What's reason do you generally bust out of a tournament?

T

thefwa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it blinding away? Not playing enough hands? Playing too many hands? Impatience? A few bad beats in a row (or a huge one)?

For me, it's either getting married to hand like AKs (that didnt hit), cbetting a known calling station, and getting raised all in by the river, resulting in a need to fold with a now short stack. Which needs luck to stay alive.

Or it's impatience when having a pretty low M/CSI and going all in preflop with something marginal, like AJo or 77(-).

Or finally my favorite, trying to be the table police on the bully big stack with an extremely marginal hand when he actually has a hand that time...

I'm trying to fix these up (and whichever ones replace them), but the tendencies tend to come into play at one point or another, and that's busto.

It's a little funny when I think about it, aside from the bad beats, these 3 are almost always the reason I'm out, or at least have a crippled stack.
What are yours?

D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it blinding away? Not playing enough hands? Playing too many hands? Impatience? A few bad beats in a row (or a huge one)?

For me, it's either getting married to hand like AKs (that didnt hit), cbetting a known calling station, and getting raised all in by the river, resulting in a need to fold with a now short stack. Which needs luck to stay alive.

Or it's impatience when having a pretty low M/CSI and going all in preflop with something marginal, like AJo or 77(-).

Or finally my favorite, trying to be the table police on the bully big stack with an extremely marginal hand when he actually has a hand that time...

I'm trying to fix these up (and whichever ones replace them), but the tendencies tend to come into play at one point or another, and that's busto.

It's a little funny when I think about it, aside from the bad beats, these 3 are almost always the reason I'm out, or at least have a crippled stack.
What are yours?

Gotta love and hate that! :mad: :D

Sounds about right. Poker boredom maybe. All the players who are inactive or sit out that just ruins my game!

Mordecoke

Mordecoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main reason I bust out is because I lost an almost even flip or because I got it in good on the flop and the guy gets lucky by the river.
I never bust out because I played bad, or because I tilted.
I try to stay calm and cool throughout the whole MTT and wait for monster or Good hands with a short stack.
To win a MTT you have to be able to get it in good and win flips.
You got to know when to fold pocket queens or kings.
You also have to constantly see how people bet/play at your table.

Also when you are close to the final table, try railing other tables so it can be easier to see how close you are to the final table.
It helps with hand decisions sometimes. You'll know what I mean when you get there. Again good luck.! :)

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to think I bust out getting it in good and being sucked out on, but in reality sometimes I get it in bad, playing well. For example pushing with 12 BBs after a MP raises 3BBs and a LP calls with KK. The EP shows AA that holds up.

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Top 3 reasons for me:
1. Boredom
2. Tired
3. I fell asleep

S

shawkid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love my marginal hands way too much. AJ is my enemy. I also call too much with my pocket pairs and commit with middle pair. To sum it up I am a horrible poker player :)

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Picking the wrong spot for a shove is usually what does me in. Last night I made it to the final 40 of a Bovada MTT with more than 600 runners. I had about 100K chips and was in about 15th place. Really well positioned to make a deep run. I got AQ in middle position. It folded to me, so I went all-in pre-flop and of course, the BB had AK. And a bigger stack than me. Sayonara me!

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A streak of crappiest hand lol.

S

Sonaaaaa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love my marginal hands way too much. AJ is my enemy. I also call too much with my pocket pairs and commit with middle pair. To sum it up I am a horrible poker player :)

This man already wrote what I was going to write.

I have an issue with when the hands are not being dealt the way I like them too and I am being blinded out and then suddenly I think "I know, I'll go all in here and pick up the blinds with 10,7 off".

I'll keep plugging away.

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally I bust out when i am pretty card dead and i get shoved on every single blindsteal i make, and the shover has a vpip of 14.

martymart48

martymart48

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometime badluck on river or lose all in.

razshahan

razshahan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1> boredom
2> tilting :p
3> lack of concentration (facebooking)
4> cold cards

knileh

knileh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to bust out due to the increasing blinds, I used to play only premium hands, the hands you either raise or fold; I've since gotten a grasp on opening my hole card range and call with more hands than many would agree with, this has helped me stay in the game and give myself the chance to take the lead without risking all my chips on one hand.

Now, I bust out due to ****iness from having the most chips. My ****iness takes over when I want to be the bully of the table and pay off mediocre players (who's the mediocre one here...hmmm lol).

Once I make it to the bubble I play very well taking blinds because I become aggressive. After the bubble has burst I get more tight than I have been in the whole tournament.

I have yet to make it to head up play in a mtt. Any tips to get into HU would be appreciated.

Thanks, and I hope I helped someone.

T

thefwa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, with big stack, I'm starting to bully the table more. And at one point or another I run into somebody who has 3/4 or so of my stack and beats my straight or my flush (something in that range), rendering my stack to average/below average, then going all in on the first pair over 8's and I get a big stack caller that hits a hand like AQo and beats me. Something in that nature.

M

mycophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, with big stack, I'm starting to bully the table more. And at one point or another I run into somebody who has 3/4 or so of my stack and beats my straight or my flush (something in that range), rendering my stack to average/below average, then going all in on the first pair over 8's and I get a big stack caller that hits a hand like AQo and beats me. Something in that nature.

Story of my life. Was in 1st of about 20 people (out of 654) the other night, picked up pocket jacks. Short stacked person shoves with AQ off suit, I call. I flop a set but they hit 4 cards to a flush on the river putting me slightly above average .. and on tilt. It always seems to be the river for me.

But to get more direct with the topic, I personally tend to fold until the money bubble breaks if I have enough to cover the blinds, which seems accurate for a lot of other people as well. People get knocked out every 5ish hands up until there's like 3 to the bubble, and then it's one every 15 hands. A lot of times I end up short stacked and shove with something like Q9 off suit. And losing.

Not a great strategy, and I'd consider that a "leak" in my personal game, but eh. For me, blinding away with guaranteed money is a better option than getting sucked out on and not making anything.

Last edited:
PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting bad beat, losing coinflips and sometimes my instinct says to make a big lay down, then i don't and i should have.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And some hands are ofcourse played by their self. Like flopping a lower set then your opponent. Thats just gg can't do anything about it. Chips will go in.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually because I lost the last hand I plaed

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually lose to a loose fish preflop all the chips in the middle with my hand the favorite.

avibar

avibar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mostly i bust on a flip thet i lose,but once in a while i bust on a spew hand
:eek::eek:

Sent from my BLADE III_IL

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well for me it's probably being too much risk with mediocre hands where I know I am probably beat, but being a stuborn non-believer :p

J

JLuv81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its usually by losing a pivotal hand and then punting my short stack out of tilt.

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Those are marginal hands to shove with a low M? Maybe that's why I bust out so often. :D