1/3 river decision w/ trips

skilletlicker

skilletlicker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$300 Eff.Two ep limpers. Hero raises to $15 in the LJ with with KQo
Blinds call. Both limpers call. I think I made a mistake not making it $20. I usually 5x plus 3 for each limper.

Flop(75) 4 9 Q r
V in the BB bets 50. Hero calls.
Villain is a mid 20's white guy. Bets draws. Seen him bet top pair weak kicker aggressively. I'm worried about a set of 4s or two pair though.

Turn(175) 4 9 Q 7r
V checks. Hero checks.

River(175) 4 9 Q 7 Q
V bets 95. Hero?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So everyone else folded to villain's 50bb bet on the flop? It doesn't sound like you have much of a read on him... white guy who has overvalued tpwk? I would be worried about AQ here as well on top of the possible Qx two-pairs that graduated to boats.

The turn checks are very weird. I think your villain was feigning weakness here. You missed a chance to get some more value or information on this street from a bet.

As played, I would call and hope it's a weaker Qx that's not a boat or otherwise KK+. Raising wouldn't lead to worse hands calling you.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$300 Eff.Two ep limpers. Hero raises to $15 in the LJ with with KQo
Blinds call. Both limpers call. I think I made a mistake not making it $20. I usually 5x plus 3 for each limper.

Flop(75) 4 9 Q r
V in the BB bets 50. Hero calls.
Villain is a mid 20's white guy. Bets draws. Seen him bet top pair weak kicker aggressively. I'm worried about a set of 4s or two pair though.

Turn(175) 4 9 Q 7r
V checks. Hero checks.

River(175) 4 9 Q 7 Q
V bets 95. Hero?

IMO you need to call.

At best he has 2 pair - Queens and Nines (or similar)

Trip Queens is good here !

Good luck !

ACEWOLF56

ACEWOLF56

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He checked on the turn. With your top pair I feel you should’ve bet about half the pot. Like you said, he has played more aggressively with a weak kicker, but I know you’re worry about a set. Chances are that he can have QJ, Q10. I would’ve bet the turn and see his thought process from the outside in.

T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would snap call with KQ!!! no way we can fold on this river unless he is super tight...

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,
I think your initial raise pre-flop is fine. I usually do 3x plus 1bb per limper. ($16 here) The fact you have 5 people going to the flop means a lot of them are limping hoping for a flop that goes their way. keep this in mind for later hands.

Flop
Villain bets 50, not bad, just 3.2x your earlier bet. All the folders made nothing in the flop. I suspect the villain did. I would 3 bet here to get information. You could also do it on the turn when he checks, but it needs done before you call his bets. A 3 bet here will get him to fold a number of hands.

Turn
If you didn't 3 bet earlier, definitely bet decently here. if the villain calls, you can figure he has AA, KK, AQ, KQ or QX.

River
Villian bets 95 (by now if you call 1/2 your stack is in.) Calling is a good option if your read on him is pushing a Qbadkicker combo. However, if he called or raised your 3 bet, you should be folded by now. If you are still here he could have a Q9 suited giving him a full house.

skilletlicker

skilletlicker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On the flop when he bet 50 into four people I was a bit worried he had hit a set or Q9.
If I raised him here "for information" wouldn't only better hands continue @sedlacekj? Decided to check turn for pot control. On the river I was wondering if I should raise for value from a worse queen. I decided to just call. The player had KK. Guess I couldv'e got a couple more $ from a min raise.

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My general thinking preflop is that if you dont have fold equity you are going to small. When you get called by 4 guys it means you should have gone bigger. [Keep in mind for future hands].

On the flop ; he closed the action from the big blind, he can have all sorts of trash here like Q2 suited and can be better for protection from overcards. Always calling here.

On the turn ; When he checks the turn I would bet, he is never checking a set or two pair here [he would be trying to get the money in.] As played so far, I would bet the turn and bomb the river and go for max value against a weak queen or a medium pair [10s js] that just dont believe us.

On the river ; 100% bombing the river here. We know he doesnt have 2pair+ when he checks the turn, I would go for max value for when he has Q10 QJ ect and stubborn pairs. As played I would raise the river to whatever amount you think he will call.

Results ; He ends up having kings but he really shouldnt lol. He may have found a hero fold with that hand, you might have made more in this spot than I would have. Long term I think its better to go for max value against what his range should have than worry about "monsters under the bed," like premium hands overcalling in a 5 way pot. Based on the way he played this hand, I never expect that to be a winning player lol, more reason to go for value.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a must call river bet in your position

the board is rainbow and no straights got there

you are only losing if he flopped a set or has AQ

in this case, i think a river call is the play

VisionNutz

VisionNutz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes as the general agreement is calling here and hope its good enough.

You played this okay tbh

What does the thread think about raising the flop after villain leads for 50 tho?

Also agreeing with others here that think you can bet turn safely and filter out some hands..

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being a regular who plays the 1/3 or 2/3 100-300 game. This is literally just a standard call here. I don't think there is any reason to try and get value here unless you have a huge read on him. Yes, you have to call here and hope he don't have AQ... It is highly unlikely he checks a set on the turn. I am amazed he didn't 3-bet Pre-Flop..and if he did have AQ or probably even QJ he is definitely betting 95 minimum if not All-In.

Standard call here it's not even worth thinking about it to be honest lol...

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's online he has a boat, if it's live he has a Q in his hand.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This V as described can even have JT here. This is a slam dunk call. Only you can really speak to the pre flop sizing that is optimal to limit the number of callers. I like to size up over multiple limpers but $15 may be fine in your game depending on the table. I like the flop call. If he has JT or a smaller Q or even a hand like A9 trying to steal if we raise he may fold and we win the minimum. When he checks turn this does not seem like the type of player to bet 3/4 pot on the flop then check to trap. The 7 doesn't change anything. You also seem like a snug player who isn't going to blast off as soon as he shows weakness. Checking back turn may actually be the optimal play here against a wide range to allow him to bluff rivers when his JT misses or value bet too thin with his A9 when he think we have AK since we only called flop and checked turn. I don't mind betting the turn either to charge the draws but checking back isn't awful if you think it will induce a river bet. As played you just absolutely have to call this river. I hope you did.

Another thing to consider. Do not alter Vs ranges based on how YOU would play the hand. Alter them based on how THEY would play the hand. The act that he led into 4 people with a 3/4 pot bet on the flop doesn't mean the same range that YOU would lead into 4 people with that sizing. This guy seems to be willing to put stacks in play with top pair no kicker. We should let me do exactly that in this hand. If he has us beat here so be it. I expect a player like this to 3 bet pre with a bigger Q or KK+ and bet the turn with all of those hands and his sets as well.

Last edited:
A

Alijohn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
V could have possibly KK, his flop raise showing that. He waited your bet at the turn card but you just checked and on the river he bets regardless of Second Q because hethinks you should probably bet at the turn card if you got Q. You made mistakeat the turn card but call at the river bet brings you the pot.