5nl FR: 10x bb open preflop

T

Tricky123bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In today's cash game session (5nl full ring) it got opened to 10bb by an SLP (his stats was something like 26/8, I'm not entirely sure) in MP. I had JJ in the CO and decided to fold, since this was something out of the ordinary, hadn't seen him or any of the other players at the table do it. Is this still just a 3bet or do you think he couldn't do it with any worse hands?

I also feel like I get scared when players usually open for 3bb, and sometimes decide to make it 5bb or more. Should I just play it the same way as normal, or should I do something differently? What do you suggest?

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
10bb sounds like a fish with a vulnerable hand.

H

hemul74

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fish usually plays QQ+ so and sometimes small pairs. It seems like you made the right decision.

Usually weak players have QQ+ here. Rarely are medium pairs. I think you made the right decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pauliefromgoodfellas

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In today's cash game session (5nl full ring) it got opened to 10bb by an SLP (his stats was something like 26/8, I'm not entirely sure) in MP. I had JJ in the CO and decided to fold, since this was something out of the ordinary, hadn't seen him or any of the other players at the table do it. Is this still just a 3bet or do you think he couldn't do it with any worse hands?

I also feel like I get scared when players usually open for 3bb, and sometimes decide to make it 5bb or more. Should I just play it the same way as normal, or should I do something differently? What do you suggest?

I dont think a call in the cutoff is terrible, you can probably buy position in the hand by raising and if you think you have any fold equity that can be factored in. When he reraises you can flat/fold depending on how much he raises.

That said, I don't mind love or hate the fold. He could likely play aks, jj-aa all this way. If you're up against an over pair a set is likely to let you double up against a weaker player.

T

Tricky123bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're up against an over pair a set is likely to let you double up against a weaker player.

I don't have the right odds to "setmine" though. And with JJ the flop is going to come with overcards about 1/2 the time, putting me in difficult spots.

A

Alex12122312

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10BB is completely meaningless

I

ISuckAtPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the correct play is to call for two reasons: 1) you are in position 2) he will probably play straightforward postflop, which means you can easily outplay him on several runouts, for example if he checks on a low board he likely has overcards. We probably shouldn't 3-bet against this open because we will probably have to fold against a 4-bet jam, which seems wasteful, and I think folding, while acceptable, is too nitty.