3bet only strategy from MP vs UTG RFI?

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, I noticed some preflop charts (such as the ones in upswing lab) have a no cold call strategy vs UTG opens unless you are in button or BB.

Thoughts on this strategy? The 3 bet % seems to be decently large too, much more than I would be comfortable playing vs. an UTG open.

This is for 6max btw

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we assume that utg is a reasonable open-range player, he could open some lighter hands like 5-6s; 7-6s; 8-Ts; J-9s; Q-T; KJ; Kxs. And this group of hands can generally be neutralized with a higher value, for example: A-5s; A-6s; A7s; +. But most of the time it is profitable to raise with these hands in front of an open utg, since we are ahead in kickers and we block high combinations for the V rank. The option to call makes of sense when we have a tight image in the table and We expect a high fold equity for the rest of the positions, after our unusual limp in mp.
Greetings.

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we use the hold'em manager during the game, then we look at its percentage of opening by position and fold to the triplet and from this data we decide what to do. 3bet call or fold.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the explanations guys. I figured the biggest reaaon for this is to avoid getting squeezed but I do wonder if having at least some calls is really losing EV compared to 3betting the entire continue range? For example, setmines and I normally do as well.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I meant to say Pokersnowie setmines

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the explanations guys. I figured the biggest reaaon for this is to avoid getting squeezed but I do wonder if having at least some calls is really losing EV compared to 3betting the entire continue range? For example, setmines and I normally do as well.

Maybe we don't lose too much ev if we aspire for of medium scales top sets for a wet board, coordinated towards low and medium values.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe we don't lose too much ev if we aspire for of medium scales top sets for a wet board, coordinated towards low and medium values.

The thing is given the rake at microstakes this becomes marginally + ev at best. It all depends on the villains/ table we are sitting at.

VS the pool in zoom for instance I play the same unless I have passive whales sitting in lp, then I would see the merit in flatting medium pp's.