Does your poker room username affect how others play against you?

Does username affect player behavior

• YES

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • NO

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • IT DEPENDS

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
A

aj88xa869

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think? Does having any specific username make others play differently towards you than they would otherwise? Are there usernames that give certain players advantages over other players?

Obviously with enough hands dealt at a table with the same players, you will eventually get a good feel for them regardless, or enough info to accurately use HUD stats. But in MTTs with broad ranges of players all moving tables?

Do you think an inappropriate/offensive username (which we unfortunately see all too often) would be enough to send a particular player into tilt? Especially after seeing a bad beat or two from the former.

Have you ever been significantly bothered by a username at your table and just wanted to crush them as if they had a huge bounty on their head? If so please feel free NOT share the name here LOL. I personally don't pay much attention or care at all, but am just curious of others experiences.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that the username is a reflection of the person’s essence, but not all poker players are trying to make their name personal, this is likely a quick account registration, and you cannot change your nickname. So it was with me. When I registered my account, I created such a nickname to quickly enter the room, starting with the number of the name of the area in which I lived in my childhood. Now I probably would like to change my nickname. I do not like the wrong behavior of some players who laugh at my country, they ask if I know Borat and so on. I think that this does not suit them, these are people who are not far and poorly educated, it seems to me.

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me that the username is a reflection of the person’s essence, but not all poker players are trying to make their name personal, this is likely a quick account registration, and you cannot change your nickname. So it was with me. When I registered my account, I created such a nickname to quickly enter the room, starting with the number of the name of the area in which I lived in my childhood. Now I probably would like to change my nickname. I do not like the wrong behavior of some players who laugh at my country, they ask if I know Borat and so on. I think that this does not suit them, these are people who are not far and poorly educated, it seems to me.
I think if their name gives the insinuation that they are tight ( like onlyplayaces) I tend to give them less credit and if thier name is something funny and discredited like stupidoldman or bigdumbfish I pay a lot more attention to thier play.

Other than that anything with don't in title give me the impression they overestimate thier skills and can be exploited.

majango

majango

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope so 😁

my nickname is: majang88. Cause 88 was my favourite Hand back in Time 😁
And Im from germany so its no big question what they start to talking when they get Angry. 😁

And I love It. Nothing better then Angry Opponents who wants to see you Fail.

Ask Phil Helmuth he would tell you the same 😁😁😁

P

paapcity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me usernames doesnt change my play.
The cards i get and the stats on players let me decide if i want to be involved in a hand or not, not a username.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Username means nothing if it isn't abusive to other people, so it doesn't need to be a problem

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usernames or avatars doesn't affect me one bit. Its however funny when you see an avatar of a shark and a username like DrillurSkull and the player plays really bad.

oneloy

oneloy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you are crazy !!! That's bullshit!

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I pay more attention to how they're playing than to the name.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I pay attention to what HUD has to say about particular username than what particular username tells about itself. I don't even read them majority of time.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I make notes and use HUD, I don't even try to remember any name. It is not important to me.

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think u can put a username that will sway someone so decision off making an opinion on you

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its probably bad deduction but I tend to take my cues from the persons location
Brazilians Russians and Canadians display very similar patterns of play

G

Gr34tWh1t3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to this like that , but I don't think that to many people play to much atention this days to the name meanings, I for one 99% of time don't luck or read or try to see the meaning of usernames anymore .

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's 50/50 for mine. Some people like to call/raise more aggressively against me because they don't believe I have it. Othertimes, it feels like people fold more often because I already have a TAG image. I can't say for sure but I have had people ask in chat if I'm bluffing several times after a hand.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the field IMO.

I found myself falling for it early on, sometimes, but not so much anymore.

Personally I am more interested in what I observe and have in my stats regarding a particular player. But I do not believe Stats are more a guide than a indicator of how someone plays especially in microstakes & freerolls. As for the player name today I barely pay attention to it other than to see if I have notes on the person..

yard47

yard47

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Im mostly trying to focus on the hud and my tagging of players. When I tag new players in zoom tables f.e (for the first time) I use avatars and usernames as a tell and adjust my tag later on if they show a different behaviour.

But one funny anectode:

I think it was back in 2016 in 3.30$ MTT (last 500 of 4-6k field) and I flopped quad kings in an pre-flop all in against the player "alwaysquads" :D

This moment stuck with me, because he didn't seem tilted but just sent a single laughing emote in the chat.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe for some player, I usually just read the another player name if I want to tag it or if I had did it in the past.

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to focus mainly on how they are playing the rest really does not matter.

M

maximmaxim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t know about the nickname, but I put an alucard on a picture in the blood ... red tones and it worked on people ....
WzE0IsFzhIo.jpeg

at least they start to think that you are an inadequate person ... and if some kind of naruto .... immediately start thinking that some kind of stupid child is playing and I don't respect him immediately ....

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I don’t know about the nickname, but I put an alucard on a picture in the blood ... red tones and it worked on people ....
WzE0IsFzhIo.jpeg

at least they start to think that you are an inadequate person ... and if some kind of naruto .... immediately start thinking that some kind of stupid child is playing and I don't respect him immediately ....
Personally for me it's always been funny how some players choose scary/disgusting avatars to try and affect opponents, like are they unaware of possibility to block it? :D (not to mention all those who prefer layouts without avatars). Once I see the one that I dislike I hide it immediately.

T

timz10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just a name

What do you think? Does having any specific username make others play differently towards you than they would otherwise? Are there usernames that give certain players advantages over other players?

Obviously with enough hands dealt at a table with the same players, you will eventually get a good feel for them regardless, or enough info to accurately use HUD stats. But in MTTs with broad ranges of players all moving tables?

Do you think an inappropriate/offensive username (which we unfortunately see all too often) would be enough to send a particular player into tilt? Especially after seeing a bad beat or two from the former.

Have you ever been significantly bothered by a username at your table and just wanted to crush them as if they had a huge bounty on their head? If so please feel free NOT share the name here LOL. I personally don't pay much attention or care at all, but am just curious of others experiences.
well there r alot of good names out there dont affect me mine timz or timz10 or timz1010 i guess when i got pocket 10s and 2 on board that might bother some

J

Joonnn1212

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think username can definitely have an impact on the way other players perceive you, but only as an initial impression. If someone has a really foolish username, you might expect them to be a bit of a crazier player. If someone has a year that's probably from a birthdate in their name like 1950, you might expect them to play more conservative. Of course, these first impressions can be easily reevaluated after playing with them and getting a better feel for their actual playstyle.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I get called a lot with the name Chief talking bull. People just can't help but think that I'm full of crap.