Another grind thread

I

IloveNAP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First let me introduce my poker background. I started playing poker in high school as a senior 3 years ago. I'm not sure how much I have lost but I think its in the 2-3k area(yeah crazy I know). So about a month ago I decided to take poker a little more serious and signed up at DTB. I deposited $50 into Bovada and by not using proper BRM I grinded to about $2000 only to lose it all in 3 days. I actually tooka picture of my balance cause I was so excited and thought that my poker skills were finally coming together. The good news is that I did withdraw $200 and I used $60 to deposit on ACR. I started playing 25nl right away and thanks to bonuses and an upswing I grinded to about $500. Obviously I am terrible and cant commit to using proper BRM and now I am down to $200. The reason for this thread is obviously to improve my play and be able to commit to using proper BRM. I will not move up until I am properly rolled for the next stake. I will be posting graphs as soon as I figure out how to do so with PT4. If anyone can help me with that it would be appreciated. I am a terrible player and have huge leaks so please don't bash me but do criticize and tell me what I can improve on Also, what is a decent sample of hands to be able to say that you are a winning player? BTW I will be playing 10nl 6 max on ACR. If you have any questions please ask away.

Last edited:
Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gl bro. Yeah there's lots to learn here stick around. There are some really really good cash players on the forum, now the thing is.... They frequent the really really good challenge threads. In order to make your challenge thread a good one, you should be updating regularly and posting troublesome hands up for analysis.

It's like in the field of dreams "if you build it, they will come". Only here.... It's if u build up this challenge thread, the regs will come. I will just go ahead and sub now.

Gl dude

I

IloveNAP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gl bro. Yeah there's lots to learn here stick around. There are some really really good cash players on the forum, now the thing is.... They frequent the really really good challenge threads. In order to make your challenge thread a good one, you should be updating regularly and posting troublesome hands up for analysis.

It's like in the field of dreams "if you build it, they will come". Only here.... It's if u build up this challenge thread, the regs will come. I will just go ahead and sub now.

Gl dude

thanks my man. I plan on doing so as soon as I figure out how to lol

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like a decent graph. Keep it up :) maybe post some stats?

rickypr18

rickypr18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do people create those graphs? Is there a program, a website, or what?

I

IloveNAP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do people create those graphs? Is there a program, a website, or what?

This is pokertracker 4. What I did was take a screenshot of the graph and paste on paint. Then save the image and post in on blogspot.com

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All the best mate, posting some tricky & interesting hands I agree is def a good idea.

I

IloveNAP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker Network Game #276041049: No Limit Holdem ($0.05/$0.10) [2014/04/24 02:01:48 UTC]
Table: Cadmium (PRR) - 8
Seats: 6
Seat 1: Jefferydubs ($9.35)
Seat 2: itsLP ($11.69)
Seat 3: luckyStreak29 ($10)
Seat 4: MarcusD5 ($10.92)
Seat 5: 2donks1flop ($10.05)
Seat 6: cshawk ($12.03)
Button is seat 4
2donks1flop: posts small blind $0.05
cshawk: posts big blind $0.10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
itsLP: dealt [Qc 8c]
Jefferydubs: folds
itsLP: raises $0.30
luckyStreak29: calls $0.30
MarcusD5: folds
2donks1flop: folds
cshawk: folds
*** FLOP *** [4h Qs Qd]
itsLP: bets $0.60
luckyStreak29: calls $0.60
*** TURN *** [4h Qs Qd] [2d]
itsLP: bets $1.50
luckyStreak29: calls $1.50
*** RIVER *** [4h Qs Qd] [2d] [5d]
itsLP: bets $2
luckyStreak29: raises all-in $7.60
itsLP: calls $5.60
*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: $19.15 | Rake: $0.76 | BBJ: $0.24 |
Board: [4h Qs Qd 2d 5d]
Seat 1: Jefferydubs didn't bet
Seat 2: itsLP lost -$10 [Qc 8c]
Seat 3: luckyStreak29 won $19.15 (+$9.15) [9h Qh]
Seat 4: MarcusD5 didn't bet
Seat 5: 2donks1flop lost -$0.05
Seat 6: cshawk lost -$0.10

Heres a hand from my current session. thoughts? Didnt have any reads on villain he just sat down not long ago

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main issue here - imho - is that Q8s is a fold in early position, it's probably even a fold in later position, but can be open raised late. I wouldn't be calling very often in later position without reads either. Reason is you're being called by better flush draws and better Qs too often.

As played, flop bet is fine, but on this dry board, he's calling with better Qs, pocket 4s, sometimes hands like 99-JJ. Overpairs unlikely as they would raise pre-flop.

Check-fold turn depending on sizing. On this river, only better Qs and full houses are raising you. You were caught in a difficult spot, but hopefully you may see now it's all a function of the pre flop decision.

This is just my opinion, others may not agree.

