Online Bot Situation with BOL

T

TheBigZazoo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone, I'm a new member to CardsChat. I've been reading some posts and found much info and many opinions on different online sites to play at. I, just today, had a situation happen in a 6 way ring game on BOL and wanted to post this to ask for input from the community .......

Here's the setting:

The game is $.01/.02 6-max cash and I'm the button. Pre-flop comes to me after the hijack raises 3x to $.06. I have AKs hearts and 3-bet to $.18. Hijack and Cutoff both call. Flop is 10,2,A all clubs.... Hijack bets $.18 , cutoff folds, I raise to $.88 all in and am insta-called by hijack.

Sounds ok so far, huh? Well how about this.....

Hijack turns over 6 9s spades......... WTF?!?!? And of course what happened next, you ask?

Turn and river....... 6 9o heart/diamond........ and I'm busted out.

Now maybe I'm paranoid, but the way it played out, the speed with which the raises and calls were performed, and the absolute lunacy of the hijacks actions.....well, lunacy if you didn't already know or were able to pick the turn and river that is..... and the fact that this "player" never spoke nor responded to being spoken to...... all lead me to the insidious conspiracy theory of "Bots In online poker "(dah daahn daaaah)

There of course are othe things like names of "players" like CCVX50M and such and when you search Find Player it shows them in all kinds of rooms playing many different games presumably at the same time....

So, community, I'm the new guy here and rather new to online poker.....I've played the play money areas for a while and years ago (way before Black Friday) I had a full tilt acct and lost my couple hundred to the cause. I'm not new to poker, though. I enjoy home games in my area, but as far as online I am new and learning.

The questions are...... 1) What are your experiences with this? 2) Does anyone think this ok ? If so, why? 3) What can be / is being done about it ? If anything and 4) Are there strategies someone has come up with when playing against a bot online ?

I was just thinking that on my next session I may, before sitting in, text everyone at the table asking them to respond to me and explaining that if everyone at table does this we can tell which the bot is if one is present. This pre-supposes that bots won't read and respond to text messages at the table.

Anyway, your thoughts on this are appreciated.

EL Zazoo Grande :cool:

U

UberPokerFan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no explanation for play like that but I've run into people who play similarly. I think they are adrenaline junkies. But I don't think bots would be playing .01/.02 tables. The players on those tables are not much better players than freerollers.

I doubt you'll get everyone to talk; so many people play multiple tables they can't or don't chat.

I'm not sure there are bots, but there is no way to prove it one way or the other.

T

TheBigZazoo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the input, Urban.....

After much playing and watching, I agree with you.... but its crazy how many times now I've been sucked out on rivers by people calling me all in with crap hands..... I mean calls with 57o, 83o, J6o, 64s, 72s, 72o, 89o, 10 3s,...etc

All those hands I listed were calls of All In where I was beaten by flops, suck outs, and 4 card flushes.... all of them in last couple days in freerolls and cheap buty in tourneys.... After getting upset at the frequency and tilting a bit, I've come to the conclusion that in these cheap games people just don't care and have decided to gamble rather than play poker...... it's frustrating and takes all the fun out, but since I'm short on money right now, I'm stuck to trying to build up a bankroll from the bottom....

If you, or anyone who reads this, has any suggestions on how to play tourneys against these types of All In Hacks, aside from trapping (which I try to do) with the caveat that I'm apparently under the bell curve and rarely see a hand better than A6o ( which happens to be the best hand I've had in the last 2 days)

Thanks in advance for anty thoughts or help ...

Zazoo XL

elitenuts

elitenuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds to me like a typical micro game online - People love them suited hands no matter how ugly they are... As far as a "bot" go's, usually, they are programmed to fold in that scenario...

Sevendeuceoff72

Sevendeuceoff72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That ain't no bot...that's ACR. Once ur all in and it's out of your hands...amazing what happens

Susan0514

Susan0514

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been called one before but didn't really know they operated in FR and penny games.

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds to me like a typical micro game online.
Typical really???

Wow I don't play on the right sites.

I would understand allin pre with 96s but seeing a flop like that and calling an allin with air is a good way to lose a ton of money in the long run.

T

TheBigZazoo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for all the replies, I'm pretty new to the whole writing in forums thing. Not saying I've never done it, but it was rare and this so far is the longest running thread started and continued. It feels nice to be read and responded to, so again, Thank You.

So let's keep going, here is an update and maybe a question or two I'm now pondering....

