 off suit then that would suck. Someone advice me before would you rather win a little or lose alot with pocket aces?? thats why you raise your AA.

Status
Not open for further replies.