2NL: how to exploit regs as much as possible?

G

gabl136

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The question is simple, the answer is probably not :)

I've tried light 3-betting lately and after some big disasters I think I've got it down :) Are there any other ways to exploit regs at the micros?

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really really vague question but here is a couple simple ones. If they are cbetting 80%+ over 100 hands or more, start raising flops with backdoor draws that you can gain turn equity with and barrel off. If villains are opening the CO when you are on the button repeatedly, its a good spot to get away with some very light 3 bets with speculative hands. These answers are vague too and you can get into trouble with these plays so don't get crazy and pick your spots wisely.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The major problem is that you need a lot if information about the "regulars" in order to make a move against them. There are players that steal a lot the blinds and have like 80-90% of fold vs resteals, and they are very exploitable, other players are exploitable by 4bet bluffing, others be raising their cbets in flops that are unlikely that hit them.
The thing is that in order to make any of these moves, you need a lot of information about them, and I think that without a HUD, it will be very difficult to obtain

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of 2NL regs will Cbet the flop with air then check-fold the turn if they miss. I recommend you either raise them on the flop, or float them on the flop and bet into them on the turn.

EDIT: I say this because I'm one of those 2NL regs and I hate it when people play back at me haha.
EDIT2: Another suggestion is to throw in a light 4bet when you think that a reg is light 3betting you (eg. you raise to $0.06 on BTN, reg on SB/BB raises to $0.18, you raise to $0.45, reg folds pretty much his entire range except AK, KK and AA).

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to exploit regs is to try and play with as few of them at your tables as possible. You want as many recreational players and fish as you can find and at 2nl that shouldn't be too difficult.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of 2NL regs will Cbet the flop with air then check-fold the turn if they miss. I recommend you either raise them on the flop, or float them on the flop and bet into them on the turn.

EDIT: I say this because I'm one of those 2NL regs and I hate it when people play back at me haha.
EDIT2: Another suggestion is to throw in a light 4bet when you think that a reg is light 3betting you (eg. you raise to $0.06 on BTN, reg on SB/BB raises to $0.18, you raise to $0.45, reg folds pretty much his entire range except AK, KK and AA).

Well, you CBet 92%, you are exactly the type of reg I would exploit by raising flops and floating. If you are being floated often, you should atleast tone down your cbetting when OOP vs regs that are floating alot or plan on barreling.

G

gabl136

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is so little 3-betting in general at 2NL that I rarely get the opportunity to 4bet light. Also, to do that I need a good hand sample on the player, which is rare at 2NL.

As for the C-betting (my 92% cbet). I've been thinking alot about this lately, I've also been going through hands to se when i lose the most.

However, 2NL is also so passive that I mostly get folds when i C-bet or double barrel. And when I get re-raised I just fold unless I have the nuts. Also, i don't think i've been exploited because of that. Not much anyway.

But i'm working on improving reading ranges and board textures. I'll post some hands when I have the time to do so.

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, you CBet 92%, you are exactly the type of reg I would exploit by raising flops and floating. If you are being floated often, you should atleast tone down your cbetting when OOP vs regs that are floating alot or plan on barreling.

Have you played much zoom poker? The players there are so nitty that I feel like it's criminal not to take advantage of them by Cbetting the flop. Think about it: you only need the villain to fold 43% of the time to make a 75% pot Cbet profitable. There's rarely a time (apart from multiway pots) when I expect my opponent to call my Flop Cbet more than 57% of the time (since a random hand will miss the flop the majority of the time), thus I feel like Cbetting the flop is almost always profitable. This is why both my red (non-showdown) and blue (showdown) lines are positive, rather than having a negative red line (like most winning 2NL regs).

Also, since you get moved to a different table each hand, it's hard for anyone except a reg to know what you're up to, since their sample size on you is generally quite small, so it's easier to get away with having exploitable stats like these when you're playing zoom.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope to the zoom experience, play your game bruh

G

gabl136

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, i don't play ZOOM at all. And unless there is somebody who can show me he can beat ZOOM at least 7BB/100 in the long run, then i think ZOOM is absolutely wasting time and brain power.

Winrate at regular tables is a lot higher (after learnin to exploit high fold to 3bet it's been 17.70BB/100 for the last 10K hands or so)

I play 8 tables for now, that makes about 500 hands/hour. The question then is, can you play at least 1K hands/hour at ZOOM and maintain a high winrate? I don't think so. I might be wrong, and If I am I'm sure people will upload their stats to prove me so :)

Also, red line doesn't have to be negative at 2NL. I win more from non showdown then from the showdown hands, especially lately since i've been 3-betting regs in late position alot, and for now noone has adjusted to exploit me back:

And also, not having stats goes both ways. The leaks of some regulars seem to be so big and they adjust horribly. In fact, they don't seem to be adjusting at all.

What is your winrate at ZOOM and what is your sample?

Attachments

• 3bet.jpg
    3bet.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The question is simple, the answer is probably not :)

I've tried light 3-betting lately and after some big disasters I think I've got it down :) Are there any other ways to exploit regs at the micros?