I have recently been playing Nitrogen (more and more over last month). I am a fan of The Poker Guys and they offer a FR every Sunday for a rather decent 100 mBTC paid to the top 10 - 20 (depending on entries I think)... Now I know ACR has a wider range of FR tourneys, but Nitro is a smaller (newer) site with fewer players and schools fish so odds feel better and tourneys seem to be able to be completed quicker....

That being said, however, in their normal hourly FRs, they only pay first place and this is where my contention resides.

I am currently on tilt, because I have never finished first place and have finished second and third approximately 12 times in the last couple weeks. This relates to the bots/rigged topic in that throughout each of these games I have noticed that right as the tables have been whittled down to one and on that table the players have been whittled down to 3 ( well really I get the sense of it starting around 5 left ), there is a complete deadening of the cards for me specifically.

Now, I have been learning poker and studying vids/reading books/writing in forums :)D) etc... and I have built myself up from early knock outs, mid tourney busts, and being the bubble boy that everyone applauds as I frustratingly type "gg" and "gl everyone" into the chat box, close the client and verbally berate myself for the stupid "ALL IN" shove when I know that only someone with better will call all others fold.... do some deep breathing, zen meditation, type a book into a forum (and then erase it), and finally sign back in and try again.....And I have improved enough to now be final tabling these FRs only to feel like something strange starts to happen in the aforementioned spots.

Could it be tilt? Could it be that I'm getting too excited about being that close, that I start to make bad decisions on starting hands, or bad bluffs, or stupid calls as I chase after a draw that never comes costing me stacks, or even the seemingly inescapable inexcusable nincompoopian "All In" on the river when not holding the absolute "Nutz"....... could it be any of those, or maybe I'm not considering those before typing this.... not only might I not be considering, but might I also not be trying to correct any of those ( or the myrad of other leaks possible) ??????

Or could it be that right as that stage of the tourney occurs ( starting around 5 players left, but 100% full on at 3 left ).... that some 1's and 0's start blipping around telling the RNG dealer to give me crappola most of the time and then occasionally shoot out the K 10 suited (which is generally how it has happened, the other combo is A X s (where x </= 10 ) ) .... those being the best cards seen and I've been blinded down to a less than 4 bb stack.....

It has happened this way all 12 or so times, the last one of which was right before the first words of this booklet were typed in..... today it's the fourth time throughout the course of the whole day and was what's referred to as the final
straw......

If you made it this far down the page, thank you for your time.....
If you have experienced something along these lines, please respond.... It would help me feel less alone ( I know I'm not, but it's still nice to read)....

Oh, this is not only on Nitrogen, btw..... this has occurred to me on ACR and BOL.... Nitrogen is just the one that only pays first place, so the anger at all the time spent getting to the final table and finishing 2nd (or sometimes 3rd) and the feeling of that change in cards...... that is what really burnt me up enough
to write this novel....

Thank you for your patience and time in reading all this, again...
Look forward to any input that this forum may have....

TheBigZazoo....

J

John Bor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hahahaha
I had something similar and I lost

L

lexi7503

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i see a lot of strange things on all of the sites that make me question how legit things really are

T

TheBigZazoo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok an update.....

I FINALLY WON !!!!

Whew.... sorry for caps, just so relieved and excited.... man oh man...

BUT..... ( dahn dahn daaaaaahhhhh)

I did notice that right at the moment the 5th place villain was knocked out, I went card dead for an extremely long time in comparison to the rest of the game..... very similar to how it's happened every time in the past.

So here's the difference, how I won this time.....

Throughout the game, I waffled between 1st and 3rd in chip stacks. There was one villain for whom I was his nemesis. He could not for the life of him get a good read on me. When I bluffed he thought I had the nutz, when I had the nutz he thought for sure I was bluffing this time. Boy oh boy did he get mad and used the chat box to let me know that....
There was one hand where his betting and the card sequence lead me to believe he was bluffing ( I even exclaimed out loud to my dogs that I didn't believe he had the 5 ) where a 5 would have given him the wheel straight...... And after calling his large river bet and losing, I very graciously typed a complimentary message to him on the fact that he played that very well.... no more dirty messages from him for the rest of the game... [emoji16]

Back to it.... so I went card dead right as 5th was knocked out and folded right up until 3rd place was knocked out by the nemesis putting us heads up. And as if out of dream sequence in the movies, I was first dealt AJo which after a couple raises he put me all in, I call ... I win.... this puts me chip leader.
Then the cards come 10 10.... he is tilted... he calls me all in.....and....

I WIN!! Lol... first one ever on this site...
but I hope you still see the odd card deadness right around 5 players left.... and orhers don't seem to be experiencing it due to how they are playing compared to the rest of the game......

