Advice on Creating PF Ranges?

T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all. I tend to learn best when I create things myself instead of trying to remember something somebody else has done. I'd like to create my own pre-flop ranges (Open-raise, cold-call, limp behind, 3-bet, 3-bet defense, 4-bet, etc) I'd like to do this the right way.

I just don't know what the right way is. Is there a book or website you'd recommend? I'm looking for specifics on the process of hand selection, what math needs to be done, what the logical steps are, etc.

I've got Flopzilla, Equilab, CardrunnersEV and GTO+ for software (+ HM2 w/ Leakbuster, but I don't have a very big db yet). I bought the book Applications of No Limit Holdem and I imagine it's fantastic if you want to create GTO ranges, but it's way over my head right now. I'd just like to construct some solid ranges for microstakes cash games.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P

PotPlucker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like yourself I have purchased lots of tools to help advance in the game. With so many sources of help it can be a bit overwhelming where to start. From what you list using HM2 to review your sessions soon after they end might most quickly help plug the leaks. From those hands reviewed run some simulations with your other tools. Good luck with the game.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any theoretically calculated preflop ranges are conditional. They are essentially nothing! Your range is VERY dependent on the style of play of the villains at the table. You need to have a few options in the expectation that there will be normal players at the table. Players are maniacs or rock players.

If you want to get some universal preflop ranges - then the advice above is good. Open HM2 / PT4, and sort your hands by performance. The hands that bring you money (or chips, when it comes to tournaments) are good. Play them. Eliminate the hands with which you lose. Or revise the line of their further drawing, because poker strategy is not limited to preflop. ;)

T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all. I know preflop ranges are very fluid depending on the table's play, the opponents behind you, all sorts of stuff. But my theory was, learn a good baseline range that I can then extend or contract as warranted.

I guess that wasn't such a good theory. I just switched from 6-max to Full Ring, so once I get some hands built up in the new database, I'll use HM2 to analyze and adjust the predefined ranges I've been using.

Thanks for the advice!

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no straightforward answer here.

Regardless, I believe you missed the crucial factor that should influence your range, and that is your post flop playing ability. And by that, I mean your ability to recognize the situation you are at and decide what to do and most importantly, to decide what to do on later streets by considering all the possible scenarios.

For example, if you find yourself holding a certain hand, that you don't know what to do with and how to play it in different situations, then just fold it. In the beginning I struggled a lot with small pocket pairs, thinking I should always play them very aggressively because, if my opponent has AK he has to catch me and not the other way around. That ultimately led me to some tricky spots that I didn't came out strong from.

This is all something you will realize yourself throughout the play, but I would recommend to use poker books, videos on YT or similar, to shorten the period of learning how to play and what suits you.

T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no straightforward answer here.

Regardless, I believe you missed the crucial factor that should influence your range, and that is your post flop playing ability. And by that, I mean your ability to recognize the situation you are at and decide what to do and most importantly, to decide what to do on later streets by considering all the possible scenarios.

I'm actually studying Annie Duke's book Decide to Play Great Poker which is almost all about preferred lines in postflop situations, and Ed Miller's How to Read Hands at No Limit Holdem. I study or play 8-12 hours a day for the last 3 months -- I get a little obsessed with things -- so the preflop ranges aren't my only study topic. In fact, the plan was to create like a playbook or flowchart for how to play different hands in different situations. I was just going to start with the PF ranges and build from there with deep analysis so I would learn it from the ground up.

Based on your advice, it sounds like I'm on the right track, except that I shouldn't start with the PF ranges.

Thanks, I appreciate it. :)

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not that you shouldn't start with PF ranges, you actually should, just try and look at what happens after the PF action at the same time. Be mindful that the exact same hand in the exact same spot will play differently with different board textures post flop and against different players.
What I am trying to say, is to be mindful of how well your PF range does post-flop, considering different boards, different positions, and players.

M

minianna1234567

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

Thanks for the information you shared.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find combonator a great tool for this
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwikoYH8tN7hAhVI46QKHZtZCAgQFjAAegQIBxAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcombonator.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw3gNe6tY3b_Cx450HiNcACX

Defence vs 3bet somewhere around 30% 40% with 28% being the minimum before auto profit for villain so there is some wiggle room for ip and oop ranges. Just plug your preflop range for that position and create a defending range somewhere between those frequencies that suite you. Youll defend vs a 3bet 5% to 10% more often in reality than your actual defence frequency when you concider bet sizes,deep stacks and multi way posts etc...For cold call maybe use some pre defined ranges along with poker snowie and work out a middle ground between the two sets of ranges for yourself. I always find using a set of ranges while making my own helps just so i have a guide.

Last edited:
M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trial and error.

Start at more narrow end and then widen up.

Ranges sghouldnt be set in stone.
They will depens on stakes, villains, stack sizes and so on.

Leakbuster has good resonable pre-flop sugestions start on then and work on your postflop game and hand reading. When you will see what to add what to cut.