Different rooms, different results

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I regularly play 888, pokerstars, ACR and GG and have found that on some sites I win quite often yet on others I can't buy a win..Playing low entry MTT on ACR I place ITM more than 50%. Playing 888 - mostly freerolls I place ITM often, playing Pokerstars I used to do well but for the past two months cannot win usually even a hand, and with GG poker so far only playing Freerolls and get good starting hands and lose every time...Why such a variance? For the most part the players are usually the same, my play is the same - Tight, Aggressive. :):):)

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Jerry - I find that the biggest factor is the number of players. You're in BC - have you tried Playnow? That's my site of choice lately. The players are the same as everywhere, but there are a lot fewer of them. So a typical tournament is a lot easier to win and takes a lot less time. Plus it's super easy to get money in and out. Plus they have phone support. Plus they're not offshore. The only negatives are that the software sucks and there isn't a huge selection of games/tournaments to choose from. Give it a try.

BTW - if you do decide to play there, my Username is BlackWing.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I regularly play 888, Pokerstars, ACR and GG and have found that on some sites I win quite often yet on others I can't buy a win.
BetOnline is the site that is difficult for me. No reason I can think of....just seem to struggle there? :dontknow:

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play now

Hey Jerry - I find that the biggest factor is the number of players. You're in BC - have you tried Playnow? That's my site of choice lately. The players are the same as everywhere, but there are a lot fewer of them. So a typical tournament is a lot easier to win and takes a lot less time. Plus it's super easy to get money in and out. Plus they have phone support. Plus they're not offshore. The only negatives are that the software sucks and there isn't a huge selection of games/tournaments to choose from. Give it a try.

BTW - if you do decide to play there, my Username is BlackWing.

Thanks for the reply Matt, As for Play Now, I used to play there quite a bit and even won a few fairly large tourneys, However, after a while I began to think their Software was somewhat tainted..I ran into a long long stretch where I got nothing but bad beats and I mean bad...losing continuously with QQ,KK,AA,AK etc I just gave up, cashed out and left the sight..sorry but I just don't trust it..:):):)

T

teutonic1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"...Why such a variance? For the most part the players are usually the same, my play is the same - Tight, Aggressive..."

Good question. I have heard from players who play at live venues, they also often express a preference for a couple of favorite poker rooms. When they criticise a poker room they normally point out that the player pool is too nitty, the rake is too high, or there is too little action, etc. They same will apply to online sites.

For the past several years with regard to on-line poker, the entire poker community just nitted up by relying on solver charts and so on. When you have a hard time finding a cash game table with participation rates >20% at the micro level, you don't have the action to get involved that often in a hand. The entire exercise then self-reinfornces as everybody tightens up. When you add in the rake and lack of rake-back opportunities, there is no potential profit in the games. There's just no damned action.

The problem was not with HUDs or even with solvers but with an entire community who won't give action. Most people want to act like bots. They want a gauranteed BB return. Nothing wrong with that, but we shouldn't expect juicy cash games - bar maybe the weekends

That's why I went entirely into tournaments. At the micro to mid levels there are people who will give action on the tables. For whatever reason, there are players who will gamble it up a bit more in a tourney - boredom, limited liability exposure, who knows?

I once heard that high roller cash games were very lucrative in Las Vegas simply because professional gamblers knew they had to give action to whales. Sometimes the pros took one for the team when variance went against them and the whales took home some of the pro's money. It's a bit like a weekly friendly game, if you took all the money every week the game would end or at least you'd be uninvited quickly. A good reg at a friendly game gives action, loses some, and gains respect when they emerge as a good player over the years. People don't resent their winnings so much then. They don't act like sharks, but more like foxes.

The online game sort of forces us to act like sharks, imo - what with solver charts at our instant disposal. I tend to think that the online scene operates in waves. Right now, due to the pandemic, there's plenty of action. Shoals of fish* have come into the waters and the hunting is good. This will pass. Then another wave will occur - if only because a new generation is born.

In the meantime, there's always tournies and the odd occasion weekend tables to keep things ticking.

*I have no illusions that I am anything other than a fish. I sometimes nibble at others but I haven't grown any shark's teeth. Yet.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the reply Matt, As for Play Now, I used to play there quite a bit and even won a few fairly large tourneys, However, after a while I began to think their Software was somewhat tainted..I ran into a long long stretch where I got nothing but bad beats and I mean bad...losing continuously with QQ,KK,AA,AK etc I just gave up, cashed out and left the sight..sorry but I just don't trust it..:):):)
I've had my ups and downs with them. The software sucks but I've never felt it was "tainted". They did by the way switch to a different software a few months ago. The old software didn't work on Macs (which is why I stopped playing there for a year or so) but the new one does.
"...Why such a variance? For the most part the players are usually the same, ...
I agree 100%. I've played on lots of sites and most people play more or less the same. I've had losing streaks on them all. Not so many winning streaks but it does seem to depend on the size the tournament, as I said above. Cash games - I also agree, a lot of nits out there.

Last edited:
franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I regularly play 888, Pokerstars, ACR and GG and have found that on some sites I win quite often yet on others I can't buy a win..Playing low entry MTT on ACR I place ITM more than 50%. Playing 888 - mostly freerolls I place ITM often, playing Pokerstars I used to do well but for the past two months cannot win usually even a hand, and with GG poker so far only playing Freerolls and get good starting hands and lose every time...Why such a variance? For the most part the players are usually the same, my play is the same - Tight, Aggressive. :):):)

I've always done well on 888, and party poker, but not on PokerStars--until recently.

I found that even though, I though my playing style was the same on each, it really wasn't.

PokerStars has so many players on it, that I realised that I was being drawn into playing a lot of all-in pots, because of the quality of the players. Problem is, that playing that way put me at their level, and when you have 3-4 players going all-in on a hand, that someone will luck out against you, despite how good your cards are.

Now I'm being very patient, and play very tight at PokerStars, and try my best to limit my all-in play to 1-2 players in a hand.

It's working for me, so I have to keep disciplining myself to stay that way.