3 of a kind vs possible straight?

RSemjonovs

RSemjonovs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys! I'm new to online poker and started my journey in the beginning of 2k18.
Right now I have played about 20k hands and my bankroll is -2.81$.
I want to improve my skills and one of my friends suggested that I read this forum and ask for advice about incorrectly played hands.
In the below hand I called river although I wanted to re-raise but was afraid of 8. My question is should I have called or re-raised river considering his bank against pot size? Or even fold?
P.S. I'm using HM2 and I have played 63 hands against this player. Any advice would be appreciated.
My nickname is OPKingFish

***** 888poker Hand History for Game 1187805840 *****
$0.01/$0.02 Blinds No Limit Holdem - *** 26 06 2018 12:57:11
Table Pereira 9 Max (real money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: nznaki ( $2.06 )
Seat 2: Fisher141 ( $1.31 )
Seat 3: Atiti98 ( $2 )
Seat 4: westgate19 ( $1.66 )
Seat 5: toska21 ( $1.97 )
Seat 6: vitalik399 ( $2.24 )
Seat 7: Zamglai ( $3.11 )
Seat 9: rpdon888 ( $1.08 )
Seat 10: OPKingFish ( $4.05 )
Zamglai posts small blind [$0.01]
rpdon888 posts big blind [$0.02]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to OPKingFish [ Tc, Ts ]
OPKingFish raises [$0.05]
nznaki folds
Fisher141 folds
Atiti98 folds
westgate19 calls [$0.05]
toska21 folds
vitalik399 folds
Zamglai folds
rpdon888 calls [$0.03]
** Dealing flop ** [ 5h, 9s, Th ]
rpdon888 bets [$0.08]
OPKingFish calls [$0.08]
westgate19 calls [$0.08]
** Dealing turn ** [ 7s ]
rpdon888 bets [$0.20]
OPKingFish calls [$0.20]
westgate19 folds
** Dealing river ** [ 6d ]
rpdon888 bets [$0.40]
OPKingFish calls [$0.40]
** Summary **
rpdon888 shows [ 5d, 2d ]
OPKingFish shows [ Tc, Ts ]
OPKingFish collected [ $1.50 ]

Last edited:
elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure, J/8 and 7/8 are both reasonable hands there,( or for that matter, 10/8, 9/8, 6/8, even Q/8, at those stakes ). But why didn't you raise the flop ? The way I play I would have raised pot there and just won a tiny pot, but I'm going to make someone pay for their draws.

Y

Yoda_Priest_X_Napo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not slowplay Set on this extremely dangerous board especially multiway and on these stakes, try to put as much money as possible inside the pot before you get outdrawn or you lose action because the board gets too scary for your opponent hands.There are also many turns where you will have to check because you dont have the nuts anymore and getting check-raised gonna be horrible, for example on a card like 8 or K where QJ will make straight.Checking the turn will let your opponents realize their equity even with extremely weird hands that have runners on the flop, like a signle low heart or runner runner straight, and that is gonna be horrible for you when you wont know what to do on the river and you might have to call a bet. You should only flat that very rarely and only vs players who have solid ranges and are able to bluff you on 3 streets

RSemjonovs

RSemjonovs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@elflake

I didn't raise because I wanted to earn more money on that table. If I raised the flop he would have definitely folded... I knew he had a pair or something on the flop but definitely nothing better than my cards. Or should I have called flop then re-raised turn? If he re-raised me once again he would have straight draw.

@Yoda_Priest_X_Napo

Sorry, I'm not sure what you meant by that...

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Hello!

In poker, we can not be sure of 100% what hand the opponent has against us?!In this case, you have the top set on the flop. These are your cards and I think you can go all-in! The board is not as scary as three diamonds or something, to make a slow play! You played the highest set on the flop, like a pair of fives.When you got to the river, why did not you raise the last chips from his stack? Still, you have a bigger chip stack than his! I may be wrong, but I would play that way in this situation!
Congratulations, you have won!

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have raised the flop. If villain is going to donk lead into your set, its an opportunity to build a big pot and make villain pay to draw. You may have a set over set situation or maybe villain has pair with a back door draw or just a pure draw, or maybe an over pair. Whatever, start building a pot. In this case, villain probably folds and you lose out on the turn and river bets, but this villain is going to give his money away on a later hand.

As played, I think you can only call the river.

RSemjonovs

RSemjonovs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@georgi krastev

Yes, I wanted to shove him all-in considering his chip stack against mine and pot size. Meanwhile, I was afraid of 8! Looks like I should have re-raised to make him go all-in. Thanks for the advice!

@Gildog89

Thanks for the advice, appreciate!
Looking forward to raise the flop next time. Although I think that I should have re-raised river to make him go all-in considering his chip stack against mine and pot size.

.... Thank you all for the advice. Good luck on the tables and may the force be with you.