re: Poker & 5 situations I encountered in 1/2NL (200NL) Live Cash
1) Dealt 93 on the button. There were no raises, just maybe 2-3 limpers. I folded. Do you like to bet ATC here? How large a pre-flop would I need to clear some people out? 4BB + 1BB/limper = $14. Let's say V misses and check/folds. Was it worth risking $14 just to win $6 ?
93 is pretty lousy HU or multiway. Even for a dead money grabber 93 is a fold.
2) You get A 10 in very early position. Do you fold, limp, or raise?
AT UTG/UTG+1 is a fold. It feels tight tossing a what's often considered a "premium" hand, but if you have 8-9 people to act behind you you'll almost always be facing difficult decisions with AT. I'm not even a huge fan of AJo UTG in a full ring.
3) You get Q 10 in late position cutoff. 6 people have limped before you. Do you like to fold or raise? If raise, how much? 4BB + 6BB = 10BB ? ($20 bet in 1/2NL)
This is negotiable. With 6 limpers I don't think it's a bad idea to put in a big raise. People are a bit more aggressive pre flop in live 1/2 from my experience, so I'd put in something like $24. HOWEVER, before routinely making this kind of a move, I think it's important to have a good idea of what the first limper's open-limp range is, and how likely he is to call. Some guys will open limp Ace-Rag, and simply not fold it. And if your first limper doesn't fold, some of the other limpers are getting better odds to come along. Take the temperature of the table!
4) Dealt pocket 2's. There is a $24 FPR before me. One other person call before me. Rule of 20 not happening here, as stacks sizes are not huge here. $24 x 20 = $500. Avg stack was closer to $150, tops. I folded. Was this the right move?
I tend to like small pocket pairs because the 1/8 times you hit a set it pays pretty well. But it kind of requires that you feel you can get more than 8x the money when you hit. 22 is playable HU, but pretty much useless multi-way as you're almost always going to be beat by the river. Other thing to consider is that 12xBB raise is pretty looney, and the flat call behind it signals crazy strength. Good chance that 22 is up against a higher pocket pairs here - and can result over the dreaded set over set. This is a fold.
5) Dealt QQ in early position. I raise to $8. Several callers. Flop comes with a King, and I think I fold when V bets out.
This is one of the places online and live tend to be very different. 4xBB early raise usually only gets one or two callers online. Live, you're going to have to size higher. UTG I usually open $13. $8 I'll save for CO/BTN