Do you stop playing poker if your bad luck is stuck to you:confused::confused:

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course not . I'll see what I'm doing wrong when I lose. I will draw conclusions for myself, and I will start playing again.

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I just take a short break and start to analyze what did I do wrong, how do I need to improve or change a character of the game. And I am trying to not a play if I have a bad mood or stress too because by my own experience it also causing bad luck.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is not just about luck or bad luck. Some say it's a bluff skill.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I might cut my session short and stop for the day, if I am running really bad, and it is starting to get to me. Its important to recognize the early signs of tilt and protect yourself from playing, when you are not able to play your best. So many people spend hours and hours "trying to get unstuck", and its basically just a recipe for busting your bankroll again and again as explained in this video:

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I don't think anyone will stop playing. the desire to win back will not fade.:eek:

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would stop playing when I realized I was leaving my A-Game and starting to tilt. But when you have it under control there is nothing against playing on. Stay cool, listen to the music and think back to situations when you did something stupid and in the end were lucky to win. That makes it easier for me to process a bad beat.

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are times I just don't get any cards at all and that gives me pause. However I find that rather than 'bad luck' it is the mood I am in. I play differently if there are things on my schedule I need to make happen, and I tend to play more aggressively in positions I should not be playing.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Sometimes, if I am unlucky, I stop playing. I prefer to go for a walk. I think this is the best option that helps save money.

soLdaTeS88

soLdaTeS88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you can't win much without luck in poker. How well you would not play, but luck should help you. If there is a black streak and you are constantly losing, it is best to take a short break from poker.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes and no. Do I take a break when its going bad and I cant seam to win? yes when the game is not fun or I see I am starting to play scared. Taking a few days off to decompress helps a lot at least for me. But when you do you also need to look at your game. There have been times when I review my bad run and it confirms the poker gods are not being nice to me but there have been many time I see its more my fault that the cards.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I definitely do stop playing cash tables when I'm running bad but freerolls I will keep going with just because they're there at fixed times every day.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I definitely do stop playing cash tables when I'm running bad but freerolls I will keep going with just because they're there at fixed times every day.

Obviously freerolls are a little different, since you can not lose in them, even if you play absolutely terrible. But that being said if you have been tilting, in my opinion its better to close the poker client completely and not even play freerolls or for that matter play money games. It makes it easier to recover mentally and also helps you simply live a more balanced life. More often than not if you have been tilting, you have also been spending a lot of hours at the poker tables. And maybe its simply time to devote your attention to something else for a while.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would stop playing when I realized I was leaving my A-Game and starting to tilt. But when you have it under control there is nothing against playing on. Stay cool, listen to the music and think back to situations when you did something stupid and in the end were lucky to win. That makes it easier for me to process a bad beat.

I fully agree with the first part of what you said, but the thing I would be careful to acknowledge is for some people, there may be a grey area where they are unsure if they have tilt under control or not because it comes in different forms. If you exhibit any of those symptoms, it is best to step away.

If you're unsure of the various forms of tilt, here is an article that will be helpful for you, by Jared Tendler, who wrote the book "The Mental Game of Poker".

https://www.pokerstarsschool.com/lessons/seven-types-of-tilt/

I do like the strategy of laughing at yourself, where you mentioned when you did something stupid (quoting you), and understand that we all make mistakes when playing, and we all do win our share of those situations.

Also, we all process these situations differently. Some people can just shrug it off and continue playing, but others may need some time to blow off steam. It's important to know where you fall in this spectrum and act based on your own individual situation.

Yes and no. Do I take a break when its going bad and I cant seam to win? yes when the game is not fun or I see I am starting to play scared. Taking a few days off to decompress helps a lot at least for me. But when you do you also need to look at your game. There have been times when I review my bad run and it confirms the poker gods are not being nice to me but there have been many time I see its more my fault that the cards.

I think taking time off can be really good because if you find you are putting in a LOT of volume, it may start to feel less fun because after all, it is a game, and we should enjoy playing it. Having some separation from it may be healthy as well because after a few days pass by, you will start to get that itch to play again, and when you are about to fire up your session, you are excited to play. Everything we do should be about balance and to know what is healthy for each of us.

PokStorm

PokStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm fortunate not to play enough to feel that kind of feeling. One shot I win, one shot I lose and for the moment it's just fun and learning. ;)

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah but if you have bad luck, you can't do nothing about this.

The correct bluff allows you not to open or show cards. Then you don't need luck. The opponent will give the chips or money himself. Understand that in poker, not everything depends on luck. Professionals try to force the opponent to give up before the showdown, so as not to take risks.

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The correct bluff allows you not to open or show cards. Then you don't need luck. The opponent will give the chips or money himself. Understand that in poker, not everything depends on luck. Professionals try to force the opponent to give up before the showdown, so as not to take risks.
But you can't bluff everyone off the hand. You need some luck to hit the right hands for you to even bluff people. Saying that you don't need luck is silly. Luck is needed in every aspect of life, the same thing in poker.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes, or ill play free or low stakes, freeroll poker.

4MileKing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please keep playing because i sure dont need yours and my bad luck to combine

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Back luck is back luck, & poker is poker.

Back luck exist every where, We play poker and learn survive under back luck.