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Realised you're in middle position / hi jack, which makes it a little more of a cooler, but similar thoughts still apply, particularly on turn / river logic in terms of likely opponent holdings.

I

IloveNAP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker Network - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

CO: 102.8 BB
BTN: 152 BB
Hero (SB): 192.3 BB
BB: 145.2 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Th Kh
fold, BTN raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, BTN calls 6 BB

Flop : (19 BB, 2 players) 8h 6h 9s
Hero bets 12 BB, BTN raises to 40 BB, Hero raises to 183.3 BB and is all-in, BTN calls 103 BB and is all-in

Turn : (305 BB, 2 players) 4h

River : (305 BB, 2 players) Kc

BTN shows 9c 7h (One Pair, Nines) (Pre 34%, Flop 50%, Turn 2%)
Hero shows Th Kh (Flush, King High) (Pre 66%, Flop 50%, Turn 98%)
Hero wins 289.8 BB

reason for my 3 bet here is that villain has been raising light on cutoff and button a lot. my question here is if getting it in on the flop is the right play with the overcards/gutshot/flush draw

I

IloveNAP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main issue here - imho - is that Q8s is a fold in early position, it's probably even a fold in later position, but can be open raised late. I wouldn't be calling very often in later position without reads either. Reason is you're being called by better flush draws and better Qs too often.

As played, flop bet is fine, but on this dry board, he's calling with better Qs, pocket 4s, sometimes hands like 99-JJ. Overpairs unlikely as they would raise pre-flop.

Check-fold turn depending on sizing. On this river, only better Qs and full houses are raising you. You were caught in a difficult spot, but hopefully you may see now it's all a function of the pre flop decision.

This is just my opinion, others may not agree.

Yeah I think I might be playing a llittle to loose for these stakes. How tight should I be playing for 10nl

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Q8s is best in c/o or BTN and it's not a bad hand to limp in and get a decent flop.

The problem with these types of hands is though Q8s that is, that a lot of players will get 2 pair or top pair and get trapped in the hand when they shouldn't be in the hand. The true purpose you want is a flush and no one else having a flush and get a half to small decent pot from it without much fuss.

trip Q's with bad kicker these hands are troublesome because people often will show extreme strength with overpairs or even the full house. You need to focus on these types of hands as pot control hands. Try and keep the pot down and keep it at a price you can call without losing too much.

This hand if ur not careful. Loose a lot but only will win a little on avg. So you wanna try and even it out somehow if you want to play it in ur game.

Takes guts and experience though.

So it's not much surprise ppl say throw it in the muck... Theres enough stress in the game without adding to it.

I

IloveNAP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Q8s is best in c/o or BTN and it's not a bad hand to limp in and get a decent flop.

The problem with these types of hands is though Q8s that is, that a lot of players will get 2 pair or top pair and get trapped in the hand when they shouldn't be in the hand. The true purpose you want is a flush and no one else having a flush and get a half to small decent pot from it without much fuss.

trip Q's with bad kicker these hands are troublesome because people often will show extreme strength with overpairs or even the full house. You need to focus on these types of hands as pot control hands. Try and keep the pot down and keep it at a price you can call without losing too much.

This hand if ur not careful. Loose a lot but only will win a little on avg. So you wanna try and even it out somehow if you want to play it in ur game.

Takes guts and experience though.

So it's not much surprise ppl say throw it in the muck... Theres enough stress in the game without adding to it.

This may be a leak in my game then. As of now I'm pretty much raising q8-j suited from middle and qjs from early position as well. Are you saying you shouldn't be raising these hands from middle at all. What about calling behind on button? I do see your point on the top pair thing because its happened to me quite often.

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
29 VPIP worries me, especially when your AF is only 2. If you were 29 26 3 for example I wouldn't make an issue, it just seems like you're running good, i'd be wary of how many hands you're playing. This is kind of proven with the Q8s hand from MP.

I

IloveNAP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker Network - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

Hero (SB): 86.7 BB
BB: 105.1 BB
UTG: 110.2 BB
MP: 45.7 BB
CO: 115.6 BB
BTN: 141.7 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Ad Qc
fold, MP calls 1 BB, fold, BTN raises to 2 BB, Hero raises to 7 BB, fold, fold, BTN calls 5 BB

Flop : (16 BB, 2 players) 2s 5h 6h
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn : (16 BB, 2 players) Qh
Hero bets 16 BB, BTN raises to 55 BB, Hero raises to 79.7 BB and is all-in, BTN calls 24.7 BB

River : (175.4 BB, 2 players) Jd

Hero shows Ad Qc (One Pair, Queens) (Pre 64%, Flop 0%, Turn 0%)
BTN shows 3h 4s (Straight, Six High) (Pre 36%, Flop 100%, Turn 100%)
BTN wins 166.7 BB

