[6-Max] x Tournament [9 players]

SRNegras

SRNegras

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good morning people. I have been playing poker since 2016. I started for fun and today I intend to make this sport a little more than a hobby. I have faced great difficulties, mainly to control the psychological during the games.

I have some difficulties in a normal tournament (9 players), but when the game is a [6-Max] tournament it is a tragedy, my game doesn't flow and, in practically every game, I lose.

I would like to know from you what is the main difference between playing these two types of tournament [6-Max] x Normal [9 Players] and if you can give me tips on how to improve my game play [6-Max] ...

Thanks hugs!

C

crazycitizen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Helloo,

Glad to hear you are taking poker more seriously :)

Main difference between 6max and 9max is starting hands. 9max will be a tighter starting hand range than 6max (mostly in early-mid positions). I suggest you look at some starting hand charts for 9max vs 6max to see the difference.

6max is also a much more aggressive game. So my advice would be to be more aggressive, and being less passive.
This does not mean to play every spot more aggressively, but by being more selective with hands and being more aggressive with them.

My general advise to learning such situations is by using the "never call" method.
Checking is fine but, when someone bets and the action is on you, you are only allowed to fold or raise. If you do not think your hand is good enough to raise, then you have to fold.
Calling puts you in difficult positions constantly, and calling should only be done when you have an advanced poker understanding.
Raising puts your opponents in difficult spots by contrast, and folding limits your losses.
This 'never call' method should make you lose small pots but be winning more big pots.

Also I would not deviate from position-specific-starting hand charts or later streets become difficult to navigate.

Hope that helps in some way :)

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Besides expanding your opening range and playing with aggression you need to be completely focused on your game. Things happen fast in a 6 max with the blinds coming around faster. In 9 max games you can find spots to relax in the blinds or the early positions where your opening ranges are narrow and you are folding a lot. You don't have that luxury in 6 max so stay on your toes

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Steal, Defend and Plan

I would like to know from you what is the main difference between playing these two types of tournament [6-Max] x Normal [9 Players] and if you can give me tips on how to improve my game play [6-Max] ...Thanks hugs!

Whilst I do not play a tonne of 6-Max, I have read a bit on the topic and have seen a number of opposing views. For example, Jonathan Little has said that you shouldn't really play the game that much differently. Sort of like when you're in UTG+3/MP and everyone folds to you. Do you behave significantly differently when that happens?

That said, one of the biggest differences is how quickly you get blinded out if you're playing too tight. So blind stealing (and conversely BB defence) can become more important.

But as with all things, it really depends. What I recommend is identifying the weaker player(s) at the table and targeting them, when they are in the blinds (and potentially in other spots).

6-Max players will often have a wider range than full ring. Get a HUD and try to identify the NITs from the TAGs and the LAGs from the FISH. If you cannot identify the weaker players, then it is probably you and you might want to find a different table (or game).

Put pressure on the NITs by raising pre-flop and re-raising when you have strong playable hands. I guess this is another way of saying what someone else has already said... ie bet or fold. But the idea here is to be regularly putting your opponents in difficult positions.

That said, you need to be conscious of position and stack size. It is difficult to put pressure on the chip lead when you're down to 20BB, so pick your targets and adjust accordingly.

Play against your opponents' ranges. Use tools like ICMizer, to examine your equity against an opponent's range (game type, stack size, position, etc) and act accordingly.

Finally, have a plan.
If you are going to raise, you should already have a good idea about what your next actions will be if they flat, raise or shove. Knowing this, it helps to take a step back and then avoid the actions you take that put YOU in a difficult position.

For example, If the table folds around to you on the button and you raise 3BB preflop, you should be ready for players with 20BB or less to shove. It shouldn't come as a surprise. So when they do, why does it take people so long to make their decision? Mostly because they haven't actually made a plan.

Having a plan also takes a lot of the pain out of poker. If you are focussing on making the right plays, rather than acting without due consideration, you could easily be missing a trick.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morning people. I have been playing poker since 2016. I started for fun and today I intend to make this sport a little more than a hobby. I have faced great difficulties, mainly to control the psychological during the games.

I have some difficulties in a normal tournament (9 players), but when the game is a [6-Max] tournament it is a tragedy, my game doesn't flow and, in practically every game, I lose.

I would like to know from you what is the main difference between playing these two types of tournament [6-Max] x Normal [9 Players] and if you can give me tips on how to improve my game play [6-Max] ...

Thanks hugs!

6-max requires a few key adjustments.

-being comfortable playing from the blinds (since you'll be in them more often)
-being comfortable playing a wide range from late position (because with antes you need to go hard in position)
-knowing how to play 3-bet pots (since they happen so much more often)

Really you'll want a full system for approaching them, here are a couple of playlists to help!

Full preflop and postflop theory http://gripsed.com/win

Tournament specific strategy https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrNnyWekagPbegY51h0xW4tHOFKKn_DU

Hope you find these video helpful, hugs brother!

Spannerdeth

Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This thread has a ton of fantastic advice.

I'll try the "never call" strategy and see if my game improves, I prefer the action in 6-max than in a 9 player table.