corruption

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just checked my EMails and found a credit from poker stars. Two guys were found to be colluding in 6 player 1 table games, they were banned from the site, and their ill gotten gains were divded amongst those who were cheated.
I would just like to say a hearty well done to Poker Stars.

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that's not corruption...that's justice. sweet deal

M

MsDonkDonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes...well done. That is the 2nd time I have heard of them doing that.

P

PokerJoeAAAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much did you get? I think it is great that they have been caught.

M33K3R

M33K3R

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats on getting your money back! How much was refunded to you?

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I got $5.20 once due to cheating in a $6.50 sit and go. I have no idea which sit and go and which players though.

M

mig2169

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow cuddddooooos to stars, that is something that happens to often and they don't get caught.

B

ballboy75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that is quite impressive. how do they even catch those people?
i mean, how can you locate a couple of cheaters amongst the thousands and thousands of player who are playing all at once? isnt it like looking for a needle in a hay stack? and suppose your suspected of cheating and you never cheat, what happens then? im sure they have made mistakes before and will make them again.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From what I understand, they just don't ban people, take their money and redistribute it without a very thorough investigation and questioning.

It's likey imo that people like this do not know the rules, slip up by doing something like chip dumping, have addresses within blocks of each other, and do stupid things on open tables where everyone can see. Then the investigation starts.

ace2daface

ace2daface

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
always gives me faith in poker sites when i hear stories like this. it shows that they wanna keep the games fair.

clubsta

clubsta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I imagine part of it could be from being informed by their fellow players. I.e. perhaps someone at that particular table was suspicious of their collusion and have some sort of proof, etc., and probably emailed this information to PS. Of course, I'm sure PS gets plenty of emails from players claiming that other people were cheating. That, and I'm sure (or I hope) they have a staff of people just routinely looking for cheaters. Kudos PS!

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that is quite impressive. how do they even catch those people?
i mean, how can you locate a couple of cheaters amongst the thousands and thousands of player who are playing all at once? isnt it like looking for a needle in a hay stack? and suppose your suspected of cheating and you never cheat, what happens then? im sure they have made mistakes before and will make them again.

They are fairly diligent in checking possible emails when it comes to real money. They just key in the players names and it spits out a report of how many times they have played together and results

moemtg

moemtg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good deal on PStars End

That's why I always have loved pokerstars... you may not get rakeback... but they are on the ball with peoples scams and schemes, etc.

It's good to hear they are keeping up tight security...

Thanks,
Moe.

G

Grindit9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are fairly diligent in checking possible emails when it comes to real money. They just key in the players names and it spits out a report of how many times they have played together and results

They also look at IP adresses if they think multiple accounts are colluding. Some people that cheat are so incredibly dumb, you cannot imagine. Lets cheat a site and play on the same ip or 2 ip's that are close to each other (geographically).

X

xXShannonAXx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i heard that fulltilt also does this in the end though its good that you got some funds back and it seems like these people that where cheating would of got banned hopefully more people that cheat get busted so we can have good games that arnt full of multi accouters colluders etc

B

Big Maverick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They can easily figure it out by looking at their IP Addresses. If they notice two IP Addresses within close range (0-50 miles) often together at the same tables, they could do an investigation. I don't know if this is how they do it, but I think it is a very plausible way.

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In response to M33K3R, I believe the refund was $10.60.

Much like the post of Lukesilver, I have no idea which sit&go or sit&gos contained the collusion.

I went to Spain for a week on an allinclusive holiday and the night before I flew, I had eight out of ten third placed finnishes. I found fellow internet Poker players at the Hotel and was bemoaning my badluck or lack of ability.
When I returned from the holiday, I found the email, which cheered me up big time. Two reasons for being cheered up, firstly Poker Stars seem to be doing their best to look after us and secondly, maybe that dreadful evening 8/10 3rd places wasn't purely down to my lack of ability !

Despite the refund I now only play in tournaments involing 3,000 players or more, and have faired quite well.

Sysvr4

Sysvr4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, stars is great about this kind of thing. After the Absolute debacle they also wrote up a treatise on how they secure their system and how many obstacles one would have to overcome in order to cheat like that on their site. As a programmer, I found it both fascinating and entirely viable. I also like the new secure codes on stars... that's a nice touch.

Sadly, it's all but impossible to completely stamp out collusion. Best way is probably to just play HU :)

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's shcoking to find ppl who multi account to try find a edge over the game to make more $. Dirty worms.
But welldone for PokerStars for sorting this kind of stuff out!

N

nightmoves44

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally am very glad to see a site doing their job by protecting the honest players from the dishonest players.We really never know until someone makes a post like this,wtg to all involved!