I am new and have questions, lots!

Michael Moore

Michael Moore

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t get the nj thing. I’m guessing that it’s not something I need to worry myself with? I said I had lots of questions and now come to think of it that’s my main question. On poker stars it says “Physically in NJ”. If anyone can fill me in. I’m going to assume it’s just a legal loophole or some shite. There is no way everyone who plays is in nj.. help me please haha I’m such a newb!🤦*♂️

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, welcome to cardschat. Ask your questions and I am sure you will find many people here providing helpful answers.

pokerstars NJ was the first attempt by pokerstars to get back in to the USA market after the 2011 clampdown by US regulatory authorities on worldwide online poker sites.

The legal loophole is that although it carries the pokerstars branding it is actually a separate subsidiary regulated by New Jersey authorities and limited to real money Play only within itself, so only players located in NJ.
There are some other countries isolated in the same way with their own local pokerstars subsidiary.
The rest of the world still gets to compete against worldwide player pools.

You should however still have access to the Home Games where you can still participate in play money games with the international pokerstars players.
If you continue using cardschat, which of course we hope you do, then you will find that occasionally cardschat creates special events in home games where you can compete against the whole cardschat community in play money games, but cardschat provides prizes like hoodies and exclusive cardschat merchandise, which are fun events for all members.

Shady Slim

Shady Slim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you continue using cardschat, which of course we hope you do, then you will find that occasionally cardschat creates special events in home games where you can compete against the whole cardschat community in play money games, but cardschat provides prizes like hoodies and exclusive cardschat merchandise, which are fun events for all members.

I think CardsChat specifically stipulates that residents of New Jersey and Nevada are NOT eligible to play in their freerolls.

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t get the nj thing. I’m guessing that it’s not something I need to worry myself with? I said I had lots of questions and now come to think of it that’s my main question. On Poker Stars it says “Physically in NJ”. If anyone can fill me in. I’m going to assume it’s just a legal loophole or some shite. There is no way everyone who plays is in nj.. help me please haha I’m such a newb!🤦*♂️
Yes everyone playing on the nj ps site is in nj. They use various tracking to verify it. I know the delaware site uses phone location and ip address to verify location.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Welcome to CardsChat, Michael!

Just a few helpful links to get you going and to hopefully get you posting! And if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!

There are some requirements to be met for most of the freerolls and you will find information here (please read the first post) >>> Freeroll Passwords - PokerStars, 888poker, Partypoker & More

Take a look at these threads to get you started in the forums, too!

CardsChat Rules and FAQ's
We Have a Translator in the Forum!
Cardschat Guidelines and Tips for Beginners

Curious to know, what state are you in? (in reference to the NJ query)

Michael Moore

Michael Moore

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m in ct what site should I play poker on? For real money? I’m in the wrong poker room I guess huh?

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
You can play "play money" games on Pokerstars most Cardchat Special Events are played there so you will be able to play them.

Rooms you can play on: Americas Card Room Betonline, Sporstbetting Poker, intertops

Carchat has freerolls on all these sites but you will need to qualify for them. See Shells post above.

I would personally reccomend Americas Card Room they have the most traffic and the rake for games is less compared to others.

I’m in ct what site should I play poker on? For real money? I’m in the wrong poker room I guess huh?

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

You are fine and Joeisi has given you some good guidance in his response to you, too! :)

Michael Moore

Michael Moore

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone for the great advice, I’m deleting nj because there is no reason to be on there.. I’m in the middle of live tournament now so I’m out