dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
well, just like title said, 2 days ago my PS account got hacked and they tried to withdraw money to some guy skrill account muxxy @ abv.bg
I canceled transaction in matter of few hrs after that, really glad I saw it on time, and contacted PS dept after which they froze my account.
They explained that it's not their foul, it has to be something on my end, which is not truth.
I changed my PS PW right away, but for security measurement they froze my account and I had to do some steps to re-enable my account, for which I comply.
But, what bothers me, I start reading about those security issues at PS, and since 2015 they had a bunch of hacked accounts, even from the pro's.
They always blame us, and they do not accept any responsibilities to admit they have some issue with lack of security on their end.

Take a look at the email I've got:

Thank you for your email.

Your account has been frozen as we have determined it was accessed from a foreign location without your knowledge. We have conducted a full investigation into your account and we believe that your password may have been compromised.

Our facts to support this are as follows:

The logins to your account show no failed attempts; whoever accessed your account knew your password perfectly.

Computer finger printing technology is utilized by our Security Team in order to determine which computer your account was accessed from. In this case, our investigation concludes that your account was accessed from a foreign computer in Poland where no logins were previously detected from. It is therefore possible that your password has been compromised.

With regards to the bankroll in your account, fortunately there was no loss as you canceled the fraudulent cashout attempt.

In order to reinstate your account with a new password and PIN, we would like to ask you to please:

1. Scan / reformat your computer and remove any virus or malwares detected

2. Change the password on your e-mail account.

3. Confirm that you have taken these steps.

4. Provide us with a clear digital photo of you holding your ID document (please make sure your equipment is clean from keyloggers before sending, to avoid compromising). Please make sure that your full name, date of birth and the expiry date of the document are clearly readable.

You can send this to security@starsaccount.eu

Finally, you may wish to visit the following link which offers suggestions on keeping your password secure and details about additional security features:

http://www.pokerstars.eu/poker/room/features/security/passwords/
http://www.pokerstars.eu/poker/room/features/security/token/

Your cooperation is appreciated.

Regards,

Antonino
Stars Security

just like the rest of the guys on the net, with same issue.

Let see how it will re-enable my account in next few days, so I can play again on the Stars, and get my money :)

Just a reminder to the rest of you out there, if you didn't secure your PS account, do so , unless you want to be in the same boat and have your account hacked.

Stay safe and secure.

Dino

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Have you used any programs like teamviewer or anydesk? I had a problem with software on a phone that that I bought on ebay and could not fix and I paid someone to repair it remotely through anydesk which gave them access to my entire computer while they were doing the repair. Fortunately I had an old PC which I wiped and fresh installed Windows for the specific purpose of letting them do their work, so there was zero information they could get while doing the work on the phone. I think pokerstars is most likely correct. There are so many ways to compromise computers with malware and then there are programs like teamviewer and anydesk which people use and voluntarily give access to "friends" family or anyone that needs access to their computer. I remember back in the day someone created a perfect copy of the Fulltilt poker site login page then went around cash game and tournaments in the chat box with a convincing spoof of the fulltilt moderator screen name telling people they had won some type of fulltilt promo and posted the link to the fake fulltilt logon page and boom they had many many screen names and passwords before being shut down. So you really have to be very careful on many fronts to keep your information safe.

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
@ smallfrie,
I am IT Consultant, have bin working my whole life in IT, and I know my way around.
I use to build PC's when they were x286 time, and from Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum time....
I am using Teamviewer on a daily basis to support various customer and family members, and have bin using VNC on linux.
But, my Teamviewer ist always off, if I don't use, that means it's not running, not even a host :).
I am not saying that it's impossible to install some kind of "keylogger" on my laptop, but it's really hard to do this without my knowledge.
But, according to PS, and looking from the IP from that "hacker" it was only hit on PS software, so my other accounts were not compromised or affected at all.
Not one from my email account got hit or tried to log in from anywhere.
I am scanning every few days with malwarebytes, spyboot s&d, antivirus, etc...
I really think that was some lack of security on PS site.

wildyetty

wildyetty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@ smallfrie,
I am IT Consultant, have bin working my whole life in IT, and I know my way around.
I use to build PC's when they were x286 time, and from Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum time....
I am using Teamviewer on a daily basis to support various customer and family members, and have bin using VNC on Linux.
But, my Teamviewer ist always off, if I don't use, that means it's not running, not even a host :).
I am not saying that it's impossible to install some kind of "keylogger" on my laptop, but it's really hard to do this without my knowledge.
But, according to PS, and looking from the IP from that "hacker" it was only hit on PS software, so my other accounts were not compromised or affected at all.
Not one from my email account got hit or tried to log in from anywhere.
I am scanning every few days with malwarebytes, spyboot s&d, antivirus, etc...
I really think that was some lack of security on PS site.

Than you also know the weakest link between the PS servers is the clients PC... I find PS response pretty normal. I am sure they run constant intrusion detection, and routine firewall maintenance on their end.

If the get a large number of affected accounts over a couple days I would think it is on their end, not 1 every couple weeks or so.

You should be using 2-step authentication and check your PC for any forms of malware/ keyloggers... PC tech or not your system more vulnerable than theirs.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I hope the problem has been solved by now and everything is fine .
I think there are more security measures than the password , like the sms they send you everytime you log from a different pc ,use it , etc .(this-sms I use , the others I don't like/use , the questions authentication , whatever how is called for ex , cause I forget many times the names I write :) , etc ) .

To make a withdrawal request through skrill he must have made first a deposit to your min account , has he :D

I wish it were easy to find and sue this scammer :)

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
yeah, the problem is solved, I've got back to my account.
They updated my info, took some actions against that guy, I also contacted skrill and let them know about it.
I did forward my email from PokerStar to them, just to let them know.
They replied to me in timely manner, and they report they took appropriate action against that account.
I already changed security settings on PS account.
I've got now with SMS and PIN, and did setup security question to.