1-2 NLH Tips

MarcusEraPoker

MarcusEraPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In your opinion... What are the 3 most important things to remember when playing 1-2 NLH?

J

johnathan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
picking the table, recognizes who's the table aggressor. Know when to fold aces post-flop.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Consider the money spent as soon as you buy in.

Stick to fundamentals.

Focus on opponents at least as much as your own hands.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One set of rules isn't that different from limit to limit. 1-2NL shouldn't have a different set of rules than 2-4NL

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I assume this is live poker. Disregard this entire post if this is online poker.

1. Learn how to fold FFS. If the terrible players you are playing against are check raising you on Q-9-10 two spades, and your hand is Ad-Ah, yeah dude, they just have it. Any signs of aggression from otherwise passive players is 2p+ 90%+ of the time. If you can't beat nuts/near nuts hands, fold, for the love of **** just fold. These fish at 1/2 aren't check raising you with air cause they think you are bluffing. They flopped a monster, and they are terrified of being drawn out on. They are going to do their best to let you know exactly what they have, and allow you to play perfectly and fold.

2. Play tight. Play even tighter in EP. If you are opening Qd-5d at a table full of fish UTG, yeah you are kind of asking for it. You might think "they'll never put me on this hand!", and even consider yourself a wizard (capable of sorcery at will) when you flop Q-Q-5 and chop some poor schumck's head off with A-Q. Wait for good hands. Don't be like the rest of the buffoons limping every hand for 4 hours, and trying to hit that flop. Play tight.

3. Don't tilt. Pretty simple. If you lose a pot, don't go on life tilt and shove every hand for an orbit. Don't target that guy who called off stacks on the turn with a gutter and no pair, and just hit it on you. If you can't play according to a strategy, and execute good judgment and discipline, just leave. If you are like most of the other live players sitting at 1/2 tables, losing one hand will just send you off the edge, and you will just torch $$$ with zero shits given, or you will get it in bad, suck out in epic fashion, and suddenly be off tilt. Usually 1/2 players just lose, very very fast when tilted. bankroll decimated.

That's pretty much it. Just stop paying people off. Play tight. Don't tilt. EZ game.

MarcusEraPoker

MarcusEraPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I assume this is live poker. Disregard this entire post if this is online poker.

1. Learn how to fold FFS. If the terrible players you are playing against are check raising you on Q-9-10 two spades, and your hand is Ad-Ah, yeah dude, they just have it. Any signs of aggression from otherwise passive players is 2p+ 90%+ of the time. If you can't beat nuts/near nuts hands, fold, for the love of **** just fold. These fish at 1/2 aren't check raising you with air cause they think you are bluffing. They flopped a monster, and they are terrified of being drawn out on. They are going to do their best to let you know exactly what they have, and allow you to play perfectly and fold.

2. Play tight. Play even tighter in EP. If you are opening Qd-5d at a table full of fish UTG, yeah you are kind of asking for it. You might think "they'll never put me on this hand!", and even consider yourself a wizard (capable of sorcery at will) when you flop Q-Q-5 and chop some poor schumck's head off with A-Q. Wait for good hands. Don't be like the rest of the buffoons limping every hand for 4 hours, and trying to hit that flop. Play tight.

3. Don't tilt. Pretty simple. If you lose a pot, don't go on life tilt and shove every hand for an orbit. Don't target that guy who called off stacks on the turn with a gutter and no pair, and just hit it on you. If you can't play according to a strategy, and execute good judgment and discipline, just leave. If you are like most of the other live players sitting at 1/2 tables, losing one hand will just send you off the edge, and you will just torch $$$ with zero shits given, or you will get it in bad, suck out in epic fashion, and suddenly be off tilt. Usually 1/2 players just lose, very very fast when tilted. Bankroll decimated.

That's pretty much it. Just stop paying people off. Play tight. Don't tilt. EZ game.
Just now reading this. Thanks for the tips. They make alot of sense. Appreciate it 💪

Stuey

Stuey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In your opinion... What are the 3 most important things to remember when playing 1-2 NLH?
Read some books. What 3 things has anything to do with correct playing strategy. It all depends what situation develops at the time of your decision. If you have to make any decision you got to know how the correct way to look at each situation in the first place.

I suspect you have no idea what this game is all about. How come you want to play it for cold cash when you don't even know how to start at a pot let alone how to end it. You are going to be for a big surprise before even starting.

MarcusEraPoker

MarcusEraPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Read some books. What 3 things has anything to do with correct playing strategy. It all depends what situation develops at the time of your decision. If you have to make any decision you got to know how the correct way to look at each situation in the first place.

I suspect you have no idea what this game is all about. How come you want to play it for cold cash when you don't even know how to start at a pot let alone how to end it. You are going to be for a big surprise before even starting.
Been playing for years. You sound crazy. Have a good day. Thanks for the advice 👌
Just now reading this. Thanks for the tips. They make alot of sense. Appreciate it 💪

Stuey

Stuey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Been playing for years. You sound crazy. Have a good day. Thanks for the advice ��
You too, ..., and You welcome

Get some useless books from Amazon or Google to find your miracle strategy that loses less because no matter what you read in those little books it's not gonna make you a winning player out of a losing one. If you still losing after years of playing, well, there's nothing you can do to change that. I have a question for you. What do you do for a living that lets you play a losing game for years?

Last edited:
MarcusEraPoker

MarcusEraPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You too, ..., and You welcome

Get some useless books from Amazon or Google to find your miracle strategy that loses less because no matter what you read in those little books it's not gonna make you a winning player out of a losing one. If you still losing after years of playing, well, there's nothing you can do to change that. I have a question for you. What do you do for a living that lets you play a losing game for years?
Lol im a certified poker trainer and nothing in my original post said anything about losing, books or any miracle strategies. I simply asked a question for feedback. May I ask what you do for a living that makes you so negative all the time? 👂

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I should have read this threat before, now my bankroll is gone ;)

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't limp.

Value bet relentlessly especially against the loose players.

Don't pay off when a tight player makes an uncharacteristically big bet.

Lots of good books out there for beating small stakes NL live games - Ed Miller (in particular) has written a lot of books and articles with better suggestions than mine.

Good luck to you!

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play only the best hands. top 15% basically. Wait for certain spots to get your money in good. When you know your way ahead. One thing I have learned in poker, if you are unsure what the opponent has and your put into that spot where the decision is just too difficult to make. Just fold. Not folding can simply end in disaster...

Poker Tips