Ryan Riess Takes Down the 2013 WSOP Main Event

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ryan Riess is the 2013 wsop Main Event bracelet winner after battling with Jay Farber for hours last night.

Farber was the chip leader at the start of the heads up match but it didn't take long for the chip stacks to even out.

Riess eventually took the lead and probably could have ended the match much sooner if he had called the 6 high bluff that Farber got away with in a big hand. Riess tanked for a while and Farber kept a stone poker face the entire time. It was a gutsy move and it paid off putting Farber back in the game.

Riess appeared to be getting most of the cards and hitting the flop a lot more often than Farber - but Farber held in there and made a comeback from a short stack.

23 year old Riess took home a $8,361,750 prize along with the coveted bracelet. Farber didn't do so bad himself - 2nd place paid $5,174,357.

Riess was very emotional as he thanked his supporters.

Congrats to Ryan Riess and also to Jay Farber for their top 2 finishes in the biggest poker event of the year.

rdm4k

rdm4k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow

gg reiss. I'd love to see that hand!

Salvete777

Salvete777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Didn't watched live, but seen hands in wsop.com. Later maybe watch replay on youtube.
Riess eat up Farbers stack after that 58M chip hand.

C

cleiton1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a big dream the achievement he did only 23 old a lot of money fame i hope one day to do this congrats to himm he is big!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is quite a bit of controversy over his post win interview. He said he is the best poker player in the world.

That is quite a claim to make and it is not sitting well with the poker community.

babydrago9

babydrago9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest I really wanted Ryan Reiss to win, he seems like a great plaayer who plays excellent poker and works his ass off playing the game. He is the type of person who is great to be the face of poker, as he will be seen in many events in the future and will do well in so. He has the confidence to do so thats of course a certainty.
Jay Farber on the other hand isn't even a pro player, he won't be playing too much. You'll only really see him at WSOP events, not travelling the world playing the game he loves like others. Instead he still wants to be a VIP club host, don't think he would be good at all as ambassador for the game. Still he's a genuine great guy, but nowhere near as enthusiastic for the game as Reiss.

babydrago9

babydrago9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is quite a bit of controversy over his post win interview. He said he is the best poker player in the world.

That is quite a claim to make and it is not sitting well with the poker community.

He reportedly said before the match he will win as he is the best player at the table too. To be fair he did eventually win it, Esfandiari ended up eating his words because he was just laughing after hearing what Reiss said haha.

Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Confidence is everything in poker. Every poker player who plays thinks they are the best at the table. If they didn't they would have already lost. He made the statement now he has to back it up

HajiBobo

HajiBobo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried to stay up and watch the ending, just couldn't keep my eye's open any more. Was really hoping to see Farber take it down with the come back from 14 big blinds he had left, but the poor kid just could not catch cards to save his ass. But 2nd place still a great victory and should be proud of that accomplishment. Riess was just on fire and could do no wrong "except not calling that bluff" that would have ended the match early in the game. It doesn't look good for us old folk, these young guns have a lot of balls and heart. Congrats to both and hope to see them both in the future.

Last edited:
Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I was quite surprised when he said that.

He was totally serious too. Poker players and egos go hand in hand.

But the way he just matter-of-factly says "I am the best player in the world" really shocked me.

All that aside, he did play pretty well throughout the televised coverage leading up to the FT.

I would like to see him lock horns with Dwan or Ivey.

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched live on ESPN and I wanted to Jay Farber win the bracelet, but with more luck "The Beast" was better than "The Panda". Maybe Jay Farber should go all-in with the 55s when Riess had AJ, but in most of the hands he didn't have luck, he only once made KK when he left with 10 millions chips and Riess fold in that hand. However congratulations to the both of them, maybe it was a little longer heads-up that we expected, but they showed us an amazing game.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I totally agree on the 55 hand - was shocked he folded that with the stack he had.

M

Misdir

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Confidence is one thing but arrogance is another and will surely not sit well with the poker community. At 23, pretty hard to say you're the best; give it another 10 years of playing day-in and day-out to see how your performance stacks up.

