Ted Forest, Mike Matusow Prop Bet Argument ($1.7 Million)

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
First off Ted Forest making a bet of this size with Mike Matusow seems foolish to me, He just doesn't seem like the guy who has good BRM or would stay good to his word..

Second of all just like I would imagine Mike Matusow doing is making up what seems to be lies and excuses and blaming full tilt poker lol

Mike seems to be the type of guy who lives off of stakes is talented but just doesn't make good life management choices.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its 4 years ago, and not my problem......

JaxA

JaxA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off Ted Forest making a bet of this size with Mike Matusow seems foolish to me, He just doesn't seem like the guy who has good BRM or would stay good to his word..

Second of all just like I would imagine Mike Matusow doing is making up what seems to be lies and excuses and blaming Full Tilt Poker lol

Mike seems to be the type of guy who lives off of stakes is talented but just doesn't make good life management choices.

I concur with your assessment.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure, knowing what we know now it seems like a crazy amount to be expecting Matusow to be able to pay. But the bet was made pre-Black Friday. Matusow was one of the big-name members of Team Full Tilt. Losing a $2 million bet would obviously hurt him, it'd hurt anyone. But it probably wasn't unreasonable to assume he'd be able to get his hands on the money either. Now, of course, things are very different.

Mike's quote at the end of the article is pathetic - he shouldn't have to pay because some other unrelated thing "ruined his life"? LOL. He sure as hell would have expected Forrest to pay if he hadn't lost the weight.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Ted is pretty relentless on twitter.

S

srissofredi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure, knowing what we know now it seems like a crazy amount to be expecting Matusow to be able to pay. But the bet was made pre-Black Friday. Matusow was one of the big-name members of Team Full Tilt. Losing a $2 million bet would obviously hurt him, it'd hurt anyone. But it probably wasn't unreasonable to assume he'd be able to get his hands on the money either. Now, of course, things are very different.

Mike's quote at the end of the article is pathetic - he shouldn't have to pay because some other unrelated thing "ruined his life"? LOL. He sure as hell would have expected Forrest to pay if he hadn't lost the weight.

I'd still say that's a very sizeable chunk of money for Matusow. $8 million net worth according to this site.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/mike-matusow-net-worth/

Don't know how reliable it is though, probably not very.

Last edited:
rancidcarp

rancidcarp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Gamblin money aint got no home" I guess these guys net worth can change nightly. I wonder how many of them are broke regularly.

carloskmargo

carloskmargo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the truth of the matter is that mike blames the black friday (FTP) no longer has the economic solvency gave FTP to be representative of the living room, second thought 2 million right now for mike matusow is a lot of money (2014) and as trying to pay (ted forest) forest in easy payments but says he sees payments as well and is very complicated, because it ends up seeing 2 million in 2020, but I'm bad at first payments were to 5k.jajajaja

S

srissofredi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Second of all just like I would imagine Mike Matusow doing is making up what seems to be lies and excuses and blaming Full Tilt Poker lol

Apparently, if I remember the article correctly, Ted only bet $150K to win 1 or $2 million (depending on the date). I'd say that's a good bet.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Apparently, if I remember the article correctly, Ted only bet $150K to win 1 or $2 million (depending on the date). I'd say that's a good bet.

It's a good bet if the guy you are betting will pay you that bet.

A valid point was brought up that I didn't think fo and that he was being paid by FTP at the time before black Friday but I still wouldn't hold Mike to 2 million dollars..

He just seems to me to be bad with money he is a great poker player he probably wins the most poker tournaments percentage wise meaning he doesn't play many but when he does play he just seems to go deep or win..

I don't know if this is still true or not since the game got harder and I don't follow Mike Matusow career..

S

srissofredi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a good bet if the guy you are betting will pay you that bet.

A valid point was brought up that I didn't think fo and that he was being paid by FTP at the time before black Friday but I still wouldn't hold Mike to 2 million dollars..

He just seems to me to be bad with money he is a great poker player he probably wins the most poker tournaments percentage wise meaning he doesn't play many but when he does play he just seems to go deep or win..

I don't know if this is still true or not since the game got harder and I don't follow Mike Matusow career..

Yeah, Matusow seems like a typically dumb smart guy (if that makes any sense). I think Matusow made the bet half-jokingly, whilst drunk and under the influence of delusional fat guy complex regarding weight-loss, without really thinking it through. And Forrest, being the shrewd hyena he is, pounced at the opportunity. Firstly the proportions of the bet doesn't make any sense; 2 million to win 150K. What seasoned gambler would agree to those terms? Secondly, how can you not get a bet that size in printing if it's actually a serious bet? And thirdly, the bet in itself, the requirement to win $2million, is just ridiculous.

Anyone not suffering from a morbidly severe eating disorder could lose 48 lbs (and it was probably less than that given that he weight in full after a meal and with clothes) in 2 month given that kind of incentive. You don't even have to lose the entire weight, you could easily cut 10-15 lbs of that frame by dehydrating a day before the weight-ins. I would've taken that bet even money in a heart-beat even if I don't have $2 million.

It's really the dumbest bet I've ever heard about.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone not suffering from a morbidly severe eating disorder could lose 48 lbs (and it was probably less than that given that he weight in full after a meal and with clothes) in 2 month given that kind of incentive. You don't even have to lose the entire weight, you could easily cut 10-15 lbs of that frame by dehydrating a day before the weight-ins. I would've taken that bet even money in a heart-beat even if I don't have $2 million.

The long and short of it is... yes, Matusow was an idiot for taking the bet. He apparently thought losing that much weight could even kill Forrest.

How feasible it all is really depends on the body composition of the person in question. For a guy like Matusow who's got plenty of fat on him it'd be one thing. Forrest on the other hand is apparently 5'11 and was in reasonable shape to start with so he might have been looking at needing to lose some muscle as well as fat before dehydrating. And dehydration can have severe consequences if you get it wrong...

However he did it, he certainly looked like a different person at the end:

20140914032209.gif

Keep in mind too that the bet was going on during the wsop, so Forrest was going to be spending long hours doing nothing but sitting at a poker table.

So yeah, Matusow was stupid for thinking this was impossible. But on the other hand, it wasn't exactly an easy proposition for Forrest either.

S

srissofredi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The long and short of it is... yes, Matusow was an idiot for taking the bet. He apparently thought losing that much weight could even kill Forrest.

How feasible it all is really depends on the body composition of the person in question. For a guy like Matusow who's got plenty of fat on him it'd be one thing. Forrest on the other hand is apparently 5'11 and was in reasonable shape to start with so he might have been looking at needing to lose some muscle as well as fat before dehydrating. And dehydration can have severe consequences if you get it wrong...

However he did it, he certainly looked like a different person at the end:

Keep in mind too that the bet was going on during the WSOP, so Forrest was going to be spending long hours doing nothing but sitting at a poker table.

So yeah, Matusow was stupid for thinking this was impossible. But on the other hand, it wasn't exactly an easy proposition for Forrest either.

It's definitely not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but it's doable, and that's really all it need to be with a $2 million incentive. That's what I meant saying anyone could do it. And losing a chunk of muscle, which you obviously is going to have to do, seems like a small price to pay. And you can always get help with the dehydration at an MMA or boxing gym, or just hiring a wrestling coach. Man why don't I ever get offered bets like this, I probably woulda done it for 10K. (Any takers?) :D

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol this is funny but i have to ask why was this a public issue its almost like the jerry springer show. why people do what they do? lmao--oh excuse me i can see why its was a public issue ty. amusing and interesting and entertaining

Last edited: