$2NL | Optimal bet sizing vs position?

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your optimal bet sizing preflop vs the position you're in? For instance what bet sizing would you use for stealing blinds when on BTN/SB ? what bet sizing do you use from EP with premium hands? I tend to raise my big pocket pairs 88+ like 4x pre just to get garbage hands out of the way since people call a lot more in micros.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What's your optimal bet sizing preflop vs the position you're in? For instance what bet sizing would you use for stealing blinds when on BTN/SB ? what bet sizing do you use from EP with premium hands? I tend to raise my big pocket pairs 88+ like 4x pre just to get garbage hands out of the way since people call a lot more in micros.

Thank U 4 Posting.

As you alluded to in your post we adjust our bet sizing to our villain pool. If we want a single caller and from early position the only way to get that is to bet 25bb we bet 25bb. If it takes a shove we do that. If we are not getting our one caller we need to reduce our size. If on the other hand 2 bb's gets one caller than that is what we raise.

If multiple callers occur at any sizing we should use smaller preflop bets and larger post flop bets when we are favorites post flop.

At the micro levels villains seldom fold made pairs post flop so 4x 88 may get us heads up but it will be with a coin flip hand often, in what may be a bad Stack to Pot Ratio spot. We should be thinking about SPR when thinking about optimal raise sizes.

Hope this helps

:):)

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m of the opinion that your bet sizing should only be determined by your position and number of players in the pot and not by hand strength... reason being that I don’t want my bet size to be a tell. So if I have a TT and I decided to raise a pot, then it will be the same as if I am doing it with AA so that villain can’t really use my bet size to narrow my range.

But I do let position change how I raise. My standard raise is 3X. So it’s 3BB to go is I’m RFI. If I’m 3betting, then it’s 3X the preflop raise.

Then I add 1x for each player in (whether it’s a limp or a raiser). And then I add 1x more if I am in the blinds preflop.

So if I’m in LP and there are 2 limpers ahead of me, I’d raise to 5BB. If I’m in the blinds with 2 limpers ahead of me, I’d go 6BB. If there was a limp and a raise in LP, I’d probably go 4-5X preflop raise in an attempt to make limper fold and isolate and add another 1X if I’m trying to do it from the blinds and hope I can get the pot right there because I really don’t like playing OOP postflop. My goal is to make speculative hands fold preflop (such as low connectors, even low pocket pairs) to make my post flop decision making easier as these bet sizes will hopefully help me narrow opponents ranges as I observe how they respond to my moves.

Post flop, then will be factors such as position, pot size, reads on opponents and effective stack size. I’m learning to plan ahead from the preflop raise so I have an idea of how I handle different scenarios and I’m still working that out in my game. But I do believe having a general game plan once you see the flop is important. Often times, the bet size is based on % of pot. I don’t know if I want to change bet size based on hand strength unless I’m willing to use this in my bluffs later on. But i also don’t think there is much use in overthinking it in lower limits.

My 2c anyway.

Last edited: