What made you play Poker in the first place?

B

Brogue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I was going to reply to this thread:https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/favourite-book-about-poker-441652/ and it suggested starting a new thread instead.

My story is I am a pro musician who subscribes to a newsletter by a guy named Bob Lefsetz. He recommended the book[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)] "The Biggest Bluff - How I Learned to Pay Attention, Master Myself, and Win"[/COLOR] by Maria Konnikova (Which I also highly endorse btw)

Bob recommended the book as simply containing great life lessons applicable to any field.
I read it in one sitting, was hooked, recalled key 'jigsaw pieces' from my earlier life as a betting shop manager with both Ladbrokes Racing and Eastwoods, competitive chess playing days, an education in psychology, and some mis-spent time as a junior broker... and... those jigsaw pieces connected and 'the penny dropped'....

Now I'm wondering why I never played Poker before! (I do know the reason... as a betting shop mgr in my 20s saw a lot of gambling addiction and serious losses... seeing this side up close and personal from the other side of the counter made me quit the industry).

Currently sticking to micro tournaments as my first baby steps in Poker playing online, I can only lose my stake money; right? (along with my mind... can anyone say 'Tilt'? Grrr :D)

Thoughts?

D:jd4:Brogue

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always heard about poker in movies and series, but I had never had the opportunity to learn and I didn't know anyone who played, so even if I did I wouldn't have anyone to play with...

Watching TV during a commercial I saw a pokerstars promotion, until then I didn't know about online poker, I entered the website, used the promotion code, after a while I signed up at pokerstarsschoolonline to participate in some promotions and started to learn some rules, over time I became interested and seeking more knowledge.