Lock Poker Acquiring The Cake Network, Leaving Merge

Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
http://www.gambling911.com/poker/wo...uiring-cake-network-leaving-merge-050612.html

World Exclusive: Lock Poker Acquiring The Cake Network, Leaving Merge

Gambling911.com has learned exclusively from a very reliable source that Lock Poker, one of the largest rooms on the Internet, will be taking over the Cake Poker Network.

Lock, which is widely believed to be one of the top three largest rooms on the Merge Network, will be leaving that network to take control of Cake.

It was explained that as part of the deal, Cake and its current marquee brand, intertops Poker, are believed to be continuing to operate as separate rooms and there are no plans to integrate them.

According to Gambling911.com sources familiar with the deal, Lock will be re-branding the network, driving technology, marketing, player rewards, implementing a more aggressive tournament schedule and incorporating a new company philosophy, essentially restructuring the entire Cake Poker Network.

Our sources also advise that the popular rakeback program previously offered by Lock Poker will be returning with an even higher percentage rate, though few other specifics were given.

Our source also advised that the Lock Pros will remain a pivotal feature of the network with others likely to come on board during the summer. Lock Poker recently signed on the first ever world series of poker Europe Main Event winner, Annette Obrestad.

It was not immediately known if or when the LockOPs Lock Poker Series will be reintroduced after abruptly being cancelled by the Merge Gaming Network late last month, though our source indicates this Series could be re-introduced over the coming months.

Series 2012 qualifiers and the Turbo Gold cards currently offered on Cake are expected to continue.

As Lock has their own stand-alone cashier, the move is expected to have no impact on players.

- Chris Costigan, Gambling911.com Publisher
Submitted by C Costigan on Sun, 05/06/2012 - 12:32

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If true, and I believe nothing I read on the linked site above, it will totally suck. Cake's software is shit.

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Supposedly confirmed by Fonzi.

Lock Poker to Buy the Cake Poker Network
By Fonzi on May 06, 2012

Lock Poker has reached an agreement to purchase the Cake Poker Network. Lock Poker had their much anticipated LockOP’s Series abruptly cancelled by the Merge Poker Network last month and appear to have decided to have more control over their future by leaving the mismanaged Merge Poker Network. Gambling911.com first reported this news and we have also confirmed it with our sources.

As of now the Cake Poker Room as well as several other skins will continue to operate and will not be integrated into Lock Poker. Lock Poker has exploded in popularity since Black Friday and is believed to be the biggest earner on the Merge Network.

Sources have also said that the whole Cake Poker Network will be revamped with new technology like being Mac compatible, better player rewards, upgraded software, bigger tournament guarantees and more.

As a player, there is nothing for you need to do. Once software changes are ready, Lock Poker players will login and be redirected to a new download. That’s it. Cake Poker players, it business as usual for you with one exception. Lock Poker already has it’s own cashier, which will be integrated into the software. All 2012 Series games will continue as well as gold cards and other loyalty programs.

This will be the second time that Lock Poker is on the Cake Network. Only this time they will have total control over everything. We’ll keep you posted as we learn more about this deal.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I'm not crazy about this either. Lock is my primary site where the bulk of my bankroll is at, since it's the Merge skin where I have rakeback. So either I move to Cake to keep RB and suffer their crappy software and even worse payout hassles (although it seems Lock may continue using their own cashier), or I lose RB and move over to another skin like BCP. Since I play so little volume these days I guess the RB won't be a huge loss for me, but I'll hate to see Lock go.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol here a Merge hater, so I don't mind. Don't like Merge Vip shit, bad promo's and many lucky Americans in MTT's who just seems to get lucky over and over again. <----- No and they aren't that good. BTW payouts at all Cake skins are much faster that merge skins for Europeans.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably because I am able to cash more often at Cake :D

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PURE RUMOR THOUGHT UP AND STARTED BY ME, HERE, NOW !:D

Lock acquires the FT software from Stars for $400 million after Stars secures the Rush patent.

H

Hustlin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On another forum, a higher up employee of Lock didn't deny it.

H

Hustlin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
cake + lock = Revolution Gaming Network = 6/1/12

Last edited:
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah pretty sure it's true now. I'll be withdrawing all funds and finding another Merge skin I suppose.

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If true, and I believe nothing I read on the linked site above, it will totally suck. Cake's software is shit.
C'mon, isn't it obvious that Lock is going to change the software. Revolution Gaming Network has a nice ring to it. Also it no longer a rumor, check out poker news Boy

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just submitted withdrawal request.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm going to at least wait and see what they offer, now that they've confirmed they will continue to run their own cashier (which has been better than both Merge and Cake for US withdrawals). But if they don't show me something on the software side damn soon, I'll bolt too.

