Advice on this hand please

C

Crytos94

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi All,

I play 1/1 in Aspers every other day and was truly shocked by this guys line. Please read and provide advise on my line or whether I could get away from it.

Starting stack - £242

UTG and UTG+1 Limps.

I am in mid-position and raise to £8 with 9h 10h.

The Button, SB, BB, UTG and UTG+1 call.

POT - £40
FLOP - 7d 8h 8d

Checks to me I C-bet being up and down for £24 everyone folds except SB.

POT - 88
Turn - 5h

With a Flush draw and being up and down i bet £48. The SB shoves all in that covers me. I have £162 left and originally bought in for £100 and rode it up to £242.

I end up deciding to call after visually seeing that he was uncomfortable and didn't like me excessively thinking.

I end up deciding on a call with 15 outs.

He rolls over 5s 4c.

I therefore have 21 outs which I feel good about I end up bricking

River - Kc

I am not frustrated about not hitting but wondering if my line is not right.

Please comment below.

Thanks

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You haven’t told us how the sb has been playing. Is he loose? Tight? Maniac??
However....I’ll try to help

My first question to you is, “what was your initial $8 bet suppose to do? Not only did it not isolate anyone, but it now created a bloated family pot that is going to promote shallow shoves.

At micro tables, people are usually much looser. I’d argue you maybe should’ve raised to something between $14-$20.
Then you’d likely only be up against 1-2 opponents.

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are at a loose table and 4-5 see the flop of 788, even though you are open ended, this flop likely smashed someone else’s range!!!
Be very cautious, all you have at this point is an oesd with no flush. Checking or betting could be fine here but your cbet was way too small. I would’ve either checked or bet closer to pot size bet which could’ve priced out the sb.

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the turn you picked up a flush draw but it’s still only a 10 high flush. Also when counting your odds you need to discount what you put him on. He could’ve easily been on a diamond flush draw or back doored a higher heart flush draw having you pretty crushed, leaving you only 8 outs(potentially) or 16% of hitting your straight. Had your fd been on the flop I’d like your play a little better

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO, you should’ve never called the over shove. All the guy has to have to beat you is any pair, even pocket 22’s.
You gambled with this guy and he won. The less you gamble in poker, the better decisions you will be able to make. Start trying to think more in terms of the ranges each player might call with. That is the key to start owning players!!!! Gl

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played it correct made the right call with fold equity you were ahead. The SB will be broke soon without a doubt.

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a pretty tough spot, but I think he sees your range as being capped. You are NEVER going to be fast playing a boat in this situation, so he can have all the value hands, where you almost certainly drawing. I think that because you dont block any value hands here it should be a fold, because your flush might not even be good if you get there. Huge reverse implied odds to call off an overshove on a paired board.

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you stack off on a an open ended straight draw you ain't too good of player sorry. You'll go broke very fast. You trapped yourself with all of those bets you made. 8+24+48. You still don't even have a pair he can have JJ, 1010, 8, 7, higher flush draw with overs etc. Your beat all around.

I don't think you should be raising suited connectors PF, there okay to call with but never to raise with it's 10 high plain and simple. All you had on the flop was an open ended straight draw. A hand that will hit about 28% of the time by the river. People always bloat the pot and next thing you know they trap themselves with the mentality of "there's just to much money in there I have to call now".

Your All-In call on the Turn was absolutely correct though. My equity calculator shows you had 54% Equity going into the river against 5/4 so you read the player correctly. (Without those two over cards though your way behind.) You had 1.95 to 1 odds to win here. You were getting 3 to 1 on your money so it's def the right call.

Can't say I like the line here though. It's like basically playing 50/50 poker. A player can easily have the 8, easily have a straight, easily have 1010 or JJ. I think you got very lucky you were only up against 5/4. Usually in a multi-way pot seen by 5 players, you are usually WAY BEHIND on this type of board texture. It isn't worth your stack.

Last edited:
A

allingoall

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
different situations are in the game. the main thing is never to bluff. No bluff

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands