All in EV line question

Eatscake

Eatscake

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How important is this line on my cash graph? Im currently running $40ish under it and at 10NL after 15k hands thats quite a bit... As a fairly new cash game player id like to know seriously you more experienced players take the EV line. Is it much to be concerned with? Are you personally running above or below it? Thanks a lot

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is the only one that matters. It shows "actual" realistic result of your play and in the long term it shows how well you really play.

I have seen some people saying the green line is important but that is ridiculous since it is purely result oriented.

In 5NL I had a 100k hands long run below EV, which then went completely the other way in next 50k hands (finally launching me above EV). I was somewhat better player in the latter period but not even remotely close to the actual jump in results.

Eatscake

Eatscake

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I was thinking along the same lines as you. It must take so many thousand hands to get your actual winnings similar to EV line though as I normally play about a 2 hour session getting in about 1k hands and I probably get all in before the river 3-4 times so I imagine the line can get really swingy.
Also, what kind of winrates do you guys have and over how many hands would you say that the bb/100 becomes accurate?

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably around 100k hands. Some say it converges well enough around 30k but it doesn't seem correct to me.

Someone with better grasp of statistics can make it more precise, I assume it depends on standard deviation.

Problem with improving players is that it is never actually correct.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problem with improving players is that it is never actually correct.

That's an interesting point...

If a beginning player averages X bb/100 for their first 10k hands, and then improves into a better player, and averages Y bb/100 for their next 8k hands...
that player now has compiled 18,000 hands, but 10k were while they were still learning the game and 8k is after they improved.

So it's not necessarily a pure reflection on the type of player that you currently are.

RodneyC86

RodneyC86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in EV doesn't even actually reflect whether you are running bad, for example, if you keep running into set over set situations or a Agro fish keeps binking hard vs your tptk, your all in EV will fall, but it doesn't mean you played bad, you just happen to all in against the top of the range a lot.

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes of course that is correct, on the other hand long term we can assume KK vs. AA, set vs. set etc. situations when money MUST go in to kind of level out.

What remains is the truth ;)

pocketehs

pocketehs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just turn mine off. it pisses me off for the most part.

RodneyC86

RodneyC86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just turn mine off. it pisses me off for the most part.

Omg I keep trying to tell myself to do that but that button is like a blackhole sucking my finger towards it to check my monies. :mad:

Can someone like tell me some kind of mind trick to employ so i stop looking at it instead of my opponents?