Demonomania

Demonomania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was explained that as part of the deal, Cake and its current marquee brand, Intertops Poker, are believed to be continuing to operate as separate rooms and there are no plans to integrate them.

God, I hope they at least integrate the freaking software & payouts. That would be a huge upgrade Cake has been needing for a long time.

This is pretty much a pile of BS for the folks using Lock/Merge as their main room. Does anyone know reasons as to why they are making the move?

B

buster999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lock has there own cashier and is going to take over cakes cashier. so lock should still have the fastest payouts but, i'm not playing on cake until they improve there software.

Mentor

Mentor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahhh geez. I have a bunch of accounts across the Cake network. I hope there isn't too much trouble getting all the funds transferred correctly. We'll see how smoothly the transfer of skins goes. This will make things interesting in a few weeks! This is actually the first time I've been excited for online poker as a US player in the past 6 months or more. This could be great (or a flop) as a small stakes tourney player.

I always liked the Cake network, and Lock has always been one of the better Merge rooms. Lots of player liquidity there and better cashouts than other Merge rooms -- hopefully this carries over to the Cake network going forward!

Cake really needs the liquidity of some big rooms like Lock... between that and a potentially improved schedule -- hopefully with the network taking some shots at some decent GTDs -- this could be good.

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very Interesting. I have more money on Cake than any other site right now (except FT I guess...) but I hardly ever play there because I hate the software so much and the games aren't that good. Maybe Lock can change the software, implement better games, and speed up payouts!

Hopefully this doesn't significantly reduce the # of people on Merge. It would be nice if the Lock only people would both continue to play Lock on Cake and would also open Merge accounts at like Carbon or BCP or Hero, etc.

Mentor

Mentor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hopefully this doesn't significantly reduce the # of people on Merge. It would be nice if the Lock only people would both continue to play Lock on Cake and would also open Merge accounts at like Carbon or BCP or Hero, etc.

If Lock is not embellishing their numbers, it probably will. They claim to bring 40% of Merge's traffic alone. That will be a HUGE hit to the Merge network. Their skins better churn out some big promotions and the network better look to add some more liquidity. All in all, more competition can only be better for us players! :D

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be surprised if 1/2 of the current Lock player base stayed with them through the switchover. As of today, I'm done with them. I requested a full cashout (except for about $50). Not even sure I'll play with the $50 but I didn't want to completely drain the account.

Mentor

Mentor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be surprised if 1/2 of the current Lock player base stayed with them through the switchover. As of today, I'm done with them. I requested a full cashout (except for about $50). Not even sure I'll play with the $50 but I didn't want to completely drain the account.

Any reason in particular? Is it just Lock's overall shadiness, or something else?

Personally, I don't have a devotion to Merge. I will continue to play on Carbon and Hero -- maybe one or two other Merge rooms -- but am very excited to check out this new network.

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You say you done with them but you leaving $50. Try to make some sense

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any reason in particular? Is it just Lock's overall shadiness, or something else?

Personally, I don't have a devotion to Merge. I will continue to play on Carbon and Hero -- maybe one or two other Merge rooms -- but am very excited to check out this new network.
Lock's history (kind of scary if they're in charge of the network imo) + Cake's software blows and it'll be ages before they do anything more than throw a Lock skin on it.

You say you done with them but you leaving $50. Try to make some sense
I left $50 because of max withdrawal amounts. I'll probably trade it off when new suckers want to try out the "new" network.

Mentor

Mentor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lock's history (kind of scary if they're in charge of the network imo) + Cake's software blows and it'll be ages before they do anything more than throw a Lock skin on it.

On the first point -- no argument there. Lock has a shady past and I don't see them as the most reputable of rooms. But my biggest concern is with slow-paying and no-paying, which I am less worried about.

On the second point -- personally I don't really prefer Merge's software to Cake's. From an aesthetic standpoint, Merge's may look better, but from a practical standpoint, playing 4-6 tables, I think I prefer Cake. Either way, neither room's software is anything to write home about. You're right; it will be a while before we see any real software improvements, but from where I stand, that's not a HUGE deal.

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Just wondering why you played there if you are worried about their history?

RIP Cake Network. The Revolution Gaming Network is kind of a mouthful. Will it be Rev Gaming or RGN for short?

Changeover scheduled for May 31st. Hope the faster cashout includes a reduction in the minimum check w/d amount for Cake and Intertops.

Mentor

Mentor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Changeover scheduled for May 31st. Hope the faster cashout includes a reduction in the minimum check w/d amount for Cake and Intertops.

Good point, this would be great. Didn't think of this. I would have to think that -- considering Lock's size, they should easily be the biggest room on the new network -- Lock's $100 minimum cash out would have to carry over to the new network. Is Cake's minimum check withdrawal still $500? No way that will go over well with Lock's players.