Jason Somerville Twitch Final Table

Adubzz

Adubzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jason Somerville is on the final table of the Pokerstar's 1000 Super Tuesday, playing for a 600,000 dollar prize pool. First pays out 106,000 dollars.
Check it out live at
http://www.twitch.tv/jcarverpoker.
If you are reading this after everything is said and done you can watch the recording on his twitch channel.

C

crazyesdumno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was a fun one to watch live, definitely picked up some ideas about playing smallpots when having that midstack and waiting for the shorties to bust.

Glad imaLucSac busted 4th, I think he tried to play mindgames / levelling by suggesting a deal and never checking the box / intending to do so.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, he just started playing on pokerstars, and has already reached the final table of a big tournament.. A very good result for him, nice..

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
His stream is the best,from just what I saw

lulu pk

lulu pk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love to watch him,he is a great commentator and player.I was watching him yesterday for some time but i miss the final table,to late for me.
Great result!

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most entertaining poker streamer on earth! But i like PokerStaples and Gripsed too. One can learn a lot about tournament poker from those three!

T

trancefan

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I happened to open up PokerStaples Twitch page and it was streaming Jason at the final table. Enjoyed it much better than watching someone else trying to explain 4 tables on a screen at once. I learned some things but I can say that I personally would have played tighter after getting over 500,000 chips.

JaxA

JaxA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most entertaining poker streamer on earth! But i like PokerStaples and Gripsed too. One can learn a lot about tournament poker from those three!

For sure! I've been a fan of Jason and Evan both for years now, its really cool to see their followings grow. Jason especially is just blowing up over the last year or so. I can't wait to see where Jcarver and Gripsed go from here out. I'm lucky enough to have a few article posted on Gripsed.com, and I really enjoy being a part of these great communities. I haven't really watched a lot of PokerStaples, but from the lil bit I have seen he seems pretty cool.

S

sardyn1987

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Can i find all of the videos on archive, or only someone?

Adubzz

Adubzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I happened to open up PokerStaples Twitch page and it was streaming Jason at the final table. Enjoyed it much better than watching someone else trying to explain 4 tables on a screen at once. I learned some things but I can say that I personally would have played tighter after getting over 500,000 chips.

The funny thing is I've been watching Jcarver for a long time and this is the tightest I've ever seen him play. He made some big laydowns that session, which is out of character for him.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've caught pieces of Jason's feed as well and it certainly has helped my mindset in spots. He is entertaining but also is sharing information that is only helpful for a poker player.

As for the previous post, I think that as he's streaming, he's always striving to improve his game. He seems to have done a great job at flattening the variance that many players experience and in the long term, will make him an overall winner.

He certainly knows where his strengths and areas of improvement are, as he has acknowledged that there are parts of his game that aren't at the same level as others out there, and that's good to hear somebody be that honest about his/her game.

I saw most of the last portion of his deep run on Tuesday and was very impressed with how he played both when he had a stack, but even more so when he was short. Watching him, you just felt that he was always in control of the situation whether he had 20+ bb's or was in single digits.

I plan on watching as much of his broadcasts as I can. I'll check out some of the others as well as there is plenty of content to digest.

Adubzz

Adubzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I
I plan on watching as much of his broadcasts as I can. I'll check out some of the others as well as there is plenty of content to digest.
Check out his archives, I think someone posted the link earlier. If you are looking to learn from his streams, check out his old Tutorial Tuesday sessions. I loved those streams because he went into even more depth each hand than usual.

PershingSt

PershingSt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was really cool to watch Summerville and Assassinato both deep in this streaming . Assassinato fell a lil short to the FT , but it was incredible to be able to get so much information from 2 great players while they were playing for so much money . The amount of information going out on twitch for free is starting to become mind boggling .

UhhWee

UhhWee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha i laughed he pushes 33 during bubble against bigstack called with 88. but thats Jason! Good man and great fun to watch him but guys i just would fold 33 there and wait until the 100 remaining player will bust! what do u think?

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haha i laughed he pushes 33 during bubble against bigstack called with 88. but thats Jason! Good man and great fun to watch him but guys i just would fold 33 there and wait until the 100 remaining player will bust! what do u think?
Well, to be able to adequately answer your question, which is fair, we'd need more information.

What were the stack sizes of both he and his opponent?
What were their positions in that hand?
What was the table dynamic? Was it tight? (thinking that it's a bubble situation, it probably was).

Just some general comments on the play though. I think the play is fine, because he's not looking to min-cash a tournament. He's looking for spots to accumulate chips, and more often than not, he's being called by two overcards and is in a coinflip situation as a slight favorite. In the long run, it's a profitable play I think on his part. If he doubles up, it gives him more chips to apply even greater pressure on the rest of the table, and on the bubble, it's about chip accumulation.

Would I have shoved? Well, in a vacuum, it's hard to say, but I probably would part of the time, and fold part of the time.

But if you have more information, please share it with us. I think this thread has potential to be a good spot to discuss tournament strategy, but without enough information, the answers you'll get will be on incomplete information on your part.

adamchikas

adamchikas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well his main argument was that he didn't really care about the min-prize. He was looking much ahead, being brave and stuff. Ofc I would have just sit out and waited, and would definetly make a profit.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well his main argument was that he didn't really care about the min-prize. He was looking much ahead, being brave and stuff. Ofc I would have just sit out and waited, and would definetly make a profit.

Exactly my point. He doesn't care about a min-cash in a tournament. Think of it this way, what would you rather do? Min-cash (or thereabouts) 5-6 out of every 10 tournaments you play or win a big score 1 out of 10 tries? The latter is more profitable, and the strategy he and many other professionals like himself employ is to apply pressure to those who feel the pressure to get to a certain point. At this point, it's when the most mistakes are made by amateur players.

That said, I'd like more information on the 33 bustout hand, though I suspect that my response won't vary too much.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must not have been watching the Super Tuesday stream

I've seem him on a bubble situation, and I've heard him say that a cash is good and he's not going to do anything to jeopardize his stack. If he's short, he'll be more cautious, but he will take advantage of spots better than most people though. I've heard him say many times that he wants to preserve his ammunition as well, so he's probably somewhere in between.

andrew0211

andrew0211

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Advanced Member

good chance! good luck