When should I make my first deposit? (in poker rooms)

J

jorge tinga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I ask for help to friends to collaborate with my doubts with your opinion about depositing in poker rooms when I should start and how comfortable it would be, it does not have to be cash but buyinns (example: 20, 50, 100). I thank all who help me.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I ask for help to friends to collaborate with my doubts with your opinion about depositing in poker rooms when I should start and how comfortable it would be, it does not have to be cash but buyinns (example: 20, 50, 100). I thank all who help me.

It's really a personal decision and based on how much money you are willing to throw away. Not because I am saying you will lose but you shouldn't be depositing money that you are not willing to lose.

If you understand the concept of "bankroll management" amount of money you have to play poker with, not what you have in your bank account. Ideally you want about 60 - 100 buyins (depending on whom you listen to) for whatever games you play.

If however you are a recreational player you can do what I and a lot of others did at one time which is to set aside a monthly budget for yourself and only replenish it when that month is over. If you are successful you get to keep playing.

I would suggest though to consider playing freerolls or low stakes games to begin with regardless of your financial situation just to get a feel for the site you choose.

That's my perspective anyway I am sure others will have different thoughts on the matter

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you have made enough that you are ready to withdraw...
start with freerolls and then small stakes at whatever game you chose, and if you feel comfortable on the site, and have been winning money, then do it as minimally as possible to open an avenue to get the rest of your money out.
Ideally, do not deposit till you have enough to withdraw.

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Right now would be a good time to deposit on America's Cardroom because the $6m Venom starts later this month and you can freeroll your way into a ticket via the step tournaments. Actually you don't even need to deposit-- both CardsChat and ACR Stormers run daily $100 freerolls so you may never have to deposit at ACR.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you like 888 a small deposit ($10) will get you a bunch of tickets and entry to some good freerolls. I've done pretty good so far and had some cashouts :)

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If you like 888 a small deposit ($10) will get you a bunch of tickets and entry to some good freerolls. I've done pretty good so far and had some cashouts :)

You're right buddy. 888 offers plenty of games and opportunities for new players. Here I made my first deposit when I started playing for real money and it was a pleasant experience. :eek::p

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Start with a small deposit and play on small stakes until you realize the difference between free and buyin games. The best time to submit is the one where you have accumulated some experience in the online game

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

My first deposit to an online poker site was $175 (to Fulltilt) & $150 (to Stars).
My plan was to stick to tournaments $3 & under. Fortunately I won ~$100 in the first $1 mtt I played & never 'needed' to deposit again (but chose to many, many times in order to take advantage of Initial deposit bonuses & many other deposit bonuses along the way).

In my opinion, deposit enough so that you hopefully won't have to deposit again for awhile (if ever). When I made my first deposits, I did so with the intentions of never depositing again. The thinking was "Well if I can make a go of this on a few hundred dollars that'll be all I'm interested in losing". I got lucky at first so things worked out for me... but looking back I was definitely over-estimating my skill level. A few mos. later I discovered I was actually a losing player. Lots of study changed this quickly.

IF I were to do it all over again and was making my first deposit, I think I would go with about the same amount as I did then ($175 for one site... & another $150 or so for a 2nd site).

Check out your first deposit/sign-up bonus options prior to taking the plunge. Years ago there were many to choose from... today very few.

imo, you'll only wish you'd deposited sooner! (that was my feeling)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, its a reasonable approach to start at the play money tables on a real money poker site, until you have learned the very basics like hand ranking, reading boards and a basic TAG strategy. When these things are in place, I recommend to deposit 60-100$ and start at the 2NL cash tables. When you beat these as well, you can decide, if you want to continue with 5NL cash games or move to tournaments and SnGs.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips

You can make a deposit when you have experienced playing freerolls. It is also necessary to make a deposit in order to withdraw the money won in the future. Without a deposit, you will not be allowed to withdraw cash prizes. A deposit, funds in the account will help you participate in micro limits and most importantly in micro satellites, with which you can get to major tournaments.:)

J

jorge tinga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much to everyone who tried to help me now I can make a decision taking into account various opinions. grateful for the help and meeting you in the poker rooms (GL all)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think, its a reasonable approach to start at the play money tables on a real money poker site, until you have learned the very basics like hand ranking, reading boards and a basic TAG strategy. When these things are in place, I recommend to deposit 60-100$ and start at the 2NL cash tables. When you beat these as well, you can decide, if you want to continue with 5NL cash games or move to tournaments and SnGs.

When I first started out I chose to play SNG's & MTT. But back then there were HUNDREDS of SNG's registering.

35marlin

35marlin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Make your Deposit when first and foremost its disposal income and you confident enough to play the stakes you seek, Run good and play better Buddy

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
If you haven't done it already then it's surely is about time ...

There's no point to delay it any further cause that way you probably are never going to deposit (and then wonder why in some places you cant do/get certain things cause you haven't deposited yet) ... ;)