What exactly IS a freeze-out?

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not familiar with that term, and as such, i've avoided those tournements.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's just a 'normal' standard tournament where when you lose all your chips, you're eliminated, no rebuys. name confused me too though, at first...

not to be confused with a 'shootout'

-n

Last edited:
S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
aaaahhhh thanks for the quick reply.

Kj Sexton

Kj Sexton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker below 32 degrees farenheit.

Dennis C

Dennis C

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another smart ass answer: Poker where you freeze your hoo haas off.:)

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Actually, if I'm looking for tourney play, this is the type I want. Re-buy tourneys are almost as bad as freerolls as far as quality of play and maniacal style during the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the game.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i completely agree
i hate rebuys because most people play with their first 3 or 4 buy-ins like they don't even care
then again if you take advantage of the maniacs, you can get ahead early pretty easily
which i never seem to be able to do which brings me back to why i hate 'em so much :D
people in freezouts generally value their buy-in much more highly and thus you get a better poker game

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just to throw in my two cents, though it is slightly off topic. I don't like rebuy tournies either, though i've never minded them as satalites, and pokerstars does one rebuy, one add on tournies occasionally, where you can only rebuy once, that aren't so bad, and i actually kind of like.

-n

Kj Sexton

Kj Sexton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1.00 rebuys are a nightmare....
I'll never partake in them again... increase the dollar amount to $5.00 or so, its usually not so bad.

I had a guy right after me in position rebuy 28 times before he gave up.' The first in the money spot was $5.00 and I tried telling him that, but people just don't make a lick of sense.'

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freezeouts are the way to go if you want to play in poker tournaments. I hate rebuys. As I said before, rebuys are like mulligans. With freezeouts, once you out, you're out!

lightning36

lightning36

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I once played in a rebuy tournament on PokerHost and saw someone spend over $100 in rebuys. He totally ruined the tournament for me. Made huge raises every hand so there was not even the thought of getting in a hand unless you had one of the top premium hands.

Freezeouts make sure that everyone plays their best every hand.

Count DeMoney

Count DeMoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won my first tournament years ago. It was a rebuy tournament and every player but one rebought AND added on. One player did neither.

He won the tournament!

gjshand

gjshand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Our local does a "Double Chance Freeze Out" when it does it's festivals.

Great format for a tourney, you pay your entry (This one is normally the BIG one, either £500 or £1000 ) and when you sit down you receive only half your chips.

At anytime during the first period you can call on your remaining chips, some choice to take them before the first hand some use it as a buffer in case they end up all-in ad lose (Lets face it, if you got AA first hand and went all-in against a pair of kings and the King comes on the flop you would be slightly miffed at losing £1000 in one hand!)

If you have'nt taken your chips after the hour they are automatically delivered to you.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rebuys are the way to go. If you are a player of any caliber, (and from here you should be),making past the first hour without rebuys is a piece of cake. What makes them great are the players who kept on rebuying increased the pot for you and are among the first to go out after the rebuy session is over.

S

shwingzilla

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gjshand said:
Our local does a "Double Chance Freeze Out" when it does it's festivals.

Great format for a tourney, you pay your entry (This one is normally the BIG one, either £500 or £1000 ) and when you sit down you receive only half your chips.

At anytime during the first period you can call on your remaining chips, some choice to take them before the first hand some use it as a buffer in case they end up all-in ad lose (Lets face it, if you got AA first hand and went all-in against a pair of kings and the King comes on the flop you would be slightly miffed at losing £1000 in one hand!)

If you have'nt taken your chips after the hour they are automatically delivered to you.

I guess I could see holding off on the chips, but you're putting yourself at a disadvantage so you can play safer. Not exactly in the spirit of poker.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bubbasbestbabe said:
Rebuys are the way to go. If you are a player of any caliber, (and from here you should be),making past the first hour without rebuys is a piece of cake. What makes them great are the players who kept on rebuying increased the pot for you and are among the first to go out after the rebuy session is over.
Yep, what she said. A player that re-buys 10 times is equivalent to 10 players in a freezeout. Who would you rather be up against after the initial re-buy period is over? If you hit a hand early, you'll be on a table with 4-5000 chips, and will love it when billy no-clue re-buys for the 10th time and gets 1,000 chips. Also in the last hands before the first break, shortstacked players are LITERALLY giving chips away - they want to lose their 300 chips, so they can re-buy with 1,000 (and add-on to 2,000!).

JeeDub84

JeeDub84

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that those of you that have replied and talked bad of the rebuy tournys dont get the strategic point of rebuys. If you are going to play a rebuy tourny in the first place then you must be willing to rebuy at least several times and add on at the break no matter what. The point is to build a stack of chips large enough to be very comfortable with and give you an advantage after the add on period. I have used this strategy many times and it has done well for me and many other regulars i play against. I didnt like rebuy tournys at first either but now i love them .