Is this weird?

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I have been playing on this poker site and have met a few friends. This one friend in particular I met at a hu cash table. Now every time I search this player he/she is full stacked at 5 ring tables hu cash(50-1, 1-2, 2-4) Just sitting out. Everyday now for the past 3 months This person stacks fully and just sits out. I've seen people sit down on numerous occasions with 400$ and no challenge. My question to you is What is this about? Are they working for the site? I know its not a bot bc i talked to him/her. Or am I just bored with nothing better to do?

W

Weissr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he could be data mining possibly.

SANDYHOOKER KY

SANDYHOOKER KY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of times these players have certain people they like to play with. And others are waiting for a bite from a "fish", who doesn't know what he's getting into.

R

RickH1983

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you notice there will be other players in the same limits doing the same thing. They are looking for fish to play them and stack off. Notice that they could easily play someone that is sitting in the same limits with the same stack but they dont. If they played each other chances are they would just lose money on the rake and no one would win a significant amount of cash.

LongJohn45

LongJohn45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds pretty weird to me. And the suggestions by others that these guys are fishing sounds fishy to me. I'm not a big time poker player, but it seems to me, it would take a lot of time and energy to sit and wait for fish to come. First, it would be difficult enough to identify the fish and keep track of them.

And in poker, nothing is guaranteed. If these guys were truly good poker players, they wouldn't waste time looking for a "fish", they would try their luck with the regular players. Even the best players occasionally make mistakes or you could just get lucky. It's worth trying, assuming your confident enough. And you never really know who the "fish" are anyway. Also, time is precious and not worth wasting time looking for fish who may or may not be fish anyway.

No, if I had to guess, I think this sounds more like a guy who is afraid to get his feet wet. He is probably so nervous about losing money that the best he can do is just sit at the table and watch. Its kind of like standing at the edge of a diving board and not having the courage to jump. That's what I think.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sounds pretty weird to me. And the suggestions by others that these guys are fishing sounds fishy to me. I'm not a big time poker player, but it seems to me, it would take a lot of time and energy to sit and wait for fish to come. First, it would be difficult enough to identify the fish and keep track of them.

And in poker, nothing is guaranteed. If these guys were truly good poker players, they wouldn't waste time looking for a "fish", they would try their luck with the regular players. Even the best players occasionally make mistakes or you could just get lucky. It's worth trying, assuming your confident enough. And you never really know who the "fish" are anyway. Also, time is precious and not worth wasting time looking for fish who may or may not be fish anyway.

No, if I had to guess, I think this sounds more like a guy who is afraid to get his feet wet. He is probably so nervous about losing money that the best he can do is just sit at the table and watch. Its kind of like standing at the edge of a diving board and not having the courage to jump. That's what I think.

^^^ignore
why would regs want to play regs?, don't most people want to play with someone below their skill level? regs know each other too, they spend 8+hrs a day together.
there is also websites to check peoples stats- easy to know when someone is playing out of their skill level (you ever went to sharkscope.com?)

sure fish will win some too-its a given…but in the long run, they leave broke!!
this is def. not a guy afraid to play lol
p.s. they are headsup tbls- he's not watching nobody

just a grinder grinding

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol good point. But 3 months waiting for the right person to play?

R

RickH1983

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I would agree to ignore this. The people that do this are excellent poker players. They do this to sift through all the bs. They dont want to have to play a full ring game and get run down by a bunch of other players. Heads up isnt easy but if you play enough and are good enough it can be very profitable. Most high stakes players play hu to make money.

W

Weissr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't think anyone can data mine on a HU cash table while sitting out... there is no data to mine....

Sry, misread the OP... Thought it said "he/she is full stacked at 5 ring table..." missed the hu part. oups