A tough decision..

mercyscercy

mercyscercy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're in a big poker tournament($5,000 buy-in) the chip average is 20,000 chips... you have 63,000 chips.. the tournament chip leader has 150,000 chips... The tournament is 2 players being eliminated from being in the $$.. You find yourself in a hand with somebody that has just a little more chips than you do(65,000 chips) you get dealt :qh4::qd4:.
You raise 3 times the big blind and get re-raised the same amount. You call and the flop comes :6s4::2h4::4c4:. You bet half the pot size. Your opponent raises all-in.. which would put you all-in. Now knowing your 2 players away from the $ and not a rich person by any means and won the entry to the tournament through a satellite, allot of people would just fold knowing you would be guaranteed around $8,000. But also your opponent has been playing allot of hands.. some good some not so good. Your Gut tells you that your 2 Queens are good and if you won the pot you would be 1 of the chip leaders and in great shape to make the final table and some serious $$$. 1st place pays $300,000 and everybody at the final table will win at least $90k. But if you called and were actually up against KK or AA getting knocked out gives you nothing at all I'm curious on what ya'll would do.

Me personally I'm lower class, live week to week, paycheck to paycheck. So any money won especially $5k-$10k when I only paid $11 for the satellite would help my life out tremendously. That being said when I play poker, especially a tournament I always try to win. Yes my play may slow down and get tight around the money bubble..But I usually always trust my play, my thoughts, my information learned and 95% of the time my gut.
That being said I would call the all-in if I thought I was good.

FYI- This did happen to me last year at the circuit. I was correct on the call..my opponent had :ah4::kh4:. Unfortunately the turn came a :ks4: and ended up losing. Lucky for me before the hand was over 3 players were eliminated at another table and ended up walking away with $9,400. I always wonder what could have been if I made a run at that tournaent. :dontknow:

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Great post but the blinds woulda been nice, although you get the picture... :)

It's a tough spot! :laugh:

I'd rather bust the first hand than here and bubble...