ace king post flop question

F

fartepants101

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i have ace king. i raise flop on the button guy on the big blind reraises me about 2.5x. i call. we are the only two in the pot. flop comes K39. opponent min raises. i raise about 5x his raise. he shoves. i call. he turns over pocket aces. he wins. did i make the wrong call here? should i have folded when he went all in? he lost his stack earlier and had to rebuy. which was part of the reason i called. please tell me what you think!:cool:

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont think u did anything wrong.u just happened to run into aces. that happens sometimes sadly when it is yourself

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The toughest thing to do, is to realize that AK is not the best hand. Especially being on the button. When he raised you, you should realize he has something strong, especially with that bet sizing. The raise you made on the flop was too big. I would have just called since you were already at that point.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No that's just a run bad, as you described I dont think either of you are getting away there....

Now I will say if they are super tight, or super cally fishy and play passive.... and never 3bets, I might have been able to put a set as enough of thier small range to get away.... but a normal player that at least understands the elementary levels of GTO. I think your just going broke.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to expect your hand to be behind. Only 2 or 3 hands are realistically beating you. You could have called postflop as there aren't too many scary turn cards. This isn't quite as bad as set over set, but sometimes there isn't much you can do.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the player. It's very hard for people to realize AK is beat because it looks so good pre flop and even better post flop when it hits. However , if you felt the player was on tilt or trying to buy I mean theres not much you can do. If you instantly called his jam without thinking that would be the only downfall but overall it's just the joy of poker, more than likely the same thing would have played out if you had rockets and he had kings and hit trips.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's just one of those hands . He trapped you . I think I would've called thinking we had the same hand . That's poker . Better luck next time .

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy one to arm chair quarter back.... But I think you played it fine. Cooler man.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, more information would be helpful. What stakes are you playing ? Live or online ? How tight is this player ? How aggressive is this player ? Based on the information you provided, I wouldn't be so quick to call his shove. He re-raised you pre-flop from out of position and then shoved all-in after you put in a significant raise on the flop. I'd be worried about AA, KK or 99 here.

M

megiverz1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an hard one!

It happens to all of us. Maybe It had a pocket aces smell to it.

Probably I would have done the same as you in a tournament. In a cash game I would have fold.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s definitely happened to me before too. The all-In from a fairly strong bet should’ve I guess been the indication that he might have a over pair or trips.

Dusan

Dusan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have ace king. i raise flop on the button guy on the big blind reraises me about 2.5x. i call. we are the only two in the pot. flop comes K39. opponent min raises. i raise about 5x his raise. he shoves. i call. he turns over pocket aces. he wins. did i make the wrong call here? should i have folded when he went all in? he lost his stack earlier and had to rebuy. which was part of the reason i called. please tell me what you think!:cool:

The big blind is acting before you act, so he can't raise on the flop if no one has bet yet. You are on the button so he's just betting and you raise him 5x? - Is that so? - Anyway, your 5x raise is too much because you don't leave yourself room to fold if he shoves all-in on the flop or beyond. The small games (LLNL) players usually have a strong hand when they bet after the flop.

Now, before the flop you should think what's his range that he reraises you 2.5x your bet? - I would say that his range for a 2.5x your bet is TT+ and AK, as you can see you are way behind like 40%-60%. The value of AK in LLNL is when you hit and are able to collect off a hand that you have dominated. Most of the players whom you’ll find yourself against in an LLNL game will pay you off when you have them outkicked.

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's a cooler, it happens, nothing can be done

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It is very difficult to throw out here, but you can play a pass against some tight players. It all depends on the statistics, effective stacks and the stage of the tournament.