But I'm too happy to complain, just pointing out the oddity....

Let me know if you have had similar experiences on any sites....

Good luck to you..

TheBigZazoo

M

McDrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great for you to finally win. I do not believe that pokers sites are rigged or swarming with bots. I think what you have experienced is just the way a lot of people play at micro stakes. If you feel the site is rigged (which I personally do not) then, move away from it, look for a site with more poker players than roulette players 😎😎😎, once you found it try to build your bankroll there.

T

TheBigZazoo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you McDrix....

I agree with you when directing all the data through the logical side of my brain. In fact there are several good reasons that give weight to your opinion.

1) The work it would take to pull off such a scam compared to the ease of the completely fair and agreed with rake that sites already charge makes rigging and bots rather silly.
2) The loss and humiliation that the company and its board would suffer once caught make doing that a ludicrous option.
3) Variance, especially when applied to poker, creates situations that sometimes feel so wrong that the emotions of tilt and any little bit of narcissism that one may possess make the idea of "It has to be rigged, there's no way this could happen to me legitimately. It's either rigged or there are bots or paid players who control the cards. " seem like the only possibility. Nobody likes to lose.

Now the creative side of my brain ( the side that enjoys all those conspiracy theories on YouTube ) likes to take the info and incorporate all the news stories of corporate crime, the memory of Black Friday, the guy (forgot name) who ran a site and got IT to let him see the cards and won many millions under a fake account before getting caught, and any other vids on the tube about bots online and mix it all together.
Then all it takes is a good bout of tilt and Wallah you have a CardsChat topic.

Talking ( or typing ) about all this has helped me and so have all the responses given. So again I thank you McDrix and all others who have taken the time to speak up. I believe that others are also helped by this information exchange.

Good luck to all in your poker adventures and please keep sharing.... it helps to us all.

TheBigZazoo

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone, I'm a new member to CardsChat. I've been reading some posts and found much info and many opinions on different online sites to play at. I, just today, had a situation happen in a 6 way ring game on BOL and wanted to post this to ask for input from the community .......

Here's the setting:

The game is $.01/.02 6-max cash and I'm the button. Pre-flop comes to me after the hijack raises 3x to $.06. I have AKs hearts and 3-bet to $.18. Hijack and Cutoff both call. Flop is 10,2,A all clubs.... Hijack bets $.18 , cutoff folds, I raise to $.88 all in and am insta-called by hijack.

Sounds ok so far, huh? Well how about this.....

Hijack turns over 6 9s spades......... WTF?!?!? And of course what happened next, you ask?

Turn and river....... 6 9o heart/diamond........ and I'm busted out.

Now maybe I'm paranoid, but the way it played out, the speed with which the raises and calls were performed, and the absolute lunacy of the hijacks actions.....well, lunacy if you didn't already know or were able to pick the turn and river that is..... and the fact that this "player" never spoke nor responded to being spoken to...... all lead me to the insidious conspiracy theory of "Bots In Online Poker "(dah daahn daaaah)

There of course are othe things like names of "players" like CCVX50M and such and when you search Find Player it shows them in all kinds of rooms playing many different games presumably at the same time....

So, community, I'm the new guy here and rather new to online poker.....I've played the play money areas for a while and years ago (way before Black Friday) I had a full tilt acct and lost my couple hundred to the cause. I'm not new to poker, though. I enjoy home games in my area, but as far as online I am new and learning.

The questions are...... 1) What are your experiences with this? 2) Does anyone think this ok ? If so, why? 3) What can be / is being done about it ? If anything and 4) Are there strategies someone has come up with when playing against a bot online ?

I was just thinking that on my next session I may, before sitting in, text everyone at the table asking them to respond to me and explaining that if everyone at table does this we can tell which the bot is if one is present. This pre-supposes that bots won't read and respond to text messages at the table.

Anyway, your thoughts on this are appreciated.

EL Zazoo Grande :cool:

definitely paranoid!!!!
just sounds like some random fish that I see everyday.
The real question is, why are you playing a short stack in cash games??
No one will take your betting serious and you are basically a LAND MINE. you have no fold equity

J

Jmckay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with both of you. Ive definitely seen some bot action on hands they had no business being in following all the way to river with nothing and some how hitting exact card or cards on turn and river to 1up ya. Ive seen fish/donkey/bingo players that do chat and talk do the same thing so i just throw my hands up & say fuc it

T

tysfm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this paranoia and saying things are rigged are super-common. i see it every day. i believe people pick up on the 'meme' through others and then repeat it throughout their bad beats, or just being bad.