good hand ... ty

sorcerer_

sorcerer_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate it when a player says to another "good hand" and the other thanks him.

It's not the hand !!!! It's the way you play it !!!!

At least in my mind, that is how it goes ...

What's your opinion about this?

Last edited:
C

Cipisor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is used to distract player atention from the game !! :laugh:

sorcerer_

sorcerer_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes .. that would make sence .. but I still hate it :)

jeterkid925

jeterkid925

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea it bugs me too, I've seen people say "nice hand with like pair of 2s" It's pointless, you're online to play poker not suck up

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorcerer_ said:
I hate it when a player says to another "good hand" and the other thanks him.

It's not the hand !!!! It's the way you play it !!!!

At least in my mind, that is how it goes ...

What's your opinion about this?
People are congratulating you on the nh even if you played it or got lucky on it. It is called being respectful,nice,kind and good ettiquette. Would you prefer rude and inconsiderate? They aren't looking to distract you just to compliment you. A quick typed TY won't hurt either. I even say very nice hand(vnh) to the great hands such as a boat, 4 of a kind, straight flush and so on. It is also called good sportsmanship especially when you lose. People can't shake your hand and congratulate you in person so what better way then to type nh or vnh. Takes around 2 seconds tops, and another 2 seconds tops to say ty.

O

ogordy3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like giving respect to a person who FISHED to the end and got lucky..... Even if u riase a whole lot and they still call...... BUT IM SURE THEY WILLL GET BUSTED IN TEH END

sorcerer_

sorcerer_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Twizzybop

Of course yu must show some respect to a player, but I would rather say to someone good play or nicely played because someone could win with pocket 3 4 by raising a lot and eliminating the players with better hands before they see the turn, or even flop
And in my perspective, that is good play ... to eliminate the player that would have won

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you rather say good play instead of nh. Both are good in itself, yes granted. If you can make the whole table fold before the flop. That is a good play then again you don't know what "cards" they have to determine if it is a good play. Most of us know that 3X The BB with AA and KK is a good play. Analogy I think would be that of making a layup in basketball or if you are tall enough a slam dunk. Yet back to the 3,4 and someone calls and the 3,4 doesn't flop anything. Now do you call it a good play or bonehead move? Is it now a good bluff try? How about that person who has AX(s) and takes a chance on the "Nut" flush. The flop gives him 2 other suited cards. He calls all the way to the river even though he has a 35% of getting the nut flush including the river card. I think the question remains "Will it turn out to be a good play or a bad play? I prefer to call it bonhead cause I have definatly made some bonhead moves. Ever congratulate yourself on a good play? The way I do that, and I wouldn't do it in person. I flip my computer screen the bird, think to myself "Ha I got you that time". Yet when I lose on a bonhead play and it happened today. I bluffed all the way to the river with Queen, 6. Firing bullets(bets) all the way there. Highest card on the table was a 10. Queen hits the river, now Ego kicks in of course. I bet my bullet cause I was starting "low" stack. Guy bets the rest of my stack re-raise. I had a choice but went all-in anyway. Stopped thinking by that point. Lost to Queen,10.
I admit I didn't say nh cause I knew the second I saw I lost that it was a bonehead play, closed the game window, shut down the poker site. Would I do that again? Probably cause I still am learning to read the board and slowly learning to leave my "Ego" out the door. LOL Basically I left in shame, well in my mind it was.

oops sorry.. no paragraph breaks.. still learning that as well. Always hated english...

Last edited:
sorcerer_

sorcerer_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 4 was just an example that hit me on the moment
Nice comment ;)

I'm also a learner and also make lots of bonhead moves mostly after 1-2 hours of playing in a tourney ... I usualy get to the limit of my patience and bet high on stupid hands .. so .. I still have to learn how to be more patient

see you in a couple of years at the WPT tables ;) ... :hello: live on national television

R

rossie75

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i very rarely play with the chat area open, looks at the stats or info pages or just disable it. i really hate the people who NH every hand, and if you don't NH them they will just say TY like we owe them something.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
rossie75 said:
i very rarely play with the chat area open, looks at the stats or info pages or just disable it. i really hate the people who NH every hand, and if you don't NH them they will just say TY like we owe them something.
It is called common courtesy, would you have them slam the door on your face instead of holding the door open for you? I am sorry your majesty, I will lay out the red carpet and low down roses while you walk through the door I just held open for you.

