2014 Main Event $10Mil for winner

W

waterboy73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I couldn't help but ponder some things after hearing about this and reading the article... So with them guaranteeing $10 million to 1st place. Are they changing the payout structure to assure that the winner gets $10 million? Or is this possibly the 1st year that there could be an overlay on the main event? I think it's kind of ambitious of them, and I'm curious to see final number of entrants on the main event. It all sounds good, but I don't think they will get that many more players in this year's main event to make the 1st place prize $10 million. So the only other thing that makes sense is them altering the payout structure, and making it that much more top heavy.

MiamiMadePunk

MiamiMadePunk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$10 mil? More like $4 to $6 million after the I.R.S robs your money for taxes.

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I couldn't help but ponder some things after hearing about this and reading the article... So with them guaranteeing $10 million to 1st place. Are they changing the payout structure to assure that the winner gets $10 million? Or is this possibly the 1st year that there could be an overlay on the main event? I think it's kind of ambitious of them, and I'm curious to see final number of entrants on the main event. It all sounds good, but I don't think they will get that many more players in this year's main event to make the 1st place prize $10 million. So the only other thing that makes sense is them altering the payout structure, and making it that much more top heavy.

The second paragraph of the article says they will be adjusting the payouts to guarantee the 10m prize. I think this will help draw attention to the event, but I don't find it more appealing knowing that money will be taken from other places.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The second paragraph of the article says they will be adjusting the payouts to guarantee the 10m prize. I think this will help draw attention to the event, but I don't find it more appealing knowing that money will be taken from other places.

Well according to the page, its a similar set up with the million maker tournament. Also note that the $10 mil for 1st is guaranteed, total prize pool is not guaranteed.

What exactly does a $10 million guaranteed first place payday mean?

It just means that, for absolute certain, someone will walk off the Penn & Teller stage with ten million bucks. It’s primarily a modified payout approach, and we’re up front in that regard. We’ll start with a $10 million payout for first place independent of total entries, and then cascade the balance of the prize pool by percentages in much the same fashion we’ve always done it. This is the same device we used for the Millionaire Maker last year, which worked out well. We believe we can dial up the Main Event chatter in 2014, making the dream of winning even more vivid.

Is there a guaranteed prize pool?

No. We understand focusing on first place is a different approach than most tournaments take with respect to guarantees, but, then again, the Main Event at the World Series of Poker is different than most tournaments. We can get a pretty good estimate on attendees given the past 10 years.

http://www.wsop.com/news/2014/Feb/4690/TY-STEWART-TALKS-10-MILLION-MAIN-EVENT-PAYDAY-AND-2014-WSOP.html

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stupid Idea....

Do I think this yr it might catch some eyes and maybe get 10-15 people to enter who otherwise wouldn't, sure maybe.

In the long run though structures like this take money out of the poker community committing more to taxes and robusto folks who will spend it elsewhere generally.

Harrahs is just so shortsighted with their rake schedule and now this....it just irks me to no end.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guaranteed for first place pointless , If there is a big gap between first and second place , be deal no matter . But this event, I think will be a good influx of people with 10M first place..

Z

Zin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10 million to 1st place, lol. All this means 2nd place and so on have to give up some of there winnings to pay the winner, very stupid idea.

sunburnt2k11

sunburnt2k11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's not a good idea if I don't make first place but a hella of a great idea if i made first place!!! ;)

trekmaster

trekmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hope I shot at a prize like that at least once in my lifetime. :)

Cephas

Cephas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think that is bull taking away from other prizes. 1 million guarantee (or almost for the final table makes "losing" worthwhile. Take away from that and you take away from the spirit of the game. Even the 20k for the top 600 or so or making the money makes it worthwhile.

Don't do it.:mad:

R

racorel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if I win a prize so big I dedicate my life to poker

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
love the prizepool for this hope i have the funds to go and play in the tournment

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
very bad idea for all other Players who will take part..cos they gonna make gtd 10 mil $ prize by taking out from other payouts .. it ll not encourage me ..cos ist like buy a 10 bucks Lotto to win 1 mil bucks .. not good at all

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually think that 10million guaranteed would draw much more players in the main event. I can say i am sure bout that, cuz you see in online tourney with great guaranteed money there are often so many players that cover the guaranteed prize pool and even make it bigger. : )

NANUNANU

NANUNANU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched last years main event. Rugrats making it impossible this year.... maybe in like 10 years I can go to another one :) GL to any CCers that may be playing in it. Give me a few dollas if ya win okay ? :) need diaper money plz :)

Leprekahn

Leprekahn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its just a creative advertising ploy as they can generate more interest in the tournament if on every ad they state 10 mill to the winner. I think more people will want to watch the tournament on TV and also I think more will enter the tournament as well.

I don't think It will be a huge impact but it should create some sort of buzz.

L

Lucky_z_UA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
better guarantee for first decreased and increased prizes for you to lose 10,000 is bad

T0mmmi

T0mmmi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a money for that 1st place !

I would be not be surprised if that 1st place money going to be more than those $ 10 mil. as many of those who can afford the buy-in will for sure wanna take part in such money loaded tournament. :) One day when i would be able to afford the buy-in i am going definitely to play in such tournament.

R

racorel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a prize :)))) I if I win I would move in Tahiti...Anyway I think I will take one of the established players: D...

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not much difference from 2013 is 170k more for this magnitude of event would have to have more money ..

Winner Poker