Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
http://www.wsop.com/2012/structuresheets/12149-structure.pdf

Just curious what people think of this event. It is new at the wsop this year, and is exactly as it sounds. There are no blinds in this tournament, only antes, but it is no limit.

"Pre-flop: Action will start with the player to the left of the dealer button. Players will act in turn having the option to fold, bring in for the minimum amount posted for each level, or raise up to All-In. The remaining players in the hand will have the option to fold, call, or raise.

Post-flop: Action will start with the player to the left of the dealer button. Players will act in turn having the option to check, or bet the minimum bring in up to and including all-in. The remaining players in the hand will have the option to fold, call, or raise."

The full structure is in the link above. This seems like the kind of event that a lot of amateurs will enter, expecting to do well, without really understanding how the dynamics of the game will change with no blinds. Thoughts? :D

Edit: Entry is $1,500, so not one of the more expensive events.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting game - will be cool to see who final tables this one.

TEG2300

TEG2300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm so there is the possibility that it folds around and then what? Wonder how this dynamic would change short seated? Really interesting.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmmm so there is the possibility that it folds around and then what? Wonder how this dynamic would change short seated? Really interesting.

I'm guessing action would almost never fold all the way around, but if it did, the pot would go to the last player in. So if it folded to the button, the button would take down all the antes. A crazy thought - can't imagine that happens in the early levels, or probably even before any tables are short-handed.

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting. The action could fold all the way around at times, since the button is last to act preflop. In games with blinds, there is the added advantage of late position steals with weaker hands because when called you have position on the SB/BB. Not so in this version of the game.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had several friends playing in this today - will ask them about it tomorrow.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting. The action could fold all the way around at times, since the button is last to act preflop. In games with blinds, there is the added advantage of late position steals with weaker hands because when called you have position on the SB/BB. Not so in this version of the game.

Perhaps, but at least in early levels, I think there will be limpers. Which means that someone in LP can really exploit those players by raising it up, and often taking down the min-bets and ALL the dead money from the antes.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mickey Petersen ‏@mickeydp
Ivey sat down in the ante-up tournament and asked where the blinds were with a more confused look on his face than in the boat hand vs Tilly

What a dude

GOIVIT

GOIVIT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to hand it to the WSOP they are always looking for new ways to get players involved.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. This should change how some players play. No more stealing the blinds just the antes.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to hand it to the WSOP they are always looking for new ways to get players involved.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. This should change how some players play. No more stealing the blinds just the antes.

Yeah, except that stealing the antes is generally what makes "stealing the blinds" in tournaments so effective when you're deep into it. While it's true that it won't be as profitable LATE in the tournament when normally you have big blinds AND big antes, it will be MORE profitable EARLY in the tournament where there is a relatively large amount of dead money in the pot.

I guess it depends on what the blinds to antes ratio is, but I think that stealing the dead money in the pot will have less spread of value throughout the tournament. Usually stealing early is almost pointless, but 100% necessary later on. Here I imagine it will be somewhat profitable and only increase slightly as the tourney progresses. Can't wait!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It wouldn't ever fold all the way around. Since it is antes only everyone is already in the pot for the ante amount. It could check all the way around but not fold.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting, this is misleading then: "fold, bring in for the minimum amount posted for each level, or raise up to All-In." This doesn't suggest that you are allowed to check, does it? Or do I just not know what "bring in" means? ^.^:

TEG2300

TEG2300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is the way I read it too. I thought it meant that you had to "bring in" for the predetermined amount for that level or forfeit your hand. Any one able to clear that up. Also is there any footage of this yet?

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I first started playing poker ante only, was only way I played it, I didn't even know what small blind and big blind was until later on

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting, this is misleading then: "fold, bring in for the minimum amount posted for each level, or raise up to All-In." This doesn't suggest that you are allowed to check, does it? Or do I just not know what "bring in" means? ^.^:

Oh - then it is played similar to a stud game I guess with a bring in. I assumed antes only meant antes only.

Then the person with the forced bring in would win the pot.

Last edited:
WSOP