This hand I played it poorly but was frustrated because I had 3 betted villain twice with AK and he raised my cbet on the flop twice. A little frustrating that he called my 3 bet with 34o. Stilll a dumb play as I was losing to a lot of hands on turn but just frustrating.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker Network - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

Hero (SB): 86.7 BB

BB: 105.1 BB

UTG: 110.2 BB

MP: 45.7 BB

CO: 115.6 BB

BTN: 141.7 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Ad Qc

fold, MP calls 1 BB, fold, BTN raises to 2 BB, Hero raises to 7 BB, fold, fold, BTN calls 5 BB

Flop : (16 BB, 2 players) 2s 5h 6h

Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn : (16 BB, 2 players) Qh

Hero bets 16 BB, BTN raises to 55 BB, Hero raises to 79.7 BB and is all-in, BTN calls 24.7 BB

River : (175.4 BB, 2 players) Jd

Hero shows Ad Qc (One Pair, Queens) (Pre 64%, Flop 0%, Turn 0%)

BTN shows 3h 4s (Straight, Six High) (Pre 36%, Flop 100%, Turn 100%)

BTN wins 166.7 BB

This hand I played it poorly but was frustrated because I had 3 betted villain twice with AK and he raised my cbet on the flop twice. A little frustrating that he called my 3 bet with 34o. Stilll a dumb play as I was losing to a lot of hands on turn but just frustrating.

I'm personally donking flop lol. Let's think.... You 3 bet pre... I'm pretty much always taking initiative on this flop. We can really easily rep over pairs.... Unfortunately, I don't think villain is going anywhere on this flop LOL. We had initiative pre, and now we just check give up? It's up to u of course but I have found that at 50NL donking this flop having 3 bet pre is going to get folds often enough to make it profitable. Albeit 50NL is not 10NL.

Bet less on turn, your pot sized bet will not be called by much worse. Fold to his re raise

I

IloveNAP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm personally donking flop lol. Let's think.... You 3 bet pre... I'm pretty much always taking initiative on this flop. We can really easily rep over pairs.... Unfortunately, I don't think villain is going anywhere on this flop LOL. We had initiative pre, and now we just check give up? It's up to u of course but I have found that at 50NL donking this flop having 3 bet pre is going to get folds often enough to make it profitable. Albeit 50NL is not 10NL.

Bet less on turn, your pot sized bet will not be called by much worse. Fold to his re raise

You're right I should of Cbet flop but against this opponent whos already raised me twice when ive cbetted I didnt wanna get more money in without a made hand. Reason for my flop bet being so big is because i dont have a heart and my opponent could easily call with any heart in his hand if I bet smaller. Calling his raise was an obvious mistake but again I was just frustrated cause it was the third time in a row he had done it.

I

IloveNAP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker Network - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

SB: 54.8 BB
BB: 100 BB
UTG: 3 BB
CO: 83.7 BB
Hero (BTN): 174.8 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 8c Qc
fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, SB raises to 5 BB, fold, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop : (11 BB, 2 players) 7c Jc 4d
SB bets 5.2 BB, Hero calls 5.2 BB

Turn : (21.4 BB, 2 players) Qs
SB bets 10.2 BB, Hero calls 10.2 BB

River : (41.8 BB, 2 players) 7s
SB bets 34.4 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 34.4 BB

SB shows Tc Ac (One Pair, Sevens) (Pre 65%, Flop 82%, Turn 30%)
Hero shows 8c Qc (Two Pair, Queens and Sevens) (Pre 35%, Flop 18%, Turn 70%)
Hero wins 105.1 BB

Input on this hand? Was the river the right call? Player had a 52/17 vpip/pfr in 100 hands which is not much of a sample. 3bet % was 25. Was the river the right call? Min raise was strange

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great call. We can put him on a busted draw, but it's even less likely as we have 2 clubs in our hand too, which makes it tricky. Why would he shove with trip 7s though, surely he's going to value bet them if he sees we were also on a draw. Well done

I

IloveNAP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker Network - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

BTN: 120.4 BB
SB: 128.3 BB
Hero (BB): 98.5 BB
UTG: 59.4 BB
CO: 98.2 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Ts Tc
fold, CO raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop : (6.5 BB, 2 players) 6s 7h 5d
Hero checks, CO bets 4 BB, Hero raises to 12 BB, CO calls 8 BB

Turn : (30.5 BB, 2 players) 2d
Hero bets 18 BB, CO raises to 83.2 BB and is all-in, fold

CO wins 63.2 BB

tricky hand but villain had been playing tight and raised from EP. I think I should of 3 bet preflop and fold if he shoves. thoughts?

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flat is ok. But I also don't mind a 3 bet fold to 4 bet, I don't mind the rest of the hand. I'm not a huge fan of the x/r on flop. I think you should lead flop. That's just me though each to his own, well played overall