Sorry that it would be such a hard task for you to actually open and hold the door open for yourself while us peons actually owe you something.

J

jbsit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually ignore the NHs unless I think I played a hand particularly well and worthy of the compliment. The NHs you get after you pull some bonehead move and river bails you out are BS though. I usually ignore them and just be pissed at myself more for playing a hand poorly. They're probably just saying NH because of the suspense and emotion around someone elses bad beat rather than my playing ability anyway.

But...if I do play a hand well and someone recognizes it, I'll say TY.

B

Benj253

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always take off the chat to avoid stupid people

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Benj253 said:
I always take off the chat to avoid stupid people
I always slam the door in your face to avoid rude, inconsiderate and down right mean people. Not to mention hold the elevator door for you, or let you in the lane you need to be in cause you are in a rush so you drive in the wrong lane to get into the lane you are supposed to be in. Learn some consideration and manners, it will get you much further then the I don't care and avoid others attitude.

MDR86

MDR86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have a problem with people saying nice hand. As long as the person really has a nice hand. I think people over use it. Saying it just to be nice.

sorcerer_

sorcerer_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MDR86 .. I agree with you

As for twizzy ... well ... some people just don't care about this kind a thing (I am one fo them)... and I really think you are the opposite of that, caring too much ... every one is entitled to his own oppinion, and you really seem affected by that

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ha! And also, its like congratulating the player on having some luck, cos ultimately once your hand is revealed it was luck that you got the hand you did

I hate it as well, congrats on winning the pot, move on

B

Bobobn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate when people say "nh" especially when it wasn't a nice hand and someone got incredibly lucky ;(

R

rr_34

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with those who just like etiquette. I'm a very friendly player & prefer those who keep in mind that a game is not the only thing in life no matter how high the stakes. I can't stand it when chat gets ugly.

However, I NEVER turn it off because it's a great way to tell a lot about people's frames of mind, & especially who may be tilting or just going after each other (I get out of their way & let them go ballistic usually - clean up on them later). Best thing you have if you can't play in person. I just try to tune it out if it gets distracting or mean, but can be a great tool.

sorcerer_

sorcerer_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
rr_34

I know what you're saying ... I mean, you need to be a little off track to love poker fights ... but also, someone saying nh after each hand I find irritating ... and alos saying it jut to look nice and maybe if they are nice will get better luck .. that is bullshit ...
good play is to be praised .. and also good hands are to be apreciated ... and that's about it for me

S

shortmofia11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont mind the occasional ty or nh but the awful hands that get those comments really bug me. Plus poker is known as a sport just like football or even chess, in the heat of the battle i dont want to be thanking anyone or congratulating anyone-not to be rude but thats just my take on it.

sorcerer_

sorcerer_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today I saw something that I wouldn't have thougth I see ... someone saying to himself nice hand and then thanking himself ... That got mie very aggravated ... the thing was that I was playing at a single table tourney and I already had payed 1$ .. or else I would have left on the spot ...

I wonder what the next thing will be to amaze me

MDR86

MDR86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorcerer I have seen this a couple times before. All you can do is laugh it off. At that point they are just doing it to get a rise out of you. And maybe throw you off a little.

K

kozlo6pack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't seen that one yet, but I do see people saying Ty to "no one" as no one has said gh or nh or anything.....Its a bit annoying, but I try to ignore that stuff.

Has anyone noticed that there are many nasty people out there in tourneys? Sometimes I can't wait for them to "lose" or move tables. THey say very rude things and won't stop for anything. Very childish in my opinion
Trish

B

becca4825

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with rr about leaving the chat on. It gives you an idea of who's off balance. It has been my experience that those crazies who are just there to argue and annoy people always go out quicker. Although I think that saying nh all the time is stupid, a quick thank you can keep people from turning into real jerks.

I have noticed the large number of nasty people in poker tournaments, especially free rolls. I don't know about you Trish, but I have also had quite a few men harrass me because I'm a woman at a poker table. There are a lot of chauvinist jerks out there who don't like being beat by a woman. On some sites, i have changed my screen name so that my gender is not obvious.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands