A10 out of the big blind

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have Ad 10c in the bb and was really unsure of what to do in this spot yesterday and ended up folding. Cash game 50/1£ blinds cut off opens to £3 button calls SB folds and I complete. Stack sizes cut off has around 130bb button 70bb I have 110 bb flop comes As 7d Qc Initial raiser bets £5 button calls and I call. Turn brings 8s. Raiser then bets pot of £25 and button then jams for £60ish. I folded and the cut off makes the call he turns over KQ and button has A4 and I was really surprised to see these two hands as I was putting the button on maybe a set of 7s or 8s and the initial raiser having me outkicked with maybe AJ or better. Do you think a fold preflop was the best option here? I think 3 betting puts me in a tough spot if reraised

Last edited:
maksonios

maksonios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually fold hands like these if there is a raise or 3bet from UTG.

V

vwpokernut

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind the flat out of the big blind

however, looking at the board again, and thinking about your perceived range from your opponent's shoes may help you realize why they jammed

There are two flushes on board as well as two draws, with the 9/10 or 5/6 being more in your range

You have many more flush draws and draw combos than your opponents and they want you out of the hand before you make em

zekubiki

zekubiki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
may be they had A4s and KQs? it's ok, you played well. fold was right decision.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah thanks being results orientated thinking I was beating those hands on this one occasion but generally in this spot think I'm beat the vast majority of the time

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have played it the same so I'm brought back to the flop action as a point to possibly change.

First pass you checked to the raiser which is normal so would a "donk bet" been a better move with Tp and decent kicker with a gutshot Broadway draw? That way we take control of the action and the bet sizing with a chance to take the hand here against a majority of the perceived ranges.

Second pass was call and could have been a check-raise. That move has the same plus sides as the donk bet but we're now playing OOP with the lead in a much bigger pot assuming one or two callers. Checking the turn will be OK since we check raised and could be looking for someone to bet out rather than let them fold to a second barrel.

Minimizing your losses with a marginal Ace was a good result so no change is suggested just some consideration of the options.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have played it the same so I'm brought back to the flop action as a point to possibly change.

First pass you checked to the raiser which is normal so would a "donk bet" been a better move with Tp and decent kicker with a gutshot Broadway draw? That way we take control of the action and the bet sizing with a chance to take the hand here against a majority of the perceived ranges.

Second pass was call and could have been a check-raise. That move has the same plus sides as the donk bet but we're now playing OOP with the lead in a much bigger pot assuming one or two callers. Checking the turn will be OK since we check raised and could be looking for someone to bet out rather than let them fold to a second barrel.

Minimizing your losses with a marginal Ace was a good result so no change is suggested just some consideration of the options.
Thanks for the advice. The donk lead is something is don't often do as I like to keep my strong hands disguised if I lead all my strong hands then what happens when I check maybe I need a good mix of both checking and leading

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't donk bet against one player but in a multi player hand OOP I do it sometimes to see where I'm at with a small cost.

L

lostlittle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have Ad 10c in the bb and was really unsure of what to do in this spot yesterday and ended up folding. Cash game 50/1£ blinds cut off opens to £3 button calls SB folds and I complete. Stack sizes cut off has around 130bb button 70bb I have 110 bb flop comes As 7d Qc Initial raiser bets £5 button calls and I call. Turn brings 8s. Raiser then bets pot of £25 and button then jams for £60ish. I folded and the cut off makes the call he turns over KQ and button has A4 and I was really surprised to see these two hands as I was putting the button on maybe a set of 7s or 8s and the initial raiser having me outkicked with maybe AJ or better. Do you think a fold preflop was the best option here? I think 3 betting puts me in a tough spot if reraised
A10 out of position is hard to call when three get. Save your chips for a better hand