Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So a Hand That Happened Quickly!
Hero Utg 100BB Stack!
Hero with A[emoji812]️T[emoji813]️!
Hero Opens 3x From Utg.
folded around to Villian on BB with 150(40BB stack)
Villian is kind of fishy Fun Player!
Villian Shoves!
Hero Calls.
Villian shows J[emoji813]️K[emoji813]️!
J on flop Villian Holds!
Now Looking at equity its 45-55 Basically a coinflip!
what do you think about call and openraise size?

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first of all ATo could be a fold preflop, but as there is fish on big blind then it's ok to open it. Open 3x is ok.

I'm not sure if calling to allin was ok. If fish used to push many hands then it's ok, but if it was his 1st time and you didn't see any crazy action from him then I would just fold. It's always 40bbs and fishes are different.

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first of all ATo could be a fold preflop, but as there is fish on big blind then it's ok to open it. Open 3x is ok.

I'm not sure if calling to allin was ok. If fish used to push many hands then it's ok, but if it was his 1st time and you didn't see any crazy action from him then I would just fold. It's always 40bbs and fishes are different.
ATo is standard open 6 max!

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ATo is standard open 6 max!

No not really my first thought when reading this analysis was I would have folded A10o UTG.. I generally open 12% of my range with 100bb UTG in cash. Changes slightly in different variations of tables. Never includes ATo UTG though. MP and late position absolutely an open.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there's no fixed thing in poker as in ATo is a fold UTG.
It's about ranges according to the way you play. Otherwise every "winning" player would be playing 21/19
ATo I'm openening sometimes UTG & folding at times.
to the op, poker is a long term game.
As you ran the numbers you are only 55-45 there. That means you lose 45% of the time. Just deal with it or don't play the high variance game. easy

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there's no fixed thing in poker as in ATo is a fold UTG.

of course it's not. But people create open ranges for a reason. One of them is making a profit with your opens. And with that hand it's good to have some more reasons than just opening it in vacuum.

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your obviously an idiot and "a fish" yourself for calling an all-in of 400$ with a10 off. You knew at best PF that you were about a 50% chance to win the hand and you still called. Again, your the fish. You didn't respect his bluff and got caught. Anyone who calls an all in like you did here belongs @ roulette not poker. Is that what you wanted to hear?

Sincerely, your the fish.

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No not really my first thought when reading this analysis was I would have folded A10o UTG.. I generally open 12% of my range with 100bb UTG in cash. Changes slightly in different variations of tables. Never includes ATo UTG though. MP and late position absolutely an open.
The tighter the game the looser you are!

E

Edvin55555

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If fish shoves any 2 cards it's a good call.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The tighter the game the looser you are!

First off, you have No live reads at all in your Original post other than villain being a fishy fun player, nothing about the table playing tight. Even with the table playing tight I don’t open A10o UTG I have 0 problems folding it. If you play by the thought of, “oh tables playing tight I’m loosening up” you’re gonna run into problems. IMO. It’s a complex game and each decision changes the outcome of the game. I don’t want to give generic answers because decisions being made about range is player specific and what works for me might not work for you. Just offering a different way too look at it. If you’re profitable do
What you do, if you’re not consider the fact what your doing might not be the best decision.

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First off, you have No live reads at all in your Original post other than villain being a fishy fun player, nothing about the table playing tight. Even with the table playing tight I don’t open A10o UTG I have 0 problems folding it. If you play by the thought of, “oh tables playing tight I’m loosening up” you’re gonna run into problems. IMO. It’s a complex game and each decision changes the outcome of the game. I don’t want to give generic answers because decisions being made about range is player specific and what works for me might not work for you. Just offering a different way too look at it. If you’re profitable do
What you do, if you’re not consider the fact what your doing might not be the best decision.
its 6 max not full ring.
you can even open A9o.
Take a look at any open raise chart!

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its 6 max not full ring.
you can even open A9o.

Important to remember charts are just suggestions. You should do your own research, and find out for yourself how each hand plays per position long term. I know for me, after tens of thousands of hands it’s not profitable for me to open A10o UTG. If you choose to do otherwise, good luck and I hope it works out for you. I wish you the best in your poker journey.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its 6 max not full ring.
you can even open A9o.

show me some open chart where it shows to open A9o on EP. I can't believe that someone recommends it. For most of people ATo from EP is a losing hand, same like KQo but opening A9o seems like a super wide EP range which you clearly can't play profitable. As you ask questions about ATo vs 40bb fish then I'm pretty sure you can't make a profit with ATo too and you want to open A9o? good advice for you is just to stay with AJo+.

and like MemphisGrind said: charts are just suggestions.
what I can advice for you and for many people just don't learn charts from upswing poker. They are too wide for the begginer players. By the way even them advice to fold A9o on EP and ATo is open or fold hand.

V

Vulpix

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think ATo is a borderline hand, depends on the table, as others have said. It is not a clear fold or raise. On loose/tough tables, can fold; if the table is tight/nitty/setmining, can open.
If you have pokertacker (or similar) you can actually track table statistics, which will give you a decent indication for how the table is playing, and can use to adjust your preflop ranges/strategy. When villain shoves, I think you should fold. Even if they are loose aggressive, you are at best a marginal edge. Surely, you can find a better spot against a 'fish', right? :) I have recently heard that in earlier positions, you can/should adjust your opening size to be smaller. So perhaps 2.5/2.25x instead of the standard 3x, maybe a more experienced player can chime in; this may be better too with shortstackers present.
Also, as discussed, the hand truly can be an open, or a fold. On this specific table, since there is a shortstacker (who clearly shoves marginal hands) the hand is probably a fold. With them at the table, you should probably tighten you range a bit preflop. Better luck next time :)
-vulpix

Last edited:
Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have recently heard that in earlier positions, you can/should adjust your opening size to be smaller. So perhaps 2.5/2.25x instead of the standard 3x, maybe a more experienced player can chime in;

poker evolved from many years and people started to open wider and started to 3bet more. 10-7 years ago it was pretty standard to open 4x from every position. Now we are close to ~2.5x. Sometimes it's 2.8x, sometimes 2.2x. Depends from positions. On zoom just many players open 2.5x from every positions and i'm ok with that. But on micro regular tables I believe that we should open just 3x, 2.9x, 2.8x on EP. Because you play a strong range from EP, and you want to win bigger pots with your big hands. + people on micro are mostly calling stations and if you would choose lower sizing then you would more multiway pots what we want often to avoid.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules