AJo on BTN facing 3bet

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No reads on villain. Should we have folded to 3bet pre? what do you think of river call ?

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 4 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.01 (101 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)
SB: $2.69 (135 bb)
BB: $1.83 (92 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with J A
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.06, SB 3-bets to $0.20, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.14

Flop: ($0.42) 3 A Q (2 players)
SB bets $0.21, Hero calls $0.21

Turn: ($0.84) 4 (2 players)
SB bets $0.42, Hero calls $0.42

River: ($1.68) J (2 players)
SB bets $1.22, Hero calls $1.17 (all-in)

Total pot: $4.02 (Rake: $0.20)

Showdown:
SB shows Q Q (three of a kind, Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 71%, Flop: 94%, Turn: 82%, River: 100%)

BU (Hero) shows J A (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 29%, Flop: 6%, Turn: 18%, River: 0%)

SB wins $3.82

thylmanoid

thylmanoid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played it well.

1. Call 3 bet preflop. You have position - and a good hand!
2. If river card was a blank - would you have folded?
3. I hope the answer is yes. But J was a very bad river card for you.

While its true you are not beating much of his range, you are beating AA KK AK. I dont think you can fold 2 pair here.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Calling a 3-bet with AJo when it becomes HU in position is pretty standard (unless he is a super-nit).

BUT: you don't have that great of a kicker so it is a one-two street hand after the flop when the ace comes on the flop.

The villain happily bets when a flush comes on the turn and continues his aggression with a big bet on the river.

Unless he overvalues AK or tries some kind of dangerous bluff he almost always have a very strong hand here.

You only beat AK (with a king of heart what normally could bet the flop and the turn).

I could fold on the turn already if we didn't have the Jack of hearts against some players (most are afraid of the flush).

But the river is a clear fold against any sane player. The fact that you get two pair gives you more absolute strength but not much more relative strength. You only get ahead of AK.

He has a flush or a set here most of the time when he bets three streets.

Last edited:
pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
You played it well.

1. Call 3 bet preflop. You have position - and a good hand!
2. If river card was a blank - would you have folded?
3. I hope the answer is yes. But J was a very bad river card for you.

While its true you are not beating much of his range, you are beating AA KK AK. I dont think you can fold 2 pair here.

He is not beating AA (set) and I doubt many players bet three streets with KK with an ace on the flop. Only AK left (and with three to a flush few players bet both the turn and the river with AK even HU - maybe if they have the king of heart). But with AK he's only hoping to get called by a worse Ax.

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If river card was a blank - would you have folded?
Definitely yes. I knew I was beat on the turn. J on river was just unfortunate.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was perfectly plsyed by the river, there it should be a fold with the action and board. If there would have been only 2 broadway cards on it i would probably call but with 3 and a flush there are higher chances that you are beat than winning with 2 pairs

B

berryryan2488

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it well considering if he did have KK, QQ, JJ etc that ace would have more than likely sealed the deal. A considerable amount of players overplay those hands on the flop to begin with, so assuming he had something around that range, you're good. However, there were a good amount of hands that beat you. You were stomped against Aces, AK, AQ or trips and considering the re-raise pre, c-bet post and turn with the shove on the river could have given you enough info to possibly make an informed fold, especially on the flop and turn. That jack on the river was an asshole. Overall, I feel like you would have won that hand more than you would have lost it but I think his position and willingness to bet might have been enough to help you fold. What I have noticed in the microstakes is that people either over play their monsters KK and lower post flop or bet aggressively when a hand is made.

Last edited: