Aggressive Re-Raise at 2NL

Thecontinuer

Thecontinuer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey now,

Still hammering out 2NL and enjoying it but I'm constantly coming across a betting pattern that I can't decipher properly., so am looking for some insight if possible.

Preflop the action often goes Raise 3xBB from UTG, and then a fairly large Re-Raise from the seat to the left. With a BB being 0.02 these raises are routinely 0.20+

Stats on these players often comes in at +20 VPIP and from time to time I've called them down to see what's up. Sometimes they flip over kings at showdown, others total nonsense. I've seen situations where this bet's raised again and they insta-fold, and when facing a 1/2 pot bet post flop they muck their cards.

I see a similar betting pattern form people in the BB after facing a raise from the Dealer but at the very least I can understand that play.
It can be frustrating when I raise my 3BB and constantly chuck in the muck as a result of a follow up right after. To note, I play "zoom" on pokerstars which means I don't hang around the same player long enough to see a pattern.

I wondered if the betting pattern is used higher up the stakes/skill levels? I don't want to just assume "fish" because that's to me seems naive.

Thoughts?
Thanks

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friend.

Im also swimming in the 2NL lake and I am barely breathing.

I usually see this, although I dont play zoom myslef. I play 6max no zoom.

Can't give you exact advice on this, but for sure I can tell you that on higher limits people 3bet more. A lot more from what I have heard.

Good luck at the tables :) :fight::fight:

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey now,

Still hammering out 2NL and enjoying it but I'm constantly coming across a betting pattern that I can't decipher properly., so am looking for some insight if possible.

Preflop the action often goes Raise 3xBB from UTG, and then a fairly large Re-Raise from the seat to the left. With a BB being 0.02 these raises are routinely 0.20+

Stats on these players often comes in at +20 VPIP and from time to time I've called them down to see what's up. Sometimes they flip over kings at showdown, others total nonsense. I've seen situations where this bet's raised again and they insta-fold, and when facing a 1/2 pot bet post flop they muck their cards.

I see a similar betting pattern form people in the BB after facing a raise from the Dealer but at the very least I can understand that play.
It can be frustrating when I raise my 3BB and constantly chuck in the muck as a result of a follow up right after. To note, I play "zoom" on pokerstars which means I don't hang around the same player long enough to see a pattern.

I wondered if the betting pattern is used higher up the stakes/skill levels? I don't want to just assume "fish" because that's to me seems naive.

Thoughts?
Thanks

Yes, and it will get more the higher stakes you go. A HUD really helps to find those patterns.
Adjust youre range against them. Take notes!
If you see people contantly stealing from late positions only open youre Toprange from EP or 4-bet-bluff them.
When in postion you can actually call them wider and try to outplay them postflop. Youre hand doesnt matter that much in this case, allways think in ranges. If someone 3-bets you, they usually have a pretty thin range of hands they do it with. You can exploit that. Even if they have AA you can steal the pot some streets later depending on the boardstructure.

Last edited:
Thecontinuer

Thecontinuer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, and it will get more the higher stakes you go. A HUD really helps to find those patterns.
Adjust youre range against them. Take notes!
If you see people contantly stealing from late positions only open youre Toprange from EP or 4-bet-bluff them.
When in postion you can actually call them wider and try to outplay them postflop. Youre hand doesnt matter that much in this case, allways think in ranges. If someone 3-bets you, they usually have a pretty thin range of hands they do it with. You can exploit that. Even if they have AA you can steal the pot some streets later depending on the boardstructure.

Thank you sir. I will start to play back at these people in the right situation. My hud is fairly fleshed out now with data on a lot of players, so I should be able to get a sense of how widely they're raising in certain spots. I also won't always just run scared in fear of AA, KK.

This is why 2NL is useful. I'd rather learn this lesson now than when it's for a lot more cash.