6 max or 9 max?

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play both. It's 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. At a 6, you play more hands, which is, I guess, more fun. At a 9, you better be sure you have the nuts, but there is obviously more money to be made. I'd guess the main difference is your range of starting hands. That said, for real money, I play Omaha HL, and usually the 9 table, limit or PL.

Emilionski

Emilionski

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For cash games I prefer 6 max because it has more action. For tourneys i dont have a preference they both keep me entertained.....

canucks921

canucks921

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I seem to have more luck at the 6 max. In cash games I definetely like the 6 max. If you are agressive I suggest the 6 max. You see more flops that way.

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6 handed for speed, action and aggression (if my bankroll can stand the swings).
9max for TAG solid poker and to grind the small profits

BeaverTrump

BeaverTrump

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, that on 6 max tables it is played more hands, but after флопа game is almost identical 9 max, especially on bubble

R

Roger Muller

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Low limit STT: 6-max or 9 max (turbo)

Hey, I am playing on Stars, finally managed to build my bankroll for grinding low limit sng`s (particulary 6$, then if things go well - 11$). I just would like to know if there is a difference in player`s level between 6-max and 9-max? Is one of them really softer than another or they are rather alike?
Thanks in advance, this question is really bothering me cause building a bankroll is very tough for me now (dowstricks like me a lot))

I

intel21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just switched from FR to 6max, seems like you get payed off more b/c the play is looser. So 6max is more profitable imo

SystEmsuX

SystEmsuX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^It's definitely swingier. I only play FR if I'm underolled or playing more tables than my norm.

R

RA2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the 9 max more cause you can play tighter!
At a 6 person table you have to play more hands and much more aggressiv.
Many people push with bad cards and it becomes a lottery....

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play at six. I feel that at the nine player tables, my hands are tied. Can't mix up my style.

C

Crudelis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When switching from FR to 6-max its important that you change up your game. Most people will either play too tight or too loose at a 6-max table (the people that switch from FR usually continue to play their tight game because it worked well for them in FR but what they don't realize is that they need to play a wider range of starting hands. Take advantage of the overly tight players in 6-max tables. On the other hand there are people that know they need to play a wider range of hands but they do it incorrectly and the result is they lose a lot of money, especially in NLH). In 6-max I make sure I have at least 25 buy-ins for that level instead of the usual 20. Hope this helps. And I prefer 6-max over FR :)

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think i have come across a similar post few days back here...
Anyways i thin 6max sng is more advantageous than 9 max...
And am telling this basing on player-prize ratios...
I have explained it more in detail in the other thread buddy, just search it in this strategy section only...

kadafi

kadafi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think i have come across a similar post few days back here...
Anyways i thin 6max sng is more advantageous than 9 max...
And am telling this basing on player-prize ratios...
I have explained it more in detail in the other thread buddy, just search it in this strategy section only...

He's not talking about SNG'S. He means ring games.

R

Roger Muller

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just switched from FR to 6max, seems like you get payed off more b/c the play is looser. So 6max is more profitable imo

Hello,
Do you think FR will be profitable at this situation.
thanks,

B

BenLZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm simply more profitable in FR. Multi-tabling has made patience less of an issue, and it's about maximizing that one big hand. If you can hit one big flop and play it well, you're doing fine. I feel I've never made a good transition to 6 person, since a lot of it is pre-flop aggression...but if there's an aggressive fish at the table I stick around :)

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If Im multi-tabeling I play 9 max and wait for good hands.
If Im at a single table I play 6 max and try to get better reads on the players.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It varies for me.

I'll play 6-max when:
a. I'm looking for loose aggressive players (especially at .10/.25 NL or .25/.50 NL)
b. When I'm not planning on playing more than 4 or 5 tables.
c. I'll only join when there are at least 4 out of 6 players seated.

I'll play full ring when:
a. I have a lot of time to commit to my session.
b. I can have 6 - 10 or more tables going because the action that's on you is a lot slower than 6Max.
c. I'll still join these tables with 7 players or more.

Overall I like 6Max as my preferred table to look for.

BeaverTrump

BeaverTrump

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I consider that on unique essential difference in game 6-max from 9-max that are absent UTG, UTG+1 and UTG+2. In the rest of essential differences is not observed and I play as 9 max:D

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on my mood when I want to play conservatively I'll go with 9 max so i dont get hit with the blinds to often. If i feel agressive and loose i'll play 6 max.

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main differences between a 6 and 9 player table is the action.

If you are a tight player then 9 is better for you. Wait it out till it gets down to 6-7 players (SnG) than change gears when you start getting decent hands to see the flop. On a cash table, it allows you to sit back and watch the play to get a better read on who's doing what.

A 6 person table allows you to play more hands and be more aggressive.
Those pocket pairs are usually not going to go up against a better pocket pair.

The profit on a 9 player SnG is better than a 6 player.
Ring games of 6 usually mean you will see many different players at the table. They bust out and leave, so getting a read maybe a little more difficult.

:cool:

nyr11jagr68

nyr11jagr68

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For cash games I prefer 9 player max, I play tighter in cash games I am more affective that way. As for SnG I play both. Just make sure you adjust your player for the type your playing in.

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Many people push with bad cards and it becomes a lottery...."

A lottery where you know your odds before you make a decision.

I like the 6 for aggressive play (online), and 9 for live play, where I'm ussually much more patient.

Also my live reads are better than my online reads. But 9 live, 6 online.

M33K3R

M33K3R

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play 6max. It has been more profitable to me than full ring, and I seem to enjoy it more. I like playing more hands than sitting and waiting.