The regs at those stakes vary in ability. In order to get optimal results for your inquiry, you will need to mention regs by screen name. If you are playing QuACEczar, my advice is to just give him your chips early and save time. :smile:

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, i don't play ZOOM at all. And unless there is somebody who can show me he can beat ZOOM at least 7BB/100 in the long run, then i think ZOOM is absolutely wasting time and brain power.

Winrate at regular tables is a lot higher (after learnin to exploit high fold to 3bet it's been 17.70BB/100 for the last 10K hands or so)

I play 8 tables for now, that makes about 500 hands/hour. The question then is, can you play at least 1K hands/hour at ZOOM and maintain a high winrate? I don't think so. I might be wrong, and If I am I'm sure people will upload their stats to prove me so :)

Also, red line doesn't have to be negative at 2NL. I win more from non showdown then from the showdown hands, especially lately since i've been 3-betting regs in late position alot, and for now noone has adjusted to exploit me back:

And also, not having stats goes both ways. The leaks of some regulars seem to be so big and they adjust horribly. In fact, they don't seem to be adjusting at all.

What is your winrate at ZOOM and what is your sample?

My winrate at 2NL zoom is only 6bb/100 over a 50k sample, but I'm far from a professional poker player (plus I believe I'm playing at a 10bb/100 winrate atm, but my overall winrate is lowered because I used to play worse). I know some players can maintain a 40bb/100 win rate at 2NL zoom over a large sample size. I actually think that the same winrates are possible at zoom compared to regular tables, for any given stake.

Also, zoom is way more convenient in terms of booting up 4 tables and being able to see what's going on easier, and you can play way more hands per hour (1000 hands per hour is standard at zoom). Thus I believe that zoom is superior to the regular tables. Plus I find that I get a lot less tilted at the zoom tables compared to the regular tables, due to the simplicity of only having 4 tables to deal with and not having to wait for my turn, which is another huge benefit.

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can 2NLH be profitable long term? I understand you can turn a profit at any stake but is 2NLH worth playing for the profit, I'm a 5NLH player and was wondering if it would be easier to move down to 2NLH and MT?

G

gabl136

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, i won't believe someone can play 40bb/100 in the long run unless i see the graph. Plase keep us posted if you maintain your 10BB/100 winrate.

G

gabl136

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@MoeJurphy: I don't intend on staying at 2NL when I think I'm good enough to move up. If someone plays poker for money and the money only I think 2NL is a waste of time. Calculate and you'll see.

8 tables, 60 hands per table = 480 hands / hour. Playing at 10BB/100 makes it $0.96 / hour. That is if you can maintain 10BB/100, and from what i've heard, the vast majority of players cant?

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bro at 2nl you really shouldn't even be looking to exploit regs at all! Table selection is absolute key, and you should honestly just look to get in as many pots with the fish as possible while avoiding marginal spots with regs where you can.

Honestly table selection is just so important. At 2nl if done right, you can sit down at a 6max table with 5 fish.

G

gabl136

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I table select religiously (i use table scan turbo). But why not add a blind here and there by exploiting regs as well, when possible :)

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, i won't believe someone can play 40bb/100 in the long run unless i see the graph. Plase keep us posted if you maintain your 10BB/100 winrate.

I will continue grinding 2NL zoom until my overall winrate is at least 10bb/100, just to prove a point :p

Also, look up xflixx (Felix Schneiders) on Youtube. He made a series called "Grinding it up" where he goes from $80 to $8000 playing predominantly 6-max zoom on pokerstars. He starts at 2NL zoom and towards the end of the challenge, he's playing 100NL and 200NL zoom.

But play whatever works for you. I love 6-max zoom tables (so do many others on this forum), but I think that the regular tables are more popular overall and many grinders don't mind spending time table selecting, so if that works for you, then go for it.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I table select religiously (i use table scan turbo). But why not add a blind here and there by exploiting regs as well, when possible :)

Yeah true mate do you have a hud? One of the most simple way to exploit regs is simply to check their fold to 3bet stat and if it's high just 3bet them with pretty much any two cards. They will fold 80-90% of the time and fold the flop when you cbet in the hands they do call. Easy money.

Another way is to check how many tables they are playing and their fold to steal %. If they fold a lot in the blinds then steal them every single time you have the opportunity.

T

Tomasz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
float with position is better than >>> barreling ,light 3-betting range AJo, ATs KJo transfer to call open better range + good cold call range on the SB BB

G

gabl136

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah true mate do you have a hud? One of the most simple way to exploit regs is simply to check their fold to 3bet stat and if it's high just 3bet them with pretty much any two cards. They will fold 80-90% of the time and fold the flop when you cbet in the hands they do call. Easy money.

Another way is to check how many tables they are playing and their fold to steal %. If they fold a lot in the blinds then steal them every single time you have the opportunity.

Yes, I use a HUD (HM2)

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, good question OP, but.....

Unless you are currently exploiting the fish and recs, there is no point trying to beat the regs.