Playing small pocket pairs

B

BlackJacki2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you play small pocket pairs with a full table? There are so many people at the table that it is likely to lose unless you can make everyone fold pre-flop. I don't like to bet that much of my stack when there are a lot of overs and a lot of better hands that can beat me. I usually try to limp in and hope I get trips on the flop, which is an awesome hand

B

Blazed Zao

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
play this based off of your position and the bets of others... i mean, its just like any other hand. You have to have prime position.

J

justinroyal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
LOW POCKET PAIR CAN BE DANGEROUS,DO U CALL A ALLINNER BET WITH THEM MOST OF THE TIME U WANT TO BUT ITS NOT REALLY A GOOD IDEA FOR IF U GOT 44 ALMOST EVERY CARD IN THE DECK BEATS U, SO A SMALL RAISE IS WHAT I LIKE TO DO BUT NOT OVER DO IT UNLESS UR SHORT STACK AND THE BLINDS R CREAMING U THEN I WOULD HAVE TO PUSH IT ALL THE WAY

T

ThECreWKiLLa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way i play it is limping in and calling any decent raise nothing to big though. If you don't hit anything fold, but when you do hit your going to get paid off.

S

smtbonzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am of thw same school of thought as Jacki on this one. I have better luck with low pockets than pair aces.

P

pipedreamz76

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play small pairs the same as any. depends on the flop and how other players react to it.

M

mattj170

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, i would hve to agree you might try just limping in or raise a little bit to have people playing the blinds fold. But if everyone is betting big and being agressive you might want to fold. It all comes down on how much you want to gamble and how much you are willing to pay to see if you flopp trips.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look at at small pairs as drawing hands, they usually need help to win. You actually want alot of players in the pot. Not a hand to play aggressively prefop, call most raises except when the pot size just doesn't justify it and if the flop is bad fold em. You will almost always get paid off when your set hits because your opponent almost never sees it coming.

Z

Zubris

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah i usuallly play small pocket pairs if there is not big raiser on table.. then i see flop and if i hit my set then i bet if not.. then i try to see trun cheap or fold if some1 makes big raise

sorcerer_

sorcerer_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
although in a tournament in the beginning I call whatever the hand (might get lucky, you know ...) if the pot isn't too large ... when the stake go higher I usully fold em .. unless I find my opponents receptive to bluff ;)

Z

Zubris

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wrong wrong wrong.... in begining of tour you want to play as tight as possible.. you don't wanna test ur luck.. but later when you have more money.. you can play more hands

B

bgdg0606

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
on the button with no other callers raise and try to pick up the blinds.
out of position with outher callers limp in then if u hit the flop bet it out if u mis the flop and other people bet then u have to fold

D

dirty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
low pocket pairs, I always limp. Medium pairs, I will play heads up all in, but not against more than 1 person. j's or higher I am more willing to play against multiple people for a big pot.

K

khanh05

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket 2-8 alway limp in the cheapest as possible and just call for only small bet just fold when bet are high
but u should play agressive with 9-A But sometime u think u are beat just lay it down b4 u get stuck in to it.. good luck with that strategy

D

davidian

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if i have around 1000 $ and i get a small pocket pair i usally raise 300-400 just to get most people out so they cant make a hand.. Then there is maybe 1 -2 other players left and not a full table

Y

Yao

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, small pairs are hard to play with. That's the kind of hands I have difficulty with

Poker Jill

Poker Jill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ThECreWKiLLa said:
The way i play it is limping in and calling any decent raise nothing to big though. If you don't hit anything fold, but when you do hit your going to get paid off.
This sounds like a good motto! But I think you should raise at times to test your opponents, nothing to big, but sometimes you have to pay to see what kind of players you are up against. It might be a stupid call at times, but when you need to know what he/she has, you will :cool:!!

O

opops

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a pocker pair say 6 to 2 it depends on your position. Always raise them on the button or on a blind, and if your stuck in a bad place..just place out your call.

Its awesome when you quad up 2's though!!

A

aaron438

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love playing pocket small pairs or even two cards that are small and not a pair sometinmes you get lucky and one or two of your cards pop up. even with bad cards i always like to see the flop

A

aaron438

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
allthough sometimes it dosent work out and you end up getting out out lik i just did a minute ago . :p

T

troyt2006

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually try to limp in and hit trips too, but I usually dont hold on to them for long, I think that is a problem with a lot of players, they dont know when to let go of their pair and they dont want to be seperated from them.

S

sportsak12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to play small pocket pairs when im either in the big blind, small blinds or when no one raises the blinds and also for tournments when they blinds are still on like level 1 or 2

N

newf01

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
depends, sometimes it feels good to sneak in with 22 and end up hitting one on the flop, noone usually expects them

D

digihhhballz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

i think it's best to raise before the flop and see if anyone has possible higher pocket pair or a really good hand to face your 22, 33, 44 so on....

flop is the biggest money maker for low pockets...hopefully someone came in with a high card and got it on the flop and tries to raise you out/or you to call it...you have the upper hand and can make a pretty hefty raise...and you don't have to worry about them hitting their 3 of a kind with a K or Ace....cuz you'd have the full so it's pretty safe....otherwise you can just raise small or medium raises depending on your opponent and how much YOU think they'd call...sucker em in....make them re-raise you...just gotta take it easy sometimes cuz they might make their 2 pair and get turned/rivered a higher full....happens...heh

...just my thoughts.

Digi

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I LIMP with anything from 10-10 to 2-2. If one overcard hits the flop, you could be beat. You can't really call big re-raises preflop with very low pocket pairs. Also, you must remember that there aer only two other cards in the deck that will give you a set, not the greatest odds... I like when players play low pocket pairs against me and keep betting, especially when i have hit my pairs with overcards. Most of the time, I throw my low pockets (55-22) away if there is a raise in front of me preflop. If players push all in preflop, I'm only calling with AA to 10-10. And only with 10-10 and JJ if I have a much larger stack.