HajiBobo

HajiBobo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree on the 55 hand - was shocked he folded that with the stack he had.
I totally agree with that he should have went all in with the poc 5s being so short stacked, but he got to the final table and who am I to say it was wrong.

U

Under_EV

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On a slight tangent, I worked at the WSOP this year and Ryan Riess was the first player who I had to ask who he was. Maybe that's what spurred him on to win :)

I'm available to talk to you so you can follow in his footsteps. Just send $1,500 to.......

Danilo

Danilo

5am Club
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats to the winner :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't read any of the thread in case there is more info on what happened but thanks for the big spoiling title!!

Some people have DVR you know so how about a title like " And the winner of the 2013 WSOP Main Event is....." then you can name the winner on the first post of the thread.

Sorry for venting at you Dax just damn been trying to avoid the news for 2 days and blam there is was on the main page

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't read any of the thread in case there is more info on what happened but thanks for the big spoiling title!!

Some people have DVR you know so how about a title like " And the winner of the 2013 WSOP Main Event is....." then you can name the winner on the first post of the thread.

Sorry for venting at you Dax just damn been trying to avoid the news for 2 days and blam there is was on the main page

I have DVR too....

I avoided looking at thread titles until I was caught up.

Funny you should mention this. I thought to myself something like "Man I am glad I already watched the FT, cause I wouldn't want to see that yet if I didn't." when I saw the thread on the main page of CC.

H

hrix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Erghhh, I was fanning for Benefield. But, congrats to Ryan, anyway

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I heard Ryan say "I just think I'm the best in the world", but I haven't heard all the interviews. Aren't you supposed to think like that on the FT?

It was the same self-confidence he displayed before the final table. He just knew he would win, and now it looks like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I admire his confidence, even if it makes him sound naive to repeat winners.

G

gazrosenau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow

gg reiss. I'd love to see that hand!
On the final hand, Hand #261 of the final table, Farber was all in with the
qs.gif
5s.gif
against Riess'
ah.gif
kh.gif
. While Riess had a powerful hand in the confrontation, Farber had two very live cards and a solid chance at doubling up once again.
Following the
jd.gif
10d.gif
4c.gif
flop, Farber was looking for a five to stay alive. His queen would now give Riess a Broadway straight, and that would've spelled the end. The turn was the
3c.gif
, leaving just one more card for Riess to dodge.
The
4d.gif
paired the board on the river, and the swarming began. Riess' rail stormed the stage, engulfing the new champion and piling on top of him. Chants of "Riess the beast!" rang loud throughout the Penn & Teller Theater, but Riess made sure to fight his way out of the pack and congratulate Farber on a job well done.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree with that he should have went all in with the poc 5s being so short stacked, but he got to the final table and who am I to say it was wrong.

after i think its was 4b,5b very surprised to see farber not push with it. He was getting outplayed by Riess the whole night and began to lose confidence after his Ace high loss

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I heard Ryan say "I just think I'm the best in the world", but I haven't heard all the interviews. Aren't you supposed to think like that on the FT?

It was the same self-confidence he displayed before the final table. He just knew he would win, and now it looks like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I admire his confidence, even if it makes him sound naive to repeat winners.

Of course confidence is good.

But saying that on international TV just comes off as arrogant and will piss people off.

He is good, but to say he is the best in the world? I don't know about that.

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congratulations to Reiss but that post interview may come back to haunt him.

Farber played well for someone who isn’t a full time player
but he never really had the hands to challenge.

:cool:

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I have DVR too....

I avoided looking at thread titles until I was caught up.

Funny you should mention this. I thought to myself something like "Man I am glad I already watched the FT, cause I wouldn't want to see that yet if I didn't." when I saw the thread on the main page of CC.

Changed thread title - but seriously if I really didn't want to know the last place I would visit is a poker forum. :p

As a matter of fact I wouldn't get out of bed or do anything at all until I could watch it lol.

I have deleted 2 other threads today (because we only need 1) and both of those had his name in the title too.

I heard it within a few minutes of turning on my tv this morning (and it was not on a sports channel), it is all over Twitter, facebook and most poker related sites including forums. (with his name in the title - just google his name and look at the 1st few pages).

WSOP