Anyone else experience client "stalling" before dealing the river?

K

Kaymore

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok... First off this is not a "online poker is rigged!" post. I know it's not. Just wanted to see if this seems to happen to anyone else.

I've been playing on ACR exclusively for a while now, but I've noticed this happen on multiple poker clients.

Does anyone else experience the client kind of "freezing" or "stalling" before delivering the river on an all-in hand? I've noticed this happen a countless number of times after going all-in... Usually pre-flop or on the flop. The client will deal the flop, the turn, and then it will stall for 2-3 seconds before delivering the river. I swear it feels like it's calculating whether it wants to screw you over or not.

Just felt like venting a little bit. Was playing 50c/$1 6+ Hold'Em on ACR and got it all in Pre-flop with AA vs villain's AKo. Flop comes Q-10-10, turn comes an 8, and then it stalls for at least 3 seconds... So long that I had time to think to myself "It's about to screw me by putting a Jack out there." Sure enough...ol' One-Eyed Jack of Spades makes an unwanted appearance on the river.
This "stall" on the river with all-in pots seems to happen very often. And it's not just me. I also see it happen when it's other players shipping it and I get out of the way. It doesn't screw me over every time, and it doesn't stall every time either. But I do seem to lose and/or receive a bad beat more often when it "stalls" dealing the river than I do when it deals the cards in a timely fashion (maybe a LITTLE bit of confirmation bias here... but I do believe it's true).

Also, a question... Anybody have some good resources on 6+/Short deck? Strategies, odds and percentages, etc.?

Last edited:
guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
During the current 200 billion hands celebration on Stars, I got rare client stalling which I assumed to be related to the 200k player field in the 200k-GTD free roll tourney.

Other than that, no complaints.

andi08

andi08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the breaks have nothing to do with you...
It's only done to make the game a bit more interesting & special.
The delay has no effect on the next cards. Because the cards are shuffled before and then not changed anymore. So it doesn't matter how much time passes during the distribution. The only things that can change are your thoughts. With more time you can think/get possibly also more absurd thoughts.
So it is up to you to what extent you let yourself be influenced...
& you can consciously concentrate on helpful thoughts again, the time for that is there...

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have experienced this on many occasions and believe its just for dramatic effect. If there is anything "rigged" about OLP it's that it is programmed to have more action and let underdog hands win. Its all pre-programmed the software doesn't make spur of the moment decisions it just doesn't work that way.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I noticed that a few times and then started paying attention to the result when a stalled river card fell. I did not find that it was more or less likely to benefit the player who was behind or even be a card that helped either player. Most I observed seemed to be a blank for both players.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't noticed or contemplated the possibilities behind these stalls before the river is dealt.

The logical, Occam's razor answer is it's just latency experienced at various times during OLP, to varying degrees.

Whilst I have noticed this numerous times when I've been in an all-in situation and the other player has maybe two outs going to the river, in the two or so seconds waiting for the river it's easy to imagine the program riffling through the 100%'s to find any 0% but that is just paranoid fantasy.

The reality is that if the program was cheating, it would cheat just as quickly as it didn't cheat, it wouldn't be effected by LAG. This is computer processing we're talking about here, not some backstreet hustler thumbing through a deck...

Please be straight and fair Stars (I'm sure you are), it'd be soul destroying and heartbreaking to discover being serially cheated in a rigged game for years!

Court case